How Old are David Sinclair and Others, Biologically? My Study

This is not an inaccuracy of the application. It is simply its technical limitations and we, if we want to get the most out of it, need to understand these constraints and operate within them.

The link from the first post has been updated: https://mikesbalance.com/examining-personalities-with-age-detecting-software/

3 Likes

Still trying to get closer to my real age (69) with age.toolpie :sweat_smile:

This is the original photo:

6 Likes

Wow. Whatever you are doing, it is working.

1 Like

Thank you Alex! I love this app and it loves me back :grinning:

1 Like

You have my #1 vote for hotties of RapamycinNews if we ever do a calendar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice to become a hotty at almost 70 :joy::joy::joy: It’s better late than never.

5 Likes

Outstanding result! But to be precise, you’d better shoot just your face with the app.

This is what I usually do - shoot just the face after I apply a treatment to check if there’s a change in “before” and “ after”. I also found out that the app always evaluates my left side of the face10 years younger than the whole face. Isn’t it strange?

Be careful with these Apps folks. Here’s an article saying that taking the Novos FaceAge test led her to heavy drinking! (jk)

https://www.businessinsider.com/im-36-ai-test-novos-said-face-age-is-39-2023-5

3 Likes

I believe that! I can be addictive. :joy::joy::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

I also liked the update on Mike’s Balance that said if you badger ChatGPT like a harpy, it will lead to a better result (don’t try this with women).
One way you could get early ChatGPT to go off the rails and start hallucinating was to tell it it was wrong and call it an idiot (don’t try that with women either) and next thing you know it would start sounding like Scarlett Johansson and telling you to leave your wife.

One of the obvious things that I had overlooked is that chronological age is really a terrible measure of your health or how long you are going to live. I used to be impressed by all the new BioAge tests that said things like “Because humans age at different rates, a person’s physical appearance may yield insights into their biological age and physiological health more reliably than their chronological age.” from here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10516042/
Or this - “When they followed up with these people in 2017, the scientists found that their 2010 iAge turned out to be a more accurate predictor of their health than their chronological age.” from here:
https://bigthink.com/health/iage-stanford/
But finally I had to slap my forehead and say “Duh?”, almost anything is a better predictor of your health than your chronological age. (even arm wrestling) Can you imagine going in for your annual physical and the doctor saying “How old are you (and maybe, give me a selfie)…OK, we’re done.” Chronological age is a terribly inaccurate measure of your overall health or how long you are going to live.
Edit - Between say 30 and 80, I think chronological age is becoming less relevant - except as a bragging point “My biological age is 10 years younger than my real age!”. Healthwise, what does it really mean to be 50 years old (chronologically)? Not much. The Levine blood test at least matters - I think I’ll have a birthday party every time my Levine Phenotypic Age changes by a year.

1 Like

Here is an article that points out a bias for the importance of chronological age even in epigenetic clocks. Just as chronological age shows obvious differences between youth and elderly, that’s also where the clocks are the most accurate.
" A search for true accuracy

The first experiment was a straightforward evaluation of clock accuracy. While there were strong correlations at the 18-30 age range, which the authors ascribe to immune system maturity, and at the 80-100 age range at which most people rapidly deteriorate, the accuracy of methylation-based clocks is considerably reduced at other age ranges. The authors note that this is likely due to non-linear aging effects, with healthy plateaus and periods of sharp decline due to the disrepair of multiple tissues."
In middle age things aren’t so obvious and the focus should shift to overall health and the efficient functioning of your biological systems. Here things are more erratic and less predictable.
"Chronology or biology?

In the Conboys’ view, such clocks are predicting chronology more than biology. To illustrate their point, they created a methylation clock based on the US population over time: a proxy for pure chronology. A similar clock also used 149 cytosines to accurately predict chronological age."
“The researchers found this to be more of a problem with the elastic net than the raw array data. Using a Uniform Manifold Approximation and Projection method, they found that they could accurately use the full array of measured cytosines to differentiate healthy people and sick people, while a clock based on the elastic net does not. This, the researchers contend, is due to the elastic net disregarding health and biological factors in favor of the chronological result it was told to create.”
Ultimately the goal should be to ignore your chronological age, especially until you’re 80, and focus on the critical biological systems - cardiovascular, glucose control, epigenetic alterations/gene expression, mitochondrial dysfunction, immune system/chronic inflammation, microbiome health/dysbiosis, cellular senescence, stem cell exhaustion (the Hallmarks of Aging). How well the epigenetic clocks directly correlate to these, I think is still unclear.
https://www.lifespan.io/news/creating-a-noise-clock-to-measure-biological-age/

2 Likes

@LaraPo A woman of your age having done CR, I would have been concerned about osteoporosis. So, I am very curious how you were able to avoid it, or if you supplement. Is that a Power Plate you have there? Do you feel it has been therapeutic?

I don’t do CR with the purpose to eat less calories. I just don’t eat much naturally or by habit. I’m not even sure that it’s a CR. Also, most of my foods are veggies, raw or cooked, and they don’t have many calories. I’m not a big person, only 5’3”, 110 lb, so I need much less food to support my body than, let’s say, a friend of mine who’s 5’10”, and weighs 170 lb. For my size, I eat enough high quality foods. I don’t have osteoporoses yet, but was diagnosed with the very beginning stage of osteopenia on my left hip. I understand that it may progress and to slow the process down I do resistant training, walk and jog daily. The vibration platform that I have been using for 25 years at least also helps. I use it daily, in the morning before breakfast for 10 minutes. It has 10 intensity settings. Helps with balance and lymph circulation too. I don’t supplement for bone density specifically, but take many different supplements daily.

2 Likes

Seems like your naturally doing all the right things. Good to know you have gotten an early notice about the potential for it via a bone density scan, I suppose.