Has anyone gotten a cystatin C blood test for renal function? It's one of the top predictors of chronological age

I just received my first shipment of rapamycin and acarbose from India. I have a recent (3 months ago) standard blood panel. I’m about to do another before I start Rapa. Here’s my list of add-on bloodtests.

HbA1c
ApoB
ApoA1
25 Hydroxy Vit D
Cystatin C
Homcystein
IGF-1
Homa-IR
Testosterone - Total & Free
Lp(a) - one time
Zinc
DHT

I just sent in my OmegaQuant test…waiting for results. I’m also about to do a DEXA scan and a Vo2 max before starting Rapa. I do home monitor blood pressure and heart rate, (resting, max and HRV) and have been recording my sleep scores. Anything else?
I would add SHBG but it doesn’t seem to be available at my lab. Should I add PSA or ferritin?

hs-CRP, perhaps other inflammatory markers

perhaps some of the immune cell tests, incl Treg tests

perhaps one or two of the main epigenetic aging clock tests (TruDiagnostic) and perhaps GlycanAge (was past of the AglessRx rapa trial I think)

1 Like

Thanks, hs-CRP is included here (Mexico) on the basic panel. Tregs, I looked at but too expensive. I’m particularly interested in the new 3rd generation DunedinPACE (TruAge PACE) test and the price is going down - $229 now. That one is still possible.

https://trudiagnostic.com/products/truage-pace

1 Like

FWIW

Consider GlycanAge, yes it was part of the AglessRx rapamycin trial.

Ask forum member Agetron (Jason) he has had several GlycanAge test, with rapymica.

2 Likes

Thanks, Joseph, I’ll look for comparisons between the 2. And yes, I knew that @Agetron had used GlycanAge but I think DunedinPACE is newer. There might be a new version of GrimAge, too.
The Epigentic clocks are still progessing so much that every new version is greatly improved.

2 Likes

Make sure you can use the Levine model used by Lustgarten. It’s only a few markers but you’ll feel left out without it

2 Likes

Discount codes for trudiagnostic.com
Do not know if they work, try!

1 Like

I used that on my blood test 3 months ago.

2 Likes

Yes.

GlycanAge is running a special 10% off. I will do my next test in a few weeks.

Link: glycanage.com

It measures inflammation based on glycans on your proteins. No inflammation… no arthritis.

Will post all my results. This test demonstrated for me too high dosing of rapamycin lead to silent pathology and reversed my gains at a lower dose.

PEARL AgelessRX human clinical trial with rapamycin used this biological test… pre and post dosing.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason, As you can see on my Levine Phenotypic Age above my hs-CRP (marker for inflamation) is way low at .05 - but I’ll look at the very latest comparisons of BioAge tests. I was impressed by this article addressed to Peter Attia (12/2023):

https://trudiagnostic.com/blogs/news-for-our-customers/industry-dialogues

1 Like

Hannah Went the CEO… and the money maker of her program Trudiagnostic… has a Bachelors degree in Biology as I remember… pretty much at an un-outstanding university in Kentucky. Surrounds herself with others. But, she is the whole show.

I did visit with her one on one… unprofessional… late to the meeting… couldn’t remember my name… even though we set up the meeting and I reached out to her multiple times. Pretty unorganized. Disappointing. Her defense in the article… meh. All to make money. To each their own.

I trust renowned Ph.D.s like Yelena Budovskaya of Stanford aging reseach founder of TruMe or Ph.D. s Gordon Lauc and Aleksandar Vojta of GlycanAge. Which is why I use their tests.

Maybe biological tests aren’t where they will be someday… but… for now you do get information from using the same tests and looking for changes as one tries differing protocols and dosing.

Will do a post on this at my next test with both.

2 Likes

It does not directly measure inflammation. It measures something that can trigger inflammation, but glycan sialyation complexity ITSELF is facilitative/inhibitory towards inflammation, but not inflammation…

1 Like

Thanks to both @Agetron and @AlexKChen . The background on TrueDiagnostic is valuable but sad to hear, I do care about who I do business with. I think that the evolution of BioAge testing is fascinating and important and I try and keep up with it. Jason, I believe your point about sticking with the same test to get the most usable results, so I’m trying to make the best decision now.

1 Like

My Creatinine/eGFR was 1.32/66 so I decided to get a Cystatin C which came back at 0.95 and eGFR of 87. Creatinine is definitely misleading when weight training and taking creatine supplements.

4 Likes

Mine was 0.65 when I checked! Very happy about that considering I did some harmful things to my body in my 20s. I’m 38 years old and hold bodybuilder levels of muscle mass since that is relevant. eGFR is usually in the 80s but again I’m a large guy so it would be much higher if I were skinny.

Also relevant is that I am on 10mg Empagliflozin, which has shown to be excellent for kidney health (I’m also on 40mg Telmisartan and 5mg Nebivolol which keep my blood pressure on the low side).

eGFR measured from creatinine is likely to be inaccurate if you have a lot of muscle mass. Try using a cystatin C calculator.

2 Likes

Yes exactly, which is why Cystatin C is especially important and particularly amongst the bodybuilder population. If I’m dehydrated and just worked out, I could see some funky numbers. The Cystatin C improves the accuracy.

Here’s a calculator. It would be interesting to know your calculated results based on just Creatinine and those based on just Cystatin C.

There are quite a few different calculators.

1 Like

When I get home, I’ll go back to the same Cystatin C test results and do that calculation from the other tests I had that day to see if that calculator is accurate.

Kidney Function Metabolic

eGFR
    (mL/min/1.73m2)
        Mar 2024
        Range: >=60

Kidney Function

Kidney function tests are common lab tests used to evaluate how well the kidneys are working.

CYSTATIN C
    (mg/L)
        Mar 2024
        Range: 0.52-1.31

Basically kidney function is better than that of a young child. But this is consistent with my other PhenoAge results… I was really scared for a while b/c not ALL my biomarkers are ideal

====

Design and methods

Cystatin-C was measured in 536 healthy Greek children and adolescents (295 males and 241 females) using a nephelometric immunoassay. Additionally, the age, body mass index and blood pressure was recorded for each subject.

Results

Overall, the mean serum Cystatin-C level was 0.79 ± 0.10 mg/L. Cystatin-C was found to be statistically significantly lower in females than in males (p < 0.001) as well as in prepubertal children compared to adolescents (p < 0.001). Higher values of Cystatin-C were observed in subjects with increased BMI (p < 0.001). Neither systolic nor diastolic blood pressure was found to significantly affect Cystatin-C levels.

But these ranges are comparable to those in ADULTS in Reference intervals for plasma cystatin C and plasma creatinine in adults using methods traceable to international calibrators and reference methods - PMC - regardless, my cystatin C is lower than the lowest value in that study for men [not necessarily women].

1 Like