How to Reverse Skin Aging

Kandice - you seem to be right, there are a number of devices like this that are new to the market… and the entire “light therapy” market seems to be exploding with products (red light therapy, etc.).

The NIRA skin product seems to list around $399

and here is another product in this category it seems:

Price seems to be $2700

3 Likes

Good results are being reported for stem cell therapies for skin and frailty:

Skin Trials:

3.2 SC preparations for facial skin aging and photoaging

Skin aging is due to natural causes, as well as extrinsic factors (especially Sun exposure: Photoaging) (Zhang and Duan, 2018; Wong and Chew, 2021). Several SC preparations are investigated for facial skin aging and photoaging (Table 2).

Long-term natural aging is a slow process of dermal atrophy due to elastin and elastic fiber degradation, lower collagen production and lower hydration levels, leading to loss of elasticity and wrinkles (Zhang and Duan, 2018; Wong and Chew, 2021). Clinical trials with MSCs preparations for facial skin aging are evaluating their efficacy in regenerating normal, youthful skin (facial rejuvenation) (Figure 2).

Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation facilitates skin aging (photoaging), characterized by the degradation of collagen and elastin, with deposition of collagen breakdown products and abnormal elastin fibers in the dermis (solar elastosis) (Huang and Chien, 2020). Clinical trials with MSCs preparations are evaluating their efficacy in restoring a normal skin.

3.2.1 Stromal vascular fraction (SVF) for facial skin aging

The “stromal vascular fraction” (SVF) is a preparation of autologous hAD-MSCs obtained by liposuction, followed by collagenase digestion, filtration, centrifugation and separation of the SVF (Coleman, 1994; Varghese and Mosahebi, 2017; Alexander, 2019; Khazaei et al., 2021; Surowiecka and Struzyna, 2022). The SVF represents about 10% of the adipose tissue volume, and is composed of hAD-MSCs, adipocyte progenitors, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, vascular smooth muscle cells, lymphocytes, and a variety of immune cells (T-cells and M2 macrophages). The efficacy and tolerability of SVF-enriched autologous fat grafting is currently being investigated in facial skin aging.

3.2.2.1 NCT02923219

NCT02923219 was an RCT comparing the efficacy of SVF-assisted autologous fat grafting (intervention) versus fat transfer alone (control) for facial volume restoration and improvement of skin quality (Table 2) (Yin et al., 2020). Fifty women (mean age: 35.4 years) participated in the study. At 6 months: 1) Whole face volumes (assessed by 3D scanner and Geomagic software) were significantly higher in the intervention group (77.6%) compared to the control group (56.2%, p < 0.001), 2) wrinkles and texture (assessed by VISIA detector) improved significantly more in the intervention group than in the control group, and 3) graft survival rate was significantly higher in the intervention group than in the control group.

3.2.2.2 NCT03928444

NCT03928444 is an RCT comparing intradermal autologous SVF injection on one side of the face versus saline injection on the other side (Table 2). Fifteen female participants with facial aging (35 years or older) are included in the study and will be followed for 6 months. The primary outcome is the degree of aesthetic improvement using the global aesthetic improvement GAIS 5-point scale (Savoia et al., 2014). The trial was completed, but the results were not posted to ClinicalTrials.gov.

3.2.2.3 RPCEC00000362

RPCEC00000362 is an RCT (single-blind) comparing the efficacy of SVF-enriched fat transfer versus conventional fat transfer (Table 2). Participants with facial aging (30–59 years of age) are included in the study and will be followed for 12 months. Outcomes include clinical evaluation and evolution of furrows and wrinkles. Trial completion date was expected for December 2022.

3.2.2.4 IRCT20141007019432N2

IRCT20141007019432N2 is a single-arm clinical trial, designed to investigate the efficacy of autologous SVF transplantation in reducing facial wrinkles (Table 2). Forty-six (46) participants with facial aging (35–65 years of age and with grade 2 to 4 wrinkle type) were included in the study and will be followed for 6 months. The primary outcome is biometric evaluation (with visioface and skin ultrasound) of the amount and extent of facial wrinkles. The trial completion date was not reported.

3.2.2 Soluble paracrine SC factors (secretome) for facial skin aging

3.2.2.1 NCT05508191

NCT05508191 is a single-blind RCT comparing two methods of AD-MSCs “secretome” administration for facial aging (fractional CO₂ laser treatment on one side of the face and microneedle treatment on the other half) (Table 2; Figure 1). The term “secretome” designates the soluble paracrine factors produced by SCs (Xia et al., 2019). Thirty female participants with facial aging (35–59 years) are included in the study and will be followed for 6 weeks. Primary outcomes are: 1) Skin aging changes evaluated by dermoscopy photoaging scale and by Janus-3Ⓡ skin analyzer, 2) skin capacitance evaluated by the CorneometerⓇ and 3) total water content in the stratum corneum of the skin. Primary completion date was expected for October 2022.

3.2.3 Facial photoaging

3.2.3.1 hBM-MSCs

NCT01771679 is a phase I/II safety trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a single intravenous injection of allogeneic (non-hematopoietic) hBM-MSCs for the treatment of facial photoaging in men and women 40–70 years of age (Table 2). Recruitment was suspended.

3.2.3.2 Exosomes

SCs secrete exosomes (40–120 nm extracellular vesicles), which contain cytokines, growth factors, messenger RNAs, and different non-coding RNAs, especially micro-RNAs (mi-RNAs) (Hamdan et al., 2021) (Figure 1).

