Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

On the E500, you adjust/calibrate the units{the E500] software numbers to your BP monitor in the personal section of the application software, H Band.

In my view it is more than adequate for my requirement.

1 Like

If anyone simply looks up the manufacturer-provided “evidence” to support their “clinically validated accuracy” claim and actually read

If you read closely, the individual difference can be 20 mmHg up or down. One can still get into the accuracy issues at around >10 mmHg compared to a medical office standard. You can certainly calibrate, but it’s still not good enough. I suppose if you want to spend $500 anyways on something most people would not wear all the time due to bulkiness with pretty misleading marketing tactics (not the worst), then knock yourself out.

The whole idea of these loose “validation” criteria for consumer BP monitors (usually $70 if you want “smart” and “validated” ones that are easy to use and adjustable cuffs - so $500 seems incredibly cost inefficient unless there is literally some physical impairment) is to check for “white-coat hypertension”, “masked hypertension”, “resistant hypertension” and “morning hypertension” - not designed for “biohackers” to measure their vitals accurately enough for even “good enough” BP measurements - if that’s what you’re looking for - you probably should reconsider because the current accuracy is far from even “good enough” metrics.

Keep in mind, even the study itself is sponsored and the authors are working at the company, so limitations abound (ie imperfect use could add a lot of error - possibly even more than cuffs) - and replication is needed for what they presented - which is far more lackluster than touted on the website. The device is “FDA-cleared”, but beware some sources will erroneously claim it is “FDA approved” - when it’s far from it. Many people get tricked by these articles selling affiliate links to the layman with hard misinformation.

A lot of device manufacturers know consumers don’t know what “FDA cleared” really means and as long as they don’t directly use false marketing and keep to as misleading as legally possible to get away with - they continue to prey on consumer ignorance they will make tons of sales to those who are not fully informed. The fact of the matter is the “FDA cleared” has no bearing on validating the accuracy of these devices.

There is plenty of supplement marketing that is similar in nature - the smallest sponsored poorly designed study possible to cut costs and then make “clinically tested/validated” claims that often turn out to be not replicable if they even sponsor a study at all.

4 Likes

It seems like alcohol is generally speaking more likely to lower BP than raise it.

I have my own figures to confirm that. My hr tends to go up but bp down tonight i have not drunk any alcohol tonight and have just measured bp hr at bp 128/79 hr 48. I think actually my bp is slightly higher tonight than it would have been had i not drunk alcohol on the prior two nights.

1 Like

Two days ago, I freaked myself out after using a reputable wrist blood pressure device which showed 195/60 and 180/70. Fortunately, I asked a nurse to check, and it was 135/50. I am very wary of these now.
I am also a tall and large person, so it’s hard to imagine that wrist monitors can be standardized between different-sized people.

7 Likes

No I track mine regularly with Beurer BM67.

2 Likes

FWIW…

2 Likes

There is a super interesting device that is available only outside the US at the moment:

It’s an optical blood pressure sensor that has been clinically validated. The trick it it needs to be calibrated once a month with a conventional device but otherwise it can just collect info.

2 Likes

This looks like one of the many that are for sale on aliexpress.

Review link below, most cost less than $50.00. Same sensors different app software.

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/high+blood+pressure+monitor+watch.html?osf=direct&spm=a2g0n.productlist.header.0

1 Like

Putting aside the important issue of accuracy as I see it bp needs to be considered in a number of ways

a) The average arterial pressure which AIUI is 1/3 up from the diastolic (lower figure) affects organ health throughout the body.
b) The difference between systolic and diastolic which indicates a mixture of the quantity of blood pumped each time (which links to venous pressure to some extent) and the flexibility of the arterial systems (one of those things we want to maintain).

It would be nice to find a relatively easy way of isolating out the two components of b).

1 Like

Your are aware the E 500 is adjustable to calibrate in 1 mmHg increments.

With that if you want “accuracy” calibrate {the E500] to a mercury* sphygmomanometer, the “gold standard” for blood pressure readings.

*Mercury sphygmomanometer have been banned for sale in the EU since 2009

If interested review the following;

Blood Pressure and Mercury Sphygmomanometers.

1 Like

It does not really matter how much you adjust a figure that does not vary with reality.

1 Like

Related:

1 Like

I’ve been on 4mg Sirolimus weekly for three months now and have noted an increase in cholesterol and blood pressure. I tested week prior to starting rapa and TC was 190 (typically runs 177-190). Now it’s 240. I monitor BP regularly and it runs a high of 112/70. Now, it hit 133/85. I’m fit/healthy otherwise. No meds. I will likely have to discontinue. I’m feeling “off”, not my usual self, which is something atypical for me also.

3 Likes

What heart rate? This looks like a stroke volume increase.

1 Like

Are you seeing the higher blood pressure at a specific point in the rapamycin use cycle? I.e. is it higher on the day of dosing, and lower on the last day prior to the next dose?

1 Like

FWIW

Review the following

Factors influencing home blood pressure monitor ownership in a large clinical trial

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41371-021-00511-w

About at the midpoint. I’ll monitor it at the beginning and end of the cycle going forward and report back.

2 Likes

Today after taking sirolimus 5 mg with EVO and pomelo
my systolic BP went up to 160 and stayed high for 24 hours. Will be watching after future doses.

2 Likes

Exactly, on higher doses 36 - 38ng/mL my blood pressure systolic was in the 154 and 156 range.

Been in the lower 130’ s at the 12 ng/mL dose.

1 Like