Hydrogen Gas as an Aging Therapeutic?

I wonder if the effect of drinking more water as part of hydrogen water has been accounted for.

I bought a hydrogen gas generator last year. It splits water by electrolysis. You breathe only Hydrogen. The oxygen is vented.
I bubble hydrogen through water for 30 minutes and drink it. I know the amount taken in by this route is very small. But I also dissolve 1.5g taurine in the water so I get “2 birds with one stone” as it were. Then I breathe hydrogen gas for 1 hour each evening. So I take in hydrogen both ways.
My motivation for this was to see if it helped my atrial fibrillation. So what happened?
Well, with all the caveats that I am just “n=1” and this is only anecdotal etc I have noticed these changes:

1. My blood pressure/pulse rate monitor would frequently alert me that my pulse was “Irregular”. This was as often as 2-3 times/week. Since December this has reduced to a couple of times per month.
  2. My stamina, measured by my running a set course, has increased. I cannot attribute this solely to H2, as I’ve also been taking Sirolimus, but hydrogen has been reported in the literature to increase stamina in athletes.
  3. My episodes of AF are still occurring every 30-40 days. But they seem to be less severe and still respond to anti-arrhythmic drugs.
  4. Similarly to my changes in running, my gym sessions (3 x weekly) are feeling easier, even though the weights are getting heavier. I am getting visibly bigger and stronger around my shoulder/deltoids.
    All to be regarded as “FWIW”.
3 Likes

I neglected to mention I’m a white male, 178 cm, 73kg and 66 yo.

1 Like

What hydrogen gas generator did you purchase?

1 Like

I use this:

I cannot say specifically what it does as I have a broad range of things I do. There is a good published research base and oxidative stress from •OH is something I think worth minimising.

I have a morning routine intended to increase the level of H2 in my body beyond that created by the gut microbiome.

1 Like

I ordered

So if my little experiment seems helpful, I might take the next step.

I tend to try a lot of things eg Hydrogen, LIPUS, InfraRed, I tried UV, but have stopped that for some time now. It was useful up to a point in terms of generating vitamin D, but I prefer taking a supplement.

Following the comments on here about IR I am having another go with it.

Yes, I have been interested recently on the potential eye benefits of IR and near IR

I will buy a digital hydrogen test meter to see how much “hydrogen water” the magnesium rods produce. The magnesium rods seem to form plenty of bubbles but I don’t know how much they actually produce. I started with the magnesium rods because the Japanese report used them. They are simple to use. I just drop one in a bottle of reverse osmosis drinking water overnight. Maybe I try the experiment again and drink more of it for a longer time. It would be nice if you bought one then we could compare the generator you use with the magnesium rod methods. This is the one I just bought, but it has not arrived yet. I will let you know if I think it is any good.

2 Likes

That’s very cool, I was just going to trust it, but its better to measure it of course.

Any potential adverse effects from drinking water that have had magnesium rods soaking in it?

ChatGPT ells me that:
When a magnesium rod is placed in a bottle of water, it reacts with the water to produce hydrogen gas and magnesium hydroxide. The balanced chemical equation for the reaction is:

Mg(s) + 2H2O(l) → Mg(OH)2(aq) + H2(g)

So, the gas produced in this reaction is hydrogen gas (H2). The magnesium hydroxide that is also produced will dissolve in the water to form a slightly basic solution.

Wait… wasn’t the Hindenburg filled with hydrogen gas?

Is anyone here trying this doing any pre and post testing of inflammation to see if this hydrogen is having any impact on their body? Any reductions in hsCRP or other marker of inflammation?

One of the key issues of cellular health is mitochondrial efficiency. That is where exercise comes in and autophagy. I think hormesis (sauna, cold baths) also fall into that space. I think IR therapy has potential there and LIPUS might as well.

Obviously this is a thing for Rapamycin. My own view on age based diseases is that they are driven by two things, mitochondrial qualitiy that deteriorates in individual cells and senescence which impacts on cells through SASP. Both of these have an impact on Acetyl-CoA levels in the cytosol and nucleus. That then impacts on gene expression gradually reducing the expression of the longer genes which acts as a form of feedback both through increasing senescence and also through undermining autophagy because the beclin 1 gene BECLN1 is a long one.

1 Like

I think we are confusing inflammable with flammable. Am I wrong?

“If something is flammable it means it can be set fire to, such as a piece of wood. However, inflammable means that a substance is capable of bursting into flames without the need for any ignition”
I think hydrogen does need a spark.

1 Like

So we probably shouldn’t smoke cigarettes’ while we are drinking hydrogen water or inhaling the gas

2 Likes

head-explode

3 Likes

Yes, it was.

FWIW

The deepest open water dives{commercial diving operations] where performed by COMEX the famous{in the professional diving word] Hydra dives as it was known.

Divers where breathing over 50% hydrogen in the breathing gas used.

Depth was 1751 feet That is a human out in the water exposed to real pressure(778.75 psi at that depth)to this day no one has ever broken this record.

A quick over view of breathing hydrogen during a diving operations if interested see;

https://johnclarkeonline.com/tag/comex/

Yes - I’m a scuba diver, so I know about use of helium and hydrogen gas in diving… I’m just joking around about hydrogen gas risks…

The Hindenburg really helped put hydrogen on the map!

I received my first bottle of (Dr. Mercola) tablets for hydrogen-enhanced water. I didn’t buy a meter or anything. Supposedly they get to 8 ppm for about 500 ml of water. First impressions: I felt a good energy boost a few minutes after drinking that lasted for a short time. This was quite noticeable since I had very low energy today.

Caution if you buy these: There was a lot of pressure built up in the bottle prior to opening, and when I did, there was a very loud POP and a few of the tabs flew out. It was quite startling. Luckily I didn’t have it pointed anywhere near my face. My guess is that there was some humidity in the bottle that reacted with some of the magnesium to create some built up H2. I also live at about 5000 ft, so that may have been a factor as well.

Here’s a study on athletes where they drank about 2L per day, so larger amounts of water may be needed to see positive effects: