Hydrogen Gas as an Aging Therapeutic?

Keep raging. It produces good research, and benefits us all. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps a lot.
I will assume that the increased pressure in my PET plastic bottle indicates that the magnesium rods are working.
There is no immediate therapeutic need for me either medically or as an athlete, so I will be making and drinking ~ 500 mL/day of “hydrogen water” and I will see what it does to my health markers.

" PET an inert material that is widely accepted by health authorities as a safe plastic"

4 Likes

Just ordered my magnesium sticks. I will use your brand. I disavow any seeming endorsement of the alleged Japanese magnesium sticks. Amazon reviews are less than 4 stars.

2 Likes

@desertshores, I anxiously await your critique.

I am continuing to look into the benefits of hydrogen-enriched water.
It appears to mainly benefit the elderly.

Certainly, no supplement is cheaper. Approx. $25 for some magnesium rods, maybe a little more if you have to buy bottles. These should last for many months if not years.

Since we are often admonished to drink more water, why not add a little hydrogen?

Six-month HRW intake (0.5 L per day) favorably affected several aging-related features in healthy elderly.

HRW extended mean telomere length by ~4% and tended to improve DNA methylation.

This was accompanied by improved functioning and towards improved sleep quality.

HRW was safe and could be put forward as a promising anti-aging agent.
Owing to pleiotropic mechanisms of hydrogen action, this simple biomedical gas could be recognized as a possible anti-aging agent that tackles several hallmarks of aging, including loss of function and telomere length shortening.

The effects of 6-month hydrogen-rich water intake on molecular and phenotypic biomarkers of aging in older adults aged 70 years and over: A randomized controlled pilot trial

1 Like

This is all very interesting!

while googling ‘how to make hydrogen water Australia’, it appears there are a myriad of gadgets and water bottles that claim to do this for you.

Being a bit lazy, I’m inclined to invest in a bottle for 100-200 dollars rather than have to do it myself, but I’m not sure it it’s a scam or not.

I’d love some advice on the particular item that I’m thinking of buying - am I allowed to post a link here, or is that against the forum rules?

problem with posting links. Put them on their own line if you want them to drop down and show part of the page.

1 Like

Hydrogen-enriched water is easy enough for the average DIYer.
The amounts used in the Japanese studies just basically used water and magnesium rods. In fact from a bit of looking it appears that you will actually get a higher dose if you DIY.

The Japanese material appears to be partially encased in some kind of ceramic material. A. to provide a more aesthetic appearance for the consumer. B. To make more money.

If anyone can refute this please do. I won’t be offended.

Ready to start my hydrogen-enriched water journey.
I received my magnesium rods today about a week earlier than promised.

The magnesium rods look good, with only a couple of small imperfections on two of the rods.

FYI: These are from a company owned by Bob Lazar. If you don’t know who he is Google it.:smile:
Or, you can watch an interview with Joe Rogan on Youtube.

I will be waiting a while before I start so that I can get some baseline blood tests. Though they will be of limited use because, unlike Michael Lustgarten’s, my variables change almost daily.
I will be looking for long-term data sets to tell at least if I am going in the right direction.

In the meantime, I will be checking the integrity of my water bottles. I might have to install “O” rings to get a semi-hydrogen tight seal.
Ready to start my hydrogen-enriched water journey.
I received my magnesium rods today about a week earlier than promised.

The magnesium rods look good, with only a couple of small imperfections on two of the rods.

In the meantime, I will be checking the integrity of my water bottles. I might have to install “O” rings to get a semi-hydrogen tight seal.

2 Likes

I took the lazy man (woman)'s approach.

I bought a water bottle that hydrogenizes in 3 minutes.

See how I go, I guess:)

Got the magnesium sticks yesterday. Started the brew last night.

Forgot to buy PET bottles, so just bought a Snapple drink in a plastic bottle at the neighborhood store. Soaked the magnesium stick in a Vinegar (1 part) water (five parts) solution for a half hour. Then filled the Snapple bottle with water, and put the magnesium stick in. After about three hours, opened the bottle to drink. It smelled like drinks with a fizz (soda, beer), when you open them. So that indicates that some gas was formed. The fizz smell was even more pronounced this morning.

So it works; at least the gas making part. Will take time to see if its health effects work.

1 Like

I would think the Snapple bottles would be a best buy. The bottles I bought from Amazon do not seal tightly enough and I am going to install some “O” rings to get a tight seal. Or, maybe I just buy some Snapple drinks and not bother with the “O” rings. :grin:

1 Like

FWIW

Purchase glass bottle of kombucha, such as GTS brand. The glass bottles are designed to hold pressure.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Molecular Hydrogen tablets?

1 Like

I have not tried the tablets, but I do breathe 6% hydrogen each morning for 20 minutes. I have not, however, identified any consequences from this for me personally.

Have you been drinking the hydrogen-enriched water consistently since August? If so, how has it been going? Did you do any tests to check the hydrogen levels? Do you see any corrosion on the magnesium rods from frequent use?

Funny that they’re sold by Bob Lazar. Is he selling any element 115 yet??:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I made and drank it for about three months. No definitive way to measure the hydrogen content. The bottles became pressurized so I assume it was doing something. After approx. 3 months I had lab work done and didn’t see any measurable effects. Also, I did feel any subjective effects. It may do something long term but I didn’t feel like the hassle of making it for questionable benefits.
If someone had a firm belief and commitment I think lit would be best to purchase a commercial generator.

2 Likes

I haven’t done the maths, but I think generators generate quite a bit more H2 than the tablets. Obviously this would all be dose dependent so I will be wrong depending upon quantities.

Fart gas is ~20% hydrogen, so…

I knew H2 was produced in the gut, but that figure sounded high so I looked for a paper and found

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpgi.1997.272.5.G1028

Which studied 16 individuals and reported the percentage of various gases. I was surprised that in fact Molecular Hydrogen gas probably the most gas produced that is inflammable.

The percentages ranged from 8.3% of all gas to an amazing 63%. H2S was analysed separately, however. The average in this paper was 34.3%.

One of the previously cited papers states that Acarbose, the diabetes medication, will increase Hydrogen produced by gut bacteria.

The same paper states that it is troubling that there seems to be no dose-response relationship with drinking hydrogen water, or that much higher doses of hydrogen in the gut or via H2 inhalation seem to have a smaller effect than drinking hydrogen water which has relatively small amounts of H2 that has half life of only 10 minutes in the body.

1 Like