First dose feelings - apprehension about taking an experimental drug

It’s called nocebo effect not placebo.

1 Like

There are much cheaper and safer ways to induce positive psychosomatic sensations than taking rapamycin.

In Germany there are those sugar pills called Globuli which have such a huge following that they have become a political issue.

2 Likes

I am a part time German resident, and I often feel very perplexed by things there!

but then I wouldn’t get to be on this forum :grinning:

2 Likes

Any effects you perceived from your first dose could be a number of things… it could be a reaction from some food or supplement or medication interaction with the rapamycin you just took (if you have 't already, please read this thread on food / supplement interactions with rapamycin: Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs ).

Are you taking any other medications?

Track what you eat / take prior to dosing rapamycin so you can start to identify any patterns.

Or perhaps its a unique or rare biological reaction that you get. Some people here have reported negative reactions on as low as 1mg of rapamycin (though that is rare). Most people report not obvious side effects, and no obvious immediate benefits. See:

1. Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)
  2. Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

Or, the feelings you experienced could be just something else.

I would just track your pre-dosing routine and diet / supplements / medications - note them down in a journal, and then note any feelings over the hours and days afterwards, to try and see if there is a correlation.

4 Likes

Globuli sounds like a drug to treat a disease I made as a parable.

1 Like

Afaik globuli in germany are homeopathic sugar pills.

They legalized weed. What is happening there?

The usual. Berlin is on it, Bavaria is not :joy:

2 Likes

Matt Kaeberlein on his recent podcast shared he takes 8 mg nothing else with it and gets a Labcorp result a few hours later of 20 ng/mL.

So there’s a number for a researcher who knows rapamycin like nobody else.

4 Likes

Well. Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

I took my first 1mg dose last week. I was also extremely nervous since I don’t take any meds. No obvious side effects except I did sweat more while working out and I felt more winded or out of breath than normal. Yesterday I took my 2nd dose of 2mg with fish oil first thing in the am and my hands got sweaty along with full body sweating during a spin class this morning (it takes a lot for me to sweat) I’m wondering if it’s the “heavy heart” someone mentioned earlier. I just did a calcium score and mine were 0 except for left valve 20% blocked. I’m grateful for this thread and thanks everyone for chiming in!

3 Likes

Thanks, now I know where I will definitely not look for something to go with my Globuli sugar pills if I ever visit.

2 Likes

I take so much stuff, Rap is the least of my concerns LoL!

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed an effect taking a 7mg dose every 2 weeks for the past year.

But then my longevity stack is pretty tall :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Dr.
Question…I started about 7 weeks ago at 1mg per week ramping up to 6mg once a week. I was planning to stay at 6mg simply because that’s what I read here that most people are taking. But I saw your post today about 8-10 needed for therapeutic results. I thought I read something like this you posted before but couldn’t find it until this post I saw today. Is there any correlation between dose and weight? i.e. could you figure x mg per x weight? I weigh 180ish and was thinking of going to 7 or 8 mg once per week. What about females? my wife is 140ish and she is taking 5mg once per week.

thx

1 Like

There will be a mg/kg relationship to some degree in regard to serum levels. There are also things such as impaired liver function that can dramatically delay metabolism. There are items in regard to absorption - such as taking with fatty foods, or adding grapefruit juice. The volume of distribution, % of your body that is water (so body composition), and I’m sure a few other things I’ve forgotten.

I guess the bigger question is, just like Dr. Kaeberlein when he talks about his dosing and why … I can’t even say 100% we are going to have the outcomes we are striving for - so given that, talking about specific levels, more would relate to safety and then to efficacy - assuming Rapamycin is effective.

My comments were more in relation to getting a sirolimus level that is felt to be sufficient to provide enough MTORC1 suppression to avoid organ rejection in combination with other agents - which is 3 ng/mL. So this certainly is getting some reasonable outcome based effects. I don’t know if being below this dose. I’ve still not seen good literature correlating the ng/mL levels to what degree of mTORC1 inhibition one has. At least at 3 ng/mL we know it is sufficient to generate one outcome. Of note, as a solo agent, rapamycin usually is goaled at a trough level of 5-12 ng/mL depending upon the indication.

So, I guess, if I have someone who has ApoE4’s and we are looking to provide a reasonable level, including getting a reasonable peak level, I’ve got some patients requiring 12 mg or higher to do this, some needing to add grapefruit juice to achieve this.

I’d think just for longevity goals, unless you have some underlying issue with your liver or taking big doses with grapefruit juice, it’s tough to argue for doing levels if you are keeping in the 5-8 mg range weekly for most people. However, talk with your doctor.

I can only give my logic for what I do. I have no evidence at all. It is negotiated and discussed with each patient what strategy they want to pursue. The one thing I don’t want is continuous mTORC1 inhibition, and try to craft a dosing regimen for those monitoring where we don’t have more than 1/3rd of the time with a level >3 ng/mL.

Too many unknowns. Individual choices - but focus on safety first.

1 Like

thx for the repy although I have to admit it just makes it a little bit more confusing for me… There is so much info. here on the site! I am just looking more towards longevity. For my wife, we are dosing more for her early dementia diagnosis; (vascular) not longevity as she is 83. The Dr’s around here where I reside (lower south) seem to have a habit of either not knowing anything or they don’t want to be involved. I get the feeling it’s really that they don’t want to get involved… So for me would a 7 or 8mg be a good place to start/stay at and for my wife is 5mg enough do you think? And I understand it’s not medical advice you are giving me if you reply.

thx

1 Like

On a safety basis for most people, with gradual increases in dose, starting low and increasing weekly - making sure no side effects, most people tolerate in the range you mention without any significant adverse events. However, I’d still recommend that you talk with your physician and make sure they don’t feel there is some reason you’d come to harm with any of your other medical conditions or medications. I know Dr. Green often pushes doses a lot higher as patients get older and for cognitive decline. I often do that also, but monitor carefully and make sure all is well.
It is unfortunate you may end up needing to self manage - and that introduces some risks. In regard to your wife -you might want to consult Dr. Green as I think he is seeing people in a variety of states, as I don’t cover any of the lower south U.S. but he might. He has lots of experience with maximizing things with individuals with dementia - but I’d suspect he’d push the dose up, but also monitor.

3 Likes

Do you know for sure if the Siraboon folks even had their blood drawn and measured for Rapa? I have the Siraboon but haven’t started on it yet. I’m hoping it will help my gums and teeth.

1 Like