Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

related, from @ConquerAging

4 Likes

It is only announced on UK site. EU sites donā€™t offer the new version yet.

I really appreciate the waterproof change and making it smaller and easier to charge. I will probably gift my current one to my mother in law and get a new one. I wish they would redesign the bracelet to be easier to put on/off/adjust. I have another remark, my wrist size really fluctuates in winter I noticed and for some days I donā€™t get any usable readings for hours since it is too loose.

1 Like

Ah yes - I see that now re the other countries. Iā€™d assumed they were included in the launch since they are selectable when ordering the revised model. However, their links go to the original model.

You may be interested in this new ring with bp monitoring included - launched early in 2024 - although itā€™s already been held up a couple of times. The founders are based in the same town in CH coincidentally!

Velia ring

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iris-smart-ring/iris-smart-ring-elevate-style-embrace-self-awareness/posts/3987399

1 Like

It seems that the only way we in North America can get the new version of the Aktiia is using a reshipper. Iā€™ve never used these before - does anyone have any experience with a UK-based reshipper? It seems this is an entirely new industry that has popped up to address this needā€¦

I see these when I search:

Think @AnUser did it for his blood pressure armband?

This one is FDA approved in the US and may be more accurate (while a bit clunkier).

Does anyone have any experience with it?

1 Like

I have used forward2me previously to ship from UK to EU.
Search on reddit for post forwarding services and look on trustpilot. Post fowarding services is something people use.

1 Like

Ah yes, trust pilot. Thanks!

1 Like

The longer a personā€™s blood pressure levels remain under control, the lower their risk may be for dementia, new research shows.

The findings add to evidence suggesting that good heart and brain health is best achieved by keeping systolic blood pressure (the upper number) consistently under control, compared to having levels that vary, even if the average falls within the target range.

The work will be presented Saturday at the American Heart Associationā€™s Scientific Sessions conference being held in Chicago and virtually. The findings are considered preliminary until full results are published in a peer-reviewed journal.

2 Likes

Only way for BP to not rise with age is a very low sodium diet, probaby <=500 mg a day. Very significant if true. Low apoB gets rid of heart disease. Low sodium get rids of high BP. Whatā€™s next? I will have to see what governments are saying is important to reduce cancer next.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t looked into this that much yet. Can you point to a good source on that point?

1 Like

Even if you reship the cuff, the app youā€™ll need to read it does not appear to be available in US app stores. Someone please correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

Not excellent BP: elevated. Normal BP <120 mmHg systolic.

1 Like

Good point. Itā€™s been a while since I have done it, but you should be able to have someone download the app in Europe, send it too you, and then ā€œside loadā€ it onto your android phone.

I donā€™t think you can do this in apple phones.

There is a podcast at the end of my sodium thread, he points to the Yanomamo not having an increase in bp.

Aktiia says the following "The Aktiia mobile application is available through the Apple Store and Google Play, registered in a European country. "

It might be possible to change the region:

I donā€™t know if it is, if you need a european credit card. You should make sure you can install the app first and get to the point of registering the cuff, before ordering.

1 Like

125/80 is my BP nowadays. I do get some outlier readings at 110, 120, 132 or even 145, but after retesting in about 15 minutes, it always goes back to 125/80. I use the hospital or pharmacy BP machines to test.

A home BP device is about GBP 25.

1 Like

Ahā€¦ its not that hard to do (at least on Android);

https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/change-google-play-country/

A little more difficult on Apple:

2 Likes

Cuff size dramatically alters bp readings. ā€œIndividuals with a wide range of arm circumferences were tested in a randomized, crossover design to compare blood pressure readings using too-small, too-large, or appropriately sized blood pressure cuffs. The authors found that for individuals with smaller arm circumferences, using a too-large (ā€œregularā€) cuff consistently underestimated systolic blood pressure (-3.6 mmHg), while for individuals with larger arm circumferences, using a too-small ā€œregularā€ cuff consistently overestimated systolic blood pressure (+4.8 mmHg for ā€œlargeā€ arms and +19.5 mmHg for ā€œextra largeā€ arms). These results provide further motivation for learning to measure blood pressure at home to ensure more accurate measurements than are likely to be obtained with the one-size-fits-all approach employed in many doctorsā€™ offices.ā€ Attias, Dec 2023

2 Likes