Has anyone gotten a cystatin C blood test for renal function? It's one of the top predictors of chronological age

Creatinine is subject to increasing through metabolism. So be careful about delays between giving a blood sample and the test being done.

1 Like

The article this is taken from is here:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203769

The ENC model suggests that a one standard deviation increase (i) in age (8.1 years) increases mortality hazard by 84% [95% CI: 80% - 88%], (ii) in cystatin C (0.14mg/L) by 31% [29% - 33%], when adjusted for sex and all selected biomarkers (Supplementary Table 4). Our result mirrors the finding of a meta-analysis by Luo et al. (24), which identified a 32% [12% - 55%] increase in all-cause mortality hazard with a one standard deviation increase in cystatin C, based on 39,000 participants across nine different studies. The addition of cystatin C to the Comprehensive Metabolic Panel and the Employer/Cardiac Panel confirmed the incremental predictive uplifts in models where this biomarker is present, increasing the C-index by 0.015 and 0.005 for each of the Panels respectively (Fig 2, panels 3 vs 4 and 9 vs 10). Red blood cell (erythrocyte) distribution width appears to have the strongest effect size after cystatin C, with a standard deviation increase implying a 17% [15% – 19%] increase in mortality hazard.

Due to the documented positive relationship between serum cystatin C and creatinine (25, 26), as well as the positive correlation (r = 0.51) identified in our descriptive analysis (Supplementary Figure 1), we investigated how the effect sizes of these two biomarkers were altered with the removal of the other. When creatinine was removed, the standardised effect size for cystatin C was still the largest of all blood biomarkers. The hazard ratio decreased to a 22% [20% – 24%] increase in mortality hazard for one standard deviation increase in cystatin C level. Conversely, when cystatin C was removed, the effect size for creatinine was still negative but was no longer statistically significant, with a one standard deviation increase implying a 1% [-1% to 3%] reduction in mortality hazard.

1 Like
1 Like

I finally decided to get it. the blood draw fee is just $9

Also, does canagliflozin decrease it more than rapamycin?

==
it’s a huge part of https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhl/article/PIIS2666-7568(23)00189-7/fulltext

===

===

we uniquely focused on why a certain prediction was made by developing novel AI principles, and techniques (e.g., SHAP) to improve the interpretability of ML models, applicable to a broad spectrum of problems beyond biomedicine.

Modern complex, black-box ML models such as deep neural networks have become standard tools for biomedical research. Their opaque nature and consequent lack of interpretability have been a bottleneck impeding the widespread adoption of AI in biomedicine and beyond. These models do not answer the key questions, such as molecular basis for complex phenotypes, design strategies for therapeutics, or the reasoning process of clinical decisions. This challenge gave rise to explainable AI (XAI), a.k.a., interpretable ML.

AIMS lab’s research focuses on a broad spectrum of problems, advancing: (A) AI/ML - developing XAI principles and techniques

2 Likes

Impact of hydration on creatinine clearance:

The 1.25 and 1.23 values are when I made an effort to drink water beforehand. The others, no such effort. All tests taken while fasting. Seems that, for best results, one should make an effort to be hydrated before testing, even if fasting.

1 Like

Both creatinine and cystatin c are going to vary on factors other than GFR

Which other factors???

Creatinine: hydration , muscle mass, exercise, delay on test
Cystatin c will vary on hydration i dont know of other factors but there are likely to be some.

I just received my first shipment of rapamycin and acarbose from India. I have a recent (3 months ago) standard blood panel. I’m about to do another before I start Rapa. Here’s my list of add-on bloodtests.

HbA1c
ApoB
ApoA1
25 Hydroxy Vit D
Cystatin C
Homcystein
IGF-1
Homa-IR
Testosterone - Total & Free
Lp(a) - one time
Zinc
DHT

I just sent in my OmegaQuant test…waiting for results. I’m also about to do a DEXA scan and a Vo2 max before starting Rapa. I do home monitor blood pressure and heart rate, (resting, max and HRV) and have been recording my sleep scores. Anything else?
I would add SHBG but it doesn’t seem to be available at my lab. Should I add PSA or ferritin?

hs-CRP, perhaps other inflammatory markers

perhaps some of the immune cell tests, incl Treg tests

perhaps one or two of the main epigenetic aging clock tests (TruDiagnostic) and perhaps GlycanAge (was past of the AglessRx rapa trial I think)

1 Like

Thanks, hs-CRP is included here (Mexico) on the basic panel. Tregs, I looked at but too expensive. I’m particularly interested in the new 3rd generation DunedinPACE (TruAge PACE) test and the price is going down - $229 now. That one is still possible.

https://trudiagnostic.com/products/truage-pace

1 Like

FWIW

Consider GlycanAge, yes it was part of the AglessRx rapamycin trial.

Ask forum member Agetron (Jason) he has had several GlycanAge test, with rapymica.

2 Likes

Thanks, Joseph, I’ll look for comparisons between the 2. And yes, I knew that @Agetron had used GlycanAge but I think DunedinPACE is newer. There might be a new version of GrimAge, too.
The Epigentic clocks are still progessing so much that every new version is greatly improved.

2 Likes

Make sure you can use the Levine model used by Lustgarten. It’s only a few markers but you’ll feel left out without it

2 Likes

Discount codes for trudiagnostic.com
Do not know if they work, try!

1 Like

I used that on my blood test 3 months ago.

2 Likes

Yes.

GlycanAge is running a special 10% off. I will do my next test in a few weeks.

Link: glycanage.com

It measures inflammation based on glycans on your proteins. No inflammation… no arthritis.

Will post all my results. This test demonstrated for me too high dosing of rapamycin lead to silent pathology and reversed my gains at a lower dose.

PEARL AgelessRX human clinical trial with rapamycin used this biological test… pre and post dosing.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason, As you can see on my Levine Phenotypic Age above my hs-CRP (marker for inflamation) is way low at .05 - but I’ll look at the very latest comparisons of BioAge tests. I was impressed by this article addressed to Peter Attia (12/2023):

https://trudiagnostic.com/blogs/news-for-our-customers/industry-dialogues

1 Like