Dr. Joan Mannick — mTOR’s Role in Aging

I am mainly from northern European stock and they are known for eating a lot of dairy products along with eggs and a high meat and fish diet. Maybe that accounts for my tolerance of saturated fats. Not too many fresh vegetables around in those long winters, at least not until modern times.

1 Like

I may have missed it elsewhere - do you take statins?

1 Like

You might consider Policosanols?

This was mentioned in August 2022.

Mannick’s pivotal paper in 2014 was so important that it convinced many Doctors and Scientists that Rapamycin could improve health span and probably increase longevity. Evirolimus was used in the trial which was the Novaritis drug of choice. (Novaritis decided not to pursue because no money to be made) It is of course, weaker than Sirolimus (mg. to mg.) Mannick is a corporate person working for profit companies her whole life. She develops drugs that will require Rx and will be a lot more expensive that Sirolimus. Matt Kaberlein would destroy her in a no holds bar debate because she focuses more on what is good and profitable for the company vs the patient. She will endorse a product that has been engineered so a patent can issue and money can be made. Mtor inhibitors that only target Tor 1 will be trialed for Rx. Much higher doses can be used without worrying about side effects.

2 Likes

Review the link below, as both{ Kaberlein and Mannick] where presenters at the conference.

1 Like

I have not been taking statins for several months. My quasi Mediterranean Diet seems to have it under control. Also, I recently, 4 weeks ago stopped taking rapamycin on advice from my doctor. Yes