Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

Curious for those who have noticed the higher BP, do you have a sense for how long was the duration of the effect?

1 Like

FYI - while my B/P was upā€¦ I didnā€™t really feel any different. Was surprised by the increased numbers. Figured it was a blip. Was up highest for a few days after dosing rapamycin.

Why I wanted to get continuous wrist B/P monitorā€¦ to see how high and when it was spiking.

1 Like

That seems to be the pattern that is emerging for me too. My blood pressure has been a bit all over the place before starting rapamycin a few weeks ago. This is possibly linked to my recent bout of Horners Syndrome. However, what I am seeing now is a raised bp of 160 over 93 for 48-72hrs after dosing then it comes back down to 130 over 83. Not sure if this is anything to be concerned about but will keep my bp log going.

3 Likes

Just as a side noteā€¦ Iā€™ve been taking rapamycin for over three years now, but have been off for the past 4 months due to participation in a plasmapheresis clinical trial. As part of that trial they would test my blood pressure on each visit and typically my blood pressure is about 116/68 or so.

I have not been testing regularly when taking rapamycin, but will do so when I restart. Whatever the case (in terms of if rapamycin increases blood pressure) it definitely isnā€™t anything permanentā€¦

6 Likes

as a follow up to my original post, I was prescribed lisinopril by my pcp and he is still tweaking the dose to get my BP back down. I have no way of knowing if the high BP was actually caused mostly by rapa or if I had existing unknown high bp and rapa maybe additionally pushed it up to a level where I could feel it and notice something was wrong. Iā€™m going to take this opportunity to take a long rapa break and perhaps in a few months once my bp is settled in a nice low and controlled level, Iā€™ll consider dipping my toes in again and monitoring the before and after effects.

5 Likes

Boy am I glad I found this thread! I was on 6 mg a week for over two years with no ā€œputting things togetherā€ moments until I tried some grapefruit then got major edema and probably higher BP tho was not checking often. As a precaution I went off it for 3 months and just recently tried a single dose again and BP shot up. Pretty conclusive as far as I am concerned and Iā€™m disappointed but am definitely off it. That three months off, did lower BP some but this week after a single dose itā€™s remaining too high so for me, anyway, the effect seems to last beyond trough.

4 Likes

my blood pressure seems to have dropped while on rapamycin. Not saying rapamycin made it drop as I have made life style changes eg better diet, exercise, lower sodium etc. however it def hasnt increased on rapamycin either having said that.

my blood pressure sits around 106/72.

5 Likes

If anything I have seen a slight rise on the dosing day, but really just few points. It is really non significant rise, but there is a pattern. My blood pressure rarely goes above 120/85, highest measurement in last two months was 121/87, average sits at 115/75. Slightly higher in the morning, lower in the evening, but on rapamycin dosing day evening BP stays ā€œelevatedā€.

4 Likes

I find my energy state drives my heart rate and blood pressure. Not surprising really. So if i have mk7 my hr will be up a bit and bp as well. Ethanol is really interesting as it initially drops hr and bp, but then i think in the acetate stage hr and bp are both up. Other matabolites also affect this.

1 Like

I hope weā€™ll get to the bottom of why this happens to some people but the majority are totally fine. I am trying to wait until I have a few months of controlled BP on the books before I try again, very slowly and monitoring along the way.

I will note that I didnā€™t feel anything wrong when I was doing very low doses 1-4mg (though BP rarely feels like anything, it was headaches and pressure that made me check in the first place). It wasnā€™t until I jumped up to 6mg that I could tell something wasnā€™t agreeing with me.

2 Likes

Something else that occurs to me is that I supplement a number of AMPK activators which are also upstream (or is it downstream) inhibitors of MTorC1. No idea how big that effect is, but might play into BP. Lot to figure when weā€™re pushing the envelope.

2 Likes

Adding acarbose with rapa made my loodpreassure lower then pre rapa, maybe the blunting of glucose spike but i think its the chort chain fatty acid increase that helps the BP

4 Likes

I just started my Rapa journey, but I noticed a blood pressure spike this week after dosing 2mg. No GFJ or anything like that, just 2mg on an empty stomach. Got totally wired that day, and have been very energetic since, I also drink coffee but Iā€™m thinking that combination might be too much.

2 days after dosing, I felt ā€˜offā€™ in a bad way, and measured my blood pressure. Systolic was 135 which is much higher than my usual 112. I was going to up the dosage this week but I think Iā€™ll keep it at 2mg and monitor my BP all week to see what happens.

It could be completely unrelated to the rapa so Iā€™ll try again and try to get some more meaningful data.

3 Likes

A little update. Have been off rapamycin since February, and since then, Iā€™ve been taking Losartan/HCTZ for the BP (which was around 150-160/80-90) and rosuvastatin (for the LDL which was 156)

Well, numbers are now great! My blood pressure is 110/70 and my LDL is 67. Iā€™m going to let it ride here for a little while longer, then gradually restart on rapamycin slowly and monitoring the numbers.

8 Likes

Just had my yearly physical (first one after about 7 months of using rapa at about 6mg/week). Blood pressure was up 130/80 versus previous 122/79. LDL was up to 3.01 mmol/L vs previous 2.52 mmol/L (and I was already on statins). Dr asked if I had any ā€œlifestyle changesā€ which I havenā€™t. He doubled my statin dose. Reconsidering my use of rapa at this point.

2 Likes

FWIW. Iā€™ve seen my blood pressure drop from 118-120/78-80 to 110-115/70-75 in the few weeks since working on my nitric oxide via dietary intake of nitrates and improving my oral microbiome. I have a BP cuff at home.

4 Likes

Thanks, Appreciate the tip!

1 Like

Is that going to bring down your LDL enough? Marginal benefit from increasing statin dose, even doubling it.

1 Like

How do you do it? Just arugula and celery? And no mouthwash and organic toothpaste you mentioned in another post the other day?
Do you supplement also any of the nitrate/vitamin C lozenges?
Do you think it is the chewing that is necessary or could one just drink a green celery juice in the morning?

1 Like

Beets, or the powder that they sell? Do you use the strips you can spit on to see your nitrate level?

1 Like