Experiences starting Rapamycin for first time

Kevin,

We really have no idea about what the “right” blood levels for rapamycin are for longevity… so while its interesting (and that is a very high number compared to most applications / uses of rapamycin, other than cancer treatments), it really doesn’t tell us that much.

I think its actually more useful to have the “trough” level of rapamycin, which would require a blood test just before you take the next dose of rapamycin. Its generally believed that its the trough levels of rapamycin the drive the negative side effects of rapamycin - so you want it as low as possible, to minimize risks of side effects.

I hope you’re also doing regular blood testing for lipid levels and blood sugar levels to make sure you’re not getting disregulation in those areas from the rapamycin.

I recommend you read this thread, if you haven’t already: How to get a Rapamycin (sirolimus) Blood Level Test

5 Likes

Thanks RapAdmin,

Yes, I was wondering if it was the trough that was perhaps more important, ensuring a low enough dose to not activate mTOR 2.

I know Dr Green has suggested to go for 5 halvings from the peak, and I know the minimum trough value that transplant patients are meant keep above is 5ng/mL. Presumably this is because at least 5ng/mL is required to keep mTOR2 activated (which is what a transplant patient wants).

Allowing for some graduation this suggests to me you’d want well under 5ng/mL for the trough for anti-aging e.g. <1ng/mL.

On that logic I’m puzzled that 6mg weekly seems to be the ‘standard’ dosing.

I took 20mg and got 34ng/mL (no grapefruit juice). This suggests (for me at least) 1.7ng/mL per 1mg.

So (if the dose to blood level works linearly) 6mg would give (me at least) a peak level of 10.2 ng/mL.

I understand half-life of sirolimus is considered to be about 60 hours (although some have suggested could be 80 hours in non-transplant patients). This means 7 days would give 2.8 half-lives, which means a trough of 14% peak levels. If peak levels were 10.2 then this gives a trough of 1.5 ng/mL. This is below 5ng/mL, but not much below and doesn’t leave much room for error. For example if the half-life is actually 80 hrs the trough will be 2.4ng/mL.

If someone actually takes 10mg a week (as I understood nearly 10% of survey respondents said they did) then the troughs would be 2.5ng/mL (or 4ng/mL with 80 hrs half-life). Very close to the level for keeping mTOR2 activated.

However, if you were to take 12mg (or 20mg) fortnightly, the trough changes dramatically to 0.4ng/mL (instead of 1.5ng/mL) and in the worst case above, to 0.7ng/mL (instead of 2.5ng/mL).

This seems a much safer ‘stop activating mTOR2’ level to me.

2 weeks is the only way to get Dr Green’s recommended 5 halvings (5.6 at 60 hrs, 4.2 at 80 hrs).

Of course, perhaps my blood conversion level of 1.7ng/mL per 1mg of sirolimus is unusually high.

Right there with you Kevin. I’m puzzled as well about the weekly dose.

I use GFJ and got a peak of 27, tested after 12 days (if I remember right) and got a trough of 2. I did use 12 days for awhile, also used 10 days for awhile and this is where I got in trouble with lipids and fasting glucose. 2 weeks works great for me with my lipids now normal. I’m taking pioglitazone (has almost no effect yet), but the only thing I’ve found that works on my morning glucose is empagliflozin.

One way I found to increase AUC is to take a dose after 8 hours of another mg with GFJ. It puts the peak back up where it was and really the 2 week interval still gets you down to less than 1. I only did this for a couple times, but got no side effects and I still think it was a good idea.

All of this is speculative since there is really no proof. So wrecking lipids or glucose seems like a bad idea. Good luck,

2 Likes

I’d be really careful with interpreting this data. Measuring blood rapamycin levels shortly after taking the medicine is, I think, really hard. Look at how quickly the blood level peaks and then falls off. Its like catching a falling knife. If you repeated the test and varied the time just 15 minutes you could get radically different numbers. And the research suggests the blood levels and half lifes vary quite a bit person to person, and also depending on what you’re ingesting before taking the medicine.

Note: the above data is from this study: Pharmacokenetics and Safety of a Single Dose of Rapamycin (sirolimus) in Healthy Males

6 Likes

Hmm, thats a fair point. Using an average half life estimate to calculate expected future blood concentration is only valid if the decay function is an true exponential.

In fact it appears to be steeper than an exponential, as simple exponential would show as a straight line on this logarithmic chart.

In other words the half life appears to be just a few hours initially, then gets longer and longer.

I wonder if anyone has tried to fit a curve to this.

