Exercise, VO2 max, and longevity | Mike Joyner, M.D

1 Like

Neuroscience News: Aerobic Activity Can Reduce the Risk of Metastatic Cancer by 72%.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I read the obituaries in the local paper every morning (not to be morbid, just to appreciate other people’s lives and remind myself that I’m going to die someday like everyone else).

Anyway, it’s pretty amazing to me how many of the people in the obituaries are in their 90’s.

This makes me very happy for them that they had such a long life, but I also think “wow, there’s no way all of these people were doing strenuous exercise for the last 50 years.”

It just seems like a lot of people are making it into their late 80’s and 90’s without focusing on any of this stuff at all. I’d still exercise just as much regardless because it makes me feel good, but a small part of me wonders how many years it’s really going to add.

3 Likes

I don’t expect exercise alone to add too many years, but I do expect it to add a great deal of quality to my years. I see older people in their 80s and 90s who are largely house-bound, and living very static lives. I’m hoping that exercise allows me to continue a much more dynamic, active lifestyle for much longer (and hopefully things like rapamycin, acarbose, etc. add an extra 20 or 30 years).

2 Likes

I also read that 10 min on vibrating platform equals 40 min in a gym.

1 Like

A related discussion:

3 Likes

That’s a great point!

1 Like

This makes me debate using metformin, since it would seem to blunt some of the positive benefits from exercise such as VO2 improvements and some other relevant adaptions (but not all) :frowning:

From what I gather, it’s entirely plausible that metformin’s life extension potential may only be due to observations of diseased participants (who are less likely to exercise).

Yes - I was on metformin a few years ago, and continued it initially when I started rapamycin. But I stopped when the news started coming out about the impact on muscle, as I mention here: Rapamycin + Metformin

But I’ve become a little less dogmatic on this… you might try with and without for 4 months and see if you notice a difference. Bryan Johnson takes Rapamycin, Metformin and Acarbose and doesn’t seem to be suffering too much on the muscle /strength side of things: Brian Johnson's Longevity Protocol - Your Thoughts?

And, if you look at our poll/survey of our rapamycin users - the most common other medication people are using is metformin: Rapamycin User Survey #2 - Please Respond

So, like most things, its complex :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Joyner. Followed him for years and years and really enjoyed this interview.
One of the big reasons I was interested in rapamycin is because after hearing and reading about its effects it sounded a lot like some of the adaptations/effects you get from running. It especially reminded me of fasted state long runs, where you fast for 12-14 hrs then do a long run with no nutrition.

I can’t help but view rapamycin through the lens of a coach/trainer and the adaptations it brings to the table. I’ve always exercised knowing/hoping that it will help with longevity. Hopefully adding rapa to the equation will help with compression of morbidity.

To that point, does anyone else view taking a weekly dosage of rapamycin as a stimulus towards adaptation? Similar to that of a workout? Incorporating it into my running routine reminds me of how I feel after a fasted state run. My legs are more tired and I feel a bit more beat up as if my muscles weren’t using readily available glycogen stores for the workout.

4 Likes

I love this graph in principle, But I’m not convinced by the functional correlates to vo2 max.

This paper suggests 20+ is needed to climb 5 flights of stairs. And only 12+ for one flight of stairs.

Stair Climbing - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics.

1 Like
2 Likes

anyone looking to increase their exercise?
‘Some species of gut-dwelling bacteria activate nerves in the gut to promote the desire to exercise’
https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2022/december/gut-microbes-can-boost-the-motivation-to-exercise

3 Likes

Sounds good, but are there any supplements available to directly increase Eubacterium rectale and Coprococcus eutactus other than fiber, fermented foods, etc.?