Fighting Alzheimer’s with Increased Autophagy via Rapamycin + Trehalose

I use organic Stevia powder in my coffee. Pure Stevia, no added sugar, erythritol, etc. Works for me, but I have not used added table sugar for decades. My wife is OK with Xylitol rather than the Stevia.

1 Like

The reason for trehalose.

2 Likes

I toke 100g Trehalose and 25 Acarbose today, and had bad diarrhea.

My strategy is to take Trehalose with Saccharomyces boulardii next time, Saccharomyces boulardii releases trehalase which helps hydrolyzing Trehalose, but I don’t know if adding Saccharomyces boulardii eliminates the benefit of Trehalose?

The rationale is as shown below. Trehalose can’t be directly absorbed, almost all Trehalose are hydrolyzed to two D-glucose, only less than 0.5% of Trehalose can be absorbed by passive diffusion.

I guess the autophagy effect is not induced by D-glucose, it’s more likely the 0.5% of Trehalose absorbed did the work. Here is the dilemma, people who lacks enzyme trehalase has diarrhea, but people who has abundant enzyme trehalase converts almost all Trehalose to D-glucose, then there is no Trehalose absorbed.

Should I add Saccharomyces boulardii to prevent diarrhea? But Saccharomyces boulardii hydrolyze Trehalose to D-glucose, it’s equivalently drinking the glucose sugar water, does it also activates Autophagy?Any thoughts?

Do you have other strategy to increase the absorption of Trehalose while avoiding the diarrhea?

When ingested, trehalose is not assimilated as a disaccharide
into the blood stream. Rather, it is enzymatically
hydrolyzed in the small intestine by a trehalose-specific
disaccharidase into two D-glucose molecules, which are
subsequently absorbed and metabolized.

In people who can not absorb trehalose normally due to a lack of trehalase it is thought that all absorption that occurs would be via passive diffusion; in regards to disaccharides in general, the amount absorbed by passive diffusion during instances of malabsorption tends to be around 0.5%.

I am a great believer in the Examine reviews of supplements. I took trehalose for a while and dropped it because I just don’t need another fart diarrhea-producing supplement in my daily stack. Acarbose may be worth taking, but it has caused me to drop carbs to a minimum to prevent the unpleasant side effects of acarbose.

2 Likes