Ultimately this suggests, as you imply, the only way to know what the trough is reliably will be to measure it.

2 Likes

Agree, which is why I thought it prudent to go for 14days once I wanted to up my dose.

Am thinking I’d want a trough of under 1 if possible.

2 Likes

On the day I take my Rapa, I sometimes have less exercise tolerance. The day after I feel like I can run a marathon!

3 Likes

You cannot make these estimations based on your blood test. First of all, you don’t know what your peak was because when you take a blood test just a few hours after dosing you have no idea how close you were to the peak. Your peak might have been a lot higher than 24 µg/L. Secondly, even if you knew your peak level, you can’t use that to calculate your levels later because the drop is way faster than the elimination half-life in the beginning. You have to measure at least 24 hours after dosing to get meaningful data. 48 hours after dosing would be even better.

4 Likes

60 hours would make the math easier.

1 Like

Why is that data more meaningful in your opinion? How would you structure a sirolimus blood test? In September when I return from my summer holidays I was wanting to do a a blood test with few variables. Maybe a dose I am taking (5mg) with water, same dose with Itraconazole or Ritonavir and same dose with GFJ… I wanted to test peak (90 minutes after taking rapamycin) and trough values week later. But you seem to think this is not the best measurement?

It’s because you can’t catch the peak with any certainty. If you try to catch the peak by measuring at 90 minutes after taking rapamycin, you might be off by a lot. Your personal peak might be at 60, or even 120 or 180 minutes, depending on a lot of unknown factors like your stomach emptying rate. Rapamycin levels in the blood go up and down very quickly in the first several hours after dosing and you have no way of knowing how many minutes it takes for you exactly to reach peak levels. However, after 24 hours levels will have stabilized a lot more and then most of the quick up and down will be over and instead the level is declining steadily with a steady half-life. If you take x mg of rapamycin and measure your blood level after 24 hours or 48 hours and do the same a week later, you will get very similar blood values, because the levels are stable enough to be reliable. This also allows for easy comparison to the blood value of other people or between your values with or without GFJ

I suggest testing your rapamycin at 48 hours after dosing. If you do that twice, with or without GFJ or the drugs you mentioned, you will get a very good estimate of how much increase in bioavailability the GFJ or drugs will give you. I also recommend testing your level at 96 hours after dosing because then you will be able to calculate your rapamycin half-life. If you got the values at 48 and 96 hours you don’t really need to have the through value measured because you would be able to calculate the through value with decent enough accuracy using the 48 and 96 hour values.

4 Likes

Good points. Am going to focus on measuring the trough instead which is perhaps more relevant, and likely easier to measure reliably.

3 Likes

Thank you @Olafurpall for that! It makes really more sense.

Good luck guys, and please share your blood values here for reference.

2 Likes

Got trough measurement at 14 days.

Peak 3 hrs after taking 20mg Sirolimus was 34ng/mL (34ug/L).
Trough 14 days later was 1.1ng/mL (1.1ug/L).

I had been aiming for just under 1.1ng - so this is pretty close. Means I did end up with a half-life of about 70hrs.

This suggest that if I took 10mg weekly my trough would only be 3.4ng, not much below the 5ng threshold considered (I believe) to be ‘active’ for immune system suppression.

This does seem to me to confirm my feeling that fortnightly is better than weekly, especially if looking at dose higher than 6mg (per week)

8 Likes

In the end Sinclair did eventually prove that his Resveratrol findings where correct after all.

He takes it everyday with Yogurt, which is the necessary to its effectiveness.

2 Likes

Hi Pantoner, welcome to the site.

Ah - I’m not sold on resveratrol yet. There are still limited third party studies that show it works. And, the best studies that are done in the longevity field are the National Instites on Aging ITP program (that tests different drugs and other compounds in mice at three different labs / locations at the same time, so effectively three different studies at once) - and the ITP has found no benefit from Resveratrol.

Paper published on their study of resveratrol:

ITP program information:

3 Likes

are there any recommendations which time of day to ray rapamycin? should it be taken with food or without?

1 Like

Many people will take it in the morning as do I because some people experience a burst of energy which makes it hard to sleep.

Some people will take Rapamycin with a fatty meal as it improves absorption by 0.5X. Some people take Grapefruit juice 1-4 hours before taking Rapamycin as it increases absorption by 3-4X (for some maybe more). Others take Rapamycin with Metformin to blunt side effects such as rebound or high blood sugar.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

read up here Improve Bioavailability of Rapamycin (2)

here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

1 Like