Hydrogen Gas as an Aging Therapeutic?

“but after inhaling hydrogen gas.”
Please tell us what that is all about.

2 Likes

Hi Charles,
As you know hydrogen is extremely small and can penetrate even metal. It reacts very well with OH. radicals to produce water. So when hydrogen is inhaled or taken in water or produced by gut bacteria it can neutralise free radicals.
Most of the studies done on this are by the Japanese. Mostly in mice but a few human trials. No interest from Big Pharma though as no money for them.
You can generate hydrogen easily at home or invest in a machine that produces it by electrolysis.
Search Google Scholar…fascinating stuff!
Cheers
DrT

2 Likes

I forgot to say…if generating hydrogen at home; don’t stroke the cat while breathing it!!!:joy_cat::joy_cat:

1 Like

Interesting - I’ve never run across this before. What do you feel are the benefits - given your research and experiences?

Some studies I’ve just come across:

Very interesting, how often do you use it? Do you feel any subjective increased well-being, etc?

Ah, just another lazy Sunday rabbit hole to go down.:relaxed:

The Japanese, Chinese, and others seem to on the forefront of alternative medicine because they are not reliant on or controlled by big pharma.

“Effects of molecular hydrogen on Alzheimer’s disease have been studied in three rodent models. First, Nagata and colleagues made a mouse model of dementia by restricting movement of mice for 10 hrs a day [22]. They analyzed cognitive functions through passive avoidance learning, object recognition tasks, and the Morris water maze and demonstrated that ad libitum administration of hydrogen-rich water efficiently ameliorated cognitive impairment”

“Hydrogen rich water was produced, by placing a metallic magnesium stick into drinking water (hydrogen concentration; 0.55–0.65 mM), by the following chemical reaction; Mg + 2H2O → Mg (OH)2 + H2. The consumption of hydrogen rich water for 8 weeks resulted in a 39% increase (p<0.05) in antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) and a 43% decrease (p<0.05) in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in urine. Further, subjects demonstrated an 8% increase in high density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol and a 13% decrease in total cholesterol/HDL-cholesterol from baseline to week 4”

And even better this article tells you how to produce enriched hydrogen water:

Effectiveness of Hydrogen Rich Water on Antioxidant Status of Subjects with Potential Metabolic Syndrome—An Open Label Pilot Study - PMC)2%20%2B%20H2.

2 Likes

Hi Admin,

From what I have read the benefits seem related to a reduction in inflammation. Many disease states can be traced back to excessive, continuous inflammation. That explains (IMO) the wide range of conditions that can benefit from hydrogen.
In the case of athletes, I think hydrogen may help performance by enhancing recovery. I have seen one paper in which elite runners increased their top speed after hydrogen treatment. If I was an Olympic level runner I’d be trying it…it’s not illegal AFAIK.

2 Likes

I’m trying it on alternate days.
The few times I have tried it I have “felt” great…but that is purely subjective.
Still subjective, but perhaps a bit less so, is the change in sleep I noted above.
My real reason for trying it is because I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and I have a hunch hydrogen might help, as AF is driven by fibrosis and inflammation. If my AF episodes decrease in frequency and/or severity (directly measurable) then I can objectively say it works.

2 Likes

I would like to experiment with hydrogen, can you share details of your procedures?

I have no expertise in this area. I am just going by what I have recently read. This is my own personal experiment and I am not recommending it to anyone. Use at your own risk.

I will be using magnesium rods that are available from Amazon, though they provide no proof of purity.
“High purity (99.995%) Magnesium rods. The rods measure 3-11/16” (93 mm) long x 5/8" (16 mm) diameter" “United Nuclear Magnesium Metal Rods - Pack of 5”

“H2 water stick was placed into the sealed water bottle for 12 h before consumption by the patients. The sealed cap of the bottle protected the H2 from escaping, thus preserving the H2 ions and molecules in the water. The water was drunk by patients within 15 min after opening the sealed cap, and the H2 concentration was maintained between 0.2 and 0.25 mM and pH between 7.8 and 8.2 measured by a H2 sensor (Unisense, Denmark) for continuous 15 min after opening the sealed cap. Subjects were instructed to reuse the magnesium sticks by transferring the sticks to a new bottle of water after use.”

“Hydrogen rich water was produced, by placing a metallic magnesium stick into drinking water”

“The portable magnesium stick was a safe, easy and effective method of delivering hydrogen rich water for daily consumption by participants in the study.”

“Hydrogen-rich water was produced by placing a metallic magnesium stick (Doctor SUISOSUI®, Friendear, Tokyo, Japan) into drinking water (Mg + 2H2O → Mg (OH)2 + H2; final hydrogen concentration: 0.55~0.65 mM). The magnesium stick contained 99.9% pure metallic magnesium and natural stones in a polypropylene and ceramic container.”

“The hydrogen water sticks were placed into distilled water for more than 6 h before use at room temperature. The hydrogen concentration was monitored by using a needle-type Hydrogen Sensor (Unisense A/S, Aarhus, Denmark) every week. The hydrogen water sticks were replaced every two weeks to ensure maintenance of hydrogen concentration (more than 600 μM).”

