Evaluation of Off-label Rapamycin use to Promote Healthspan in 333 Adults (New Paper)

The new paper that is based on the survey (that many here particpated in) on rapamycin use in healthy people, is now out and open access. If you are new to rapamycin and want to talk your regular doctor about getting a prescription for rapamycin, this would be my vote for one of the papers to include in the information you give him or her.

Rapamycin (sirolimus) is an FDA-approved drug with immune-modulating and growth-inhibitory properties. Preclinical studies have shown that rapamycin extends lifespan and healthspan metrics in yeast, invertebrates, and rodents. Several physicians are now prescribing rapamycin off-label as a preventative therapy to maintain healthspan. Thus far, however, there is limited data available on side effects or efficacy associated with use of rapamycin in this context. To begin to address this gap in knowledge, we collected data from 333 adults with a history of off-label use of rapamycin by survey. Similar data were also collected from 172 adults who had never used rapamycin. Here, we describe the general characteristics of a patient cohort using off-label rapamycin and present initial evidence that rapamycin can be used safely in adults of normal health status.

…

Survey-based data of 333 off-label rapamycin users indicates a high perceived quality of life and good health status. No major differences in basic demographics or lifestyle features were noted between the rapamycin users and non-users. Among survey respondents, rapamycin users were on average slightly older than non-users for both men (9 years) and women (6 years). Rapamycin users reported consuming more alcohol than non-users, and a greater percentage of rapamycin users were male (78% male) compared to non-users (63% male).

Rapamycin users generally reported perceived improvements in quality of life since beginning off-label use of rapamycin. Ratios of greater than 3:1 in agreement were observed for self-reported improvements in health, happiness, brain function, feelings of youthfulness, confidence, calmness, anxiety, and generalized aches and pains. Interestingly, greater than fivefold more rapamycin users agreed with the comment that “family/friends have commented that I look good” than disagreed, suggesting that these perceived self-benefits may also be apparent to others.

Full Paper:

13 Likes

there’s an error in the first bar chart, severe is labeled grey whereas in the chart it is coloured red

Ah, that sucks. Nothing I hate more than finding a mistake in a document just after its sent off… Thankfully thats a pretty minor one.

3 Likes

I am sure many of us are in those 333 surveyed numbers.

Nice!

Rapamycin and Dog aging provide insights for human longevity.

2 Likes

Lifespan.io gets around to covering the Rapamycin user survey study done by University of Washington:

2 Likes