Hydrogen Gas as an Aging Therapeutic?

When I put the magnesium bar in the cup, some bubbles form, but not much. Am I missing something?

Some of the hydrogen is re-absorbed by the water. I have a hydrogen measuring meter arriving tomorrow. I will use this to test the hydrogen content of the water after 24 hrs and 48 hrs.
In any case, the magnesium rod method was used in the previously referenced Japanese study. I will post the results when I have them.
Note: You have to seal the containers so that the hydrogen does not dissipate.

1 Like

I purchased one from:

The small, portable one.

1 Like

The machine I bought comes with extras such as a “stone” for creating fine bubbles in water.
Also, the nasal tubes through which one inhales the gas have 2 in-line flame-suppressors just in case some spark causes ignition.
As the hydrogen is mixed with air when you inhale, it should be under the 4% level in your lungs. Hydrogen is explosive between 4% and 75% (from memory).
But, just to be safe, don’t stroke the cat while you’re inhaling hydrogen LOL.

1 Like

Reposting from above. One must use a sealed bottle. I use a recycled Snapple bottle. Will buy that meter desertshores mentioned.

To make:

1. Put 0.5-2 litter sic of water into a clean pet-bottle. PET plastic bottle?
  2. Wash your hand, and wash the stick with running water. Do not use a dish soap to wash the stick.
  3. Insert the stick into the pet-bottle and close the cap. Wait for at least 2 hours to enjoy.
    To clean: (If the stick was used to make for 2 little liters? every day for a month, it should be cleaned 1-2 times a month; it can be used for up to 6 months with proper cleaning.)
  4. Make a vinegar water (Dilute the vinegar with five times the water) and put the stick there. Do not use a container which is made out of glass and do not cover the container either. I see absolutely no reason that a glassware container can’t be used to clean the stick, since it will be open to the air and no pressure will build up. Making hydrogen water in a glass bottle is an entirely different matter–I had one explode on me, so I switched to stainless steel.
  5. Take the stick out after 30-40 minutes. Do not leave the stick in the vinegar water more than 1 hour.
  6. Wash it well with running water.

By Ted Ichino on November 3, 2016

3 Likes

Improvements in telomere length, DNA methylation, and chair stand performance.

3 Likes

Glad you found that. I was about to give up on the HRW because I felt no effects subjective or measurable. I am really glad that it increases the telomere length in old people. I have been using magnesium rods but I think I will just bite the bullet and buy a generator from Amazon.

Just did a quick search on Amazon and found none of the HRW generators generate anywhere near the concentration used in the study. The best I could find is a couple that generates: “Hydrogen Rich Water Bottle Generator Max Concentration Molecular Up to 5000PPB” (5PPM)
I guess I could drink a liter and a half of hydrogen-rich water daily but that would be a little inconvenient.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

There is a fairly low level of H2 saturation in water at 1 Atmosphere pressure. But more can be dissolved under pressure, which is likely how they achieved it in the study. (I haven’t read methodology yet.)
I bought a small portable H2 generator online from hydrogen4health.com
so I can take it with me if I travel.

Below is the clinical study. Summary says 15 ppm, but the study details say only 8 ppm, perhaps, because they dosed twice a day. They used tablets.

Amazon available generators priced at $199 to $250 produce from 4,000 to 5,000 ppb.

I have an earlier gen version of this:

US $117.74 69% Off | Max 6000 PPB The 7th Generation Updation Bluevida SPEandPEM High Hydrogen Water Generator Bottle With Inhalation Kit and Adapter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOfpMpW

Cheaper than Amazon, works like a charm.

Thanks for the info. I have tried to use magnesium rods as the Japanese “Effectiveness of Hydrogen Rich Water on Antioxidant Status of Subjects with Potential Metabolic Syndrome—An Open Label Pilot Study” did. I have tried various bottles and found that the stainless steel vacuum bottle worked best. I have a hydrogen meter that I bought from Amazon and either the meter is incorrect or I am doing something wrong. The highest level that I have been able to achieve is 1.3 PPM after 3 rods in a stainless steel thermos bottle after soaking for 24 hrs.

2 Likes

I’m very skeptical of any claims of hydrogen rich water having any health benefits, because the solubility of hydrogen in water is just very low and it doesn’t make much sense to me to think it can be increased much. Like for most gases, the solubility of hydrogen would depend mostly on the temperature and pressure which is not something that you will change by dissolving a pill in the water or using some device that is supposed to infuse it with hydrogen. Those of you that report on seeing bubbles in the water when dissolving some type of magnesium in the water should note that the bubble formation is a direct result of the gas not dissolving in the water.

4 Likes

I also am of the opinion it’s pretty sketchy, but the Japanese study using magnesium rods looked legit.

2 Likes

Worth a read if you’re interested in hydrogen water.

2 Likes

It may be time to revisit hydrogen water. Maybe the method I used to duplicate the Japanese trial needed to be better.

I stopped because I wasn’t feeling any subjective effects and wasn’t sure which blood markers would be affected.

If anyone has had a positive subjective or measurable effect from using hydrogen water please post your results.

2 Likes

desertshores

Purchase hydrogen gas or;

Make your own hydrogen gas and percolate the hydrogen gas through water(distilled water will absorb the largest amount) using a fine air stone/air diffuser.

FWIW

Idea

Homemade hydrogen generator and compressor unit

1 Like

This is my preferred option - but it gets pricey (about £33 for 60 tablets)

I bought a hydrogen gas generator a few years ago which cost quite a bit (about £2k), but I use it every day. The tablets are probably cheaper still, but probably produce less hydrogen.

3 Likes