5 Likes

I use the “El-Cheapo” method:

I dissolve 4 teaspoons of NaOH (sold as drain-cleaner) in 500mL water.
I then add about 2 gm aluminium foil to the solution. The NaOH strips off the thin layer of aluminium oxide and allows the water to react with the aluminium. Hydrogen is produced.
I pipe the hydrogen to the bottom of a second jar about 80% full of water. Bubbling the gas through water helps remove sodium hydroxide vapour. I then inhale the hydrogen through a tube from the 2nd jar. You can see this method in videos on You-Tube.
Very important to wear non-static clothes and use flame-arrestors in the tubing. (And don’t stroke the cat!) You don’t want hydrogen to detonate!

The easy way (but more expensive) is to buy a home hydrogen generator.
If my primitive trial helps with atrial fibrillation then I’ll invest in a home generator. You can also find videos about them on You-Tube.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

From a review at Amazon, of another brand of magnesium rods.

For those making hydrogen water, what instructions do you follow?

Answer:

Yes very good information. These Magnesium rods are 99.99% Rated N4, If true these are safe to use for Hydrogen Water. Also using the Test tube method makes it a lot less likely that if there where impurities in the rods you won’t get it in the water.
By Plasmah… on April 9, 2020

I get screw top test tube I drill a 1/16 hole in top of cap. I add a 1/4 tsp of organic food grade malic acid, add water to 1" from top of the test tube and put cap on. Place test tube in a bottle,I use a 20 oz Gatorade bottle, fill bottle to the very,very top, put cap on,then place in freezer for 35 to 40 minutes,then gently shake for a minute or so. Then drink it. I got most of my information from YouTube.

my father has been diabetic for 20 years, and during that time he has been poorly disciplined, HbA1c= 9 or 10%, he has a small anodizing business, this process generates molecular hydrogen as a by-product, although he is not healthy, he has no indication of diabetic retinopathy or diabetic foot, I know that this anecdote has no value as evidence, but for years doctors have been astonished by his particular condition.

1 Like

Got to love this website, there is nothing escaping us on information regarding aging. Now we are jumping into hydrogen gas. I am loving this.

4 Likes

We went from my sore thumb to dropping magnesium rods into our water bottles! Fantastic.

3 Likes

Korean human study below:

In a randomized, double‑blind, placebo‑controlled study, healthy adults (20–59 y) consumed either 1.5 L/d of HW (n = 20) or plain water (PW, n = 18) for 4 weeks.

has the following conclusion:

“In conclusion, this work presents, to our knowledge, the rst double-blind placebo-controlled comprehensive study investigating the eects of H2-water in healthy adults. 1.5 L of H2-water intake for 4weeks reduced cell death and inammatory responses by modulating transcriptional networks of TLR-NFκB signaling. In addition, it may promote biological antioxidant capacity for adults > 30 yrs more than younger individuals.”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343135014_Hydrogen-rich_water_reduces_inflammatory_responses_and_prevents_apoptosis_of_peripheral_blood_cells_in_healthy_adults_a_randomized_double-blind_controlled_trial

1 Like

Thank you. Right now I will be starting with the drinking water method.

Do you happen to know what the “stones and ceramics” in the water bottles in the Japanese study were used for?

“A plastic shelled product consisting of metallic magnesium (99.9 % pure) and natural stones in polypropylene containers combined with ceramics”

[Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on the quality of life of patients treated with radiotherapy for liver tumors | Medical Gas Research | Full Text]

I am not quite sure what the function of natural rocks and ceramics is, but I guess that they have to do with potential passivation of the magnesium surface, that is, chemical reaction could coat the surface of the magnesium rod with Mg(OH) and eventually stop the reaction, the composition of natural rocks( maybe have acid salts as bicarbonate) could favor an equilibrium at an acid PH and ceramics could generate mechanical wear of inert films on magnesium.

Well, of course at 81, this is my philosophy:

Dylan Thomas
“Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

3 Likes

There is a ceramic stick from Japan at Amazon.

The Customer questions & answers section has this entry:

All the instructions included with this product are written in japanese. tried contacting company 2x. how can i get instructions in english?

Answer:Try reading the reviews–I already addressed this.

The directions were completely in Japanese, and were absolutely no use to me. I contacted the seller, who helpfully provided me with the following information (my commentary appears in square brackets):
Since we don’t have the instructions in English we will send you the one we translated.

To make:

1. Put 0.5-2 litter sic of water into a clean pet-bottle. PET plastic bottle?
  2. Wash your hand, and wash the stick with running water. Do not use a dish soap to wash the stick.
  3. Insert the stick into the pet-bottle and close the cap. Wait for at least 2 hours to enjoy.
    To clean: (If the stick was used to make for 2 little liters? every day for a month, it should be cleaned 1-2 times a month; it can be used for up to 6 months with proper cleaning.)
  4. Make a vinegar water (Dilute the vinegar with five times the water) and put the stick there. Do not use a container which is made out of glass and do not cover the container either. I see absolutely no reason that a glassware container can’t be used to clean the stick, since it will be open to the air and no pressure will build up. Making hydrogen water in a glass bottle is an entirely different matter–I had one explode on me, so I switched to stainless steel.
  5. Take the stick out after 30-40 minutes. Do not leave the stick in the vinegar water more than 1 hour.
  6. Wash it well with running water.

By Ted Ichino on November 3, 2016

4 Likes