Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

Borscht will also work! Or a cold appetizer with beets (beets, prunes, garlic, walnuts, evoo, lemon, salt).

@scta123 the key is using test strips to be 100% certain your protocol is working. I use celery and nitrate supplements (Berkley Life). I would guess that chopping or mashing vegetables would cause some change due to enzymes in the vegetables that would then interact with the nitrate unless eaten immediately after chopping.

Also, oral hygiene can play a big role as it is the oral bacteria that converts the nitrate to nitrite which is then swallowed (some nitrite is converted to NO in stomach and some is absorbed for processing via NOS …eNOS in endothelium.). The test strips will tell you if you need to change anything. If so, try “friendly “ toothpaste etc.

Good luck. It’s a journey.

1 Like

@Bicep Yes, I use test strips and the nitrate capsules from Berkley Life. The nitrate capsules have multiple ingredients and a dose that is supposed to be sufficient for a day but I find I have to eat celery at dinner and nitrate capsules at breakfast to keep my nitrites at a strong level.

Guess we’ll see. I was pretty responsive the first time I went on them. My Dr called me the “poster boy” for statins :slight_smile:

FYI. The Berkley Life website only allows orders via their distributors. They gave me a link and discount code that I put in the podcast show notes. I have seen the test strips on Amazon so that is an option.

Strangest thing happened. I went to the doctor and sat down for my blood pressure test - 116/78. Not bad. But I had just hurried over so the nurse said to wait a bit and do it again as the brisk walking may have made the BP number higher. So I took a break and rested and tried again - 141/77. I’m going to guess their machine is broken? Or is that kind of variance normal?

2 Likes

Quite normal. The right way of measuring blood pressure would be something like sit down for few minutes, take a measurement, sit, take another measurement few minutes later and the third and average of all three measurements is what is considered a good measurement. But who has time to do it?

If you get any reading (average of three measurements) in the elevated BP region, you might want to get a 24h measuring device from your doctor to evaluate it further.
I was obsessing about my BP and ASCVD a while ago and got this tested, really annoying to have the device for 24h on you but now I can say that my BP is normal. There was a good trade off.

4 Likes

It’s normal. I also have it and the variation can be quite big. It takes me sometime 3 times to measure my BP. Also sitting BP and standing could be quite different too. My standing BP is usually 20 points less than a sitting one. I rely on the standing number because most of the day I stand. I rarely sit.

1 Like

I measure my BP once a day right after I wake up. No change since starting rapa. I’m unclear why you’d want one of those watches that tells you your BP throughout the day and night. What action have you taken as a result of knowing how your BP fluctuates over the course of the day and night?

1 Like

I am not persuaded that any of the watches that claim to report BP report anything close to BP as yet.

3 Likes

have you checked Aktiia | Your Home Blood Pressure Monitoring Solution?

1 Like

I have noticed a trend where my BP drops by up to 10 points the morning after my rapa dose (114/75 —> 105/70). I also have improved my NO and upped my potassium in the meantime

1 Like

Some reviews of the Aktiia blood pressure wrist monitor

AIUI it’s best frequency of measurement is 1 per hour. Good for background measurement but not for watching changes over minutes

It supposedly measures continuously, up to 1000 daily measurements.

Perhaps i will try one and report back.

I have ordered one.

I last took Rapamycin on Saturday (30th Sept) 6mg without boosters or reducers. I had a drinking day on Sunday which takes down the blood pressure, but otherwise my systolic bp has been unusually high. I pointed the finger initially at some ATP boosting on monday, but looking back Saturday did have some high BP. (eg 144/81 hr 52).

Given the time since saturday I am at probably about 30%ish of the original serum level. Things have settled down and I am just now 123/81-75 which is within the acceptable range. I have just done some resistance training, some PEMF and a bit of RIR. The exercise will push up my heart rate. I have no idea what PEMF or RIR do.

2 Likes

Do report back, I was really about to buy it some months ago but later got this 24h measurement device from my doctor which did not detect any abnormalities in BP so I said maybe I can hold my purchase… but is still in the back of my mind and on the list of devices I wanna try. But I am a junkie and I wanna have all devices :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am sympathetic to your perspective. I would like, for instance, to know the effect of RIR or PEMF on Blood Pressure if any in the short term.

It is useful to have objective tests covering a wide range of biomarkers.

Because of my weekly blood tests I know of the limitations of those tests. However, I do pick up quite a bit of useful information and my key objective is to make sure I am aware of any harm that I am doing as a result of the wide range of interventions I use.

4 Likes

I put it on yesterday. The battery seems to charge reasonably quickly. The cuff Bp came up reasonably close to the Omron value. (either could be out by a bit and they did not measure completely simultaneously).

It remains to be seen as to how accurate it is.

I do think, however, that my BP might be going up with Rapamycin. Because my current eating/drinking schedule involves less alcohol than normal (only one drinking day each week) my blood pressure is I think a bit higher on average and has not adjusted down to the sobriety yet. However, there was a clear pattern from last Saturday to now where the BP has come down.

It may be that if Rapamycin puts up average glucose that this causes a higher heart rate (slightly) and as a consequence a higher blood pressure.

It may be that people should look at night time sleeping heart rates after taking rapamycin to see if those vary with the reducing serum level.

2 Likes

Sleeping HR is impacted by many things. For me, exercise and food intake make a huge difference that would swamp any rapa effect.