3.2.3.2.1 ChiCTR2200061216. ChiCTR2200061216 investigates if hAD-MSC derived exosomes loaded with circcol elns (a circular RNA, circRNA) can promote collagen and elastin synthesis in skin samples from 6 to 10 photoaged patients (55–75 years). The study compares samples of facial skin tissue (part exposed to light), with skin tissue of the hip or upper arm (part protected from light) (Table 2). The study is open for recruitment. Completion is expected for December 2024.

3.3 Other SC therapies for aging

3.3.1 NT-020

NT-020 (NutraStem®) is a patented nutraceutical formulation containing green tea extract, blueberry extract, carnosine, and vitamin D3 (EurekAlert, 2008). In 2006, Bickford et al. (2006) reported that these agents (as well as catechin) synergistically stimulated the in vitro proliferation of human bone marrow and human CD34+ and CD133+ cells. CD34+ are often used clinically to quantify H-SC numbers in H-SC transplantation (Remberger et al., 2020). CD133 is a well-characterized biomarker of normal and cancer SCs (Barzegar Behrooz et al., 2019).

2 Likes

Came across this article recently. It appears that in mouse models, blood donation increases skin thickness, collagen synthesis, and reduces the number of senescent cells:

Blood donation improves skin aging through the reduction of iron deposits and the increase of TGF-β1 in elderly skin - ScienceDirect.

5 Likes

There have been a number of members who have touted the benefits of blood donantion (for longevity). Question: is there something about the donation process, or can you remove a proper amount of blood by alternate means — bloodletting at a Rennesaince faire, blood brothers pact, leeches, etc. — and still receive these benefits?

1 Like

One of the biggest reasons that I have heard for blood donation is that it helps you purge toxic ‘forever’ chemicals circulating in your blood. Of course you are just giving them to someone else though

I would think replacing your plasma would be more effective. However this is a fringe practice and it is hard to quantify any benefits. I’d stick with the ITP treatments as they have proven bang for the buck.

3 Likes

See discussion and research in this thread: Irina Conboy Plasmapheresis Webinar

2 Likes

Nice article on the use of topical rapamycin.

5 Likes

Anyone know what they used to deliver it deep in the skin, the main delivery chemical in the cream? Asking for a friend :grin:

This article summarizes the Drexel study posted elsewhere on the forum. The snippet below from the paper says the placebo was a DMSO cream, so I’m guessing DMSO was also used as a vehicle for the Rapa.

Participants enrolled in the study were provided with a container of rapamycin cream and a container of placebo (DMSO) in identical dispensers with labels for right or left hand and were instructed to apply the creams 0.5 cc (1 pump from the dispenser) to the dorsal side of each hand every 24 to 48 h in the evening before bed.

2 Likes

Transcutol is usually used. See this thread: Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

1 Like

The present study provides for the first time characterization of a 0.1% rapamycin cream formulation presenting good rapamycin solubilisation. The first step of the formulation is solubilisation of rapamycin in Transcutol1, and the second step is the incorporation of the mixture in an oil-in-water cream.

3 Likes

I understand the debate on DMSO and Transcutol with respect to being better absorbed into the blood stream with DMSO, but doesn’t it seem like they used DMSO in the Drexel study? Would they really have used Transcutol in the rapamycin formulation, and DMSO for the placebo?

From Materials and Methods section, the only place they mention DMSO

Participants enrolled in the study were provided with a container of rapamycin cream and a container of placebo (DMSO)

From the caption of Figure 1.

Topical rapamycin treatment reduces expression of the senescence regulator p16INK4A. Human skin was treated with a formulation of 10 μM rapamycin or an identical formulation containing a vehicle control for 6–8 months; 0.5 cc of formulation was applied daily.

They may have used DMSO in both the control and the cream, but there are some issues with DMSO, read this post: Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation - #320 by RapAdmin

It seems like transcutol is more often used in commercial derm formulations.

Note that the rapamycin is at least partial dissolved in a variety of oils. Mixing Transcutol, rapamycin and any of the oils will result in less rapamcyin penetrating the skin. Just say’n.
This might be acceptable to some people but we really don’t know how much the oils mixed with Transcutol affect the ability of the mixture to penetrate the dermal layers.

I am having very good results from taking rapamycin and using the mixture of Transcutol, rapamycin and water as a spray mist. I believe this allows for the Trancutol to carry rapamycin deeper into the skin.

The result of using this mixture on my head and hands has dramatically reduced appearances of actinic keratoses and a reduction of age spots on my hands. The reduction of age spots is one of the only “age reversal” properties of rapamycin that I have experienced as opposed to merely delaying aging.

I have recently added metformin to the mixture but haven’t seen any differences yet. I might have to increase the amount of metformin in the mixture.

8 Likes

Does anyone know where Ultrahilo can be purchased?

Just search on google shopping (or click on this link):

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APwXEdf0lSaxPtjxiA0zfx954Uws2vqpUw:1683910066932&q=Ultrahilo&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj32_3qnfD-AhUbADQIHaOrBBIQ0pQJegQIChAB&biw=1440&bih=764&dpr=2

1 Like

I bought it at cosmokorea.com. Delivery was very fast - 3-4 days only ($47 by FedEx). The price was $90 after 10% discount. The payment method was through WISE (bank transfer) with a small additional fee. It took couple hours to set up an account with WISE and get verified. After that finalizing purchase was fast.

3 Likes

Thank you @LaraPo, have you used it yet and if so do you like it?

Didn’t use it yet, but plan on using it soon. Will report after that. Unfortunately, cosmokorea doesn’t provide any recommendations on the best method to use (or at least I cannot find anything besides 1 video on YouTube).

@LaraPo I’ve found a few things I’ll share. :slight_smile:

1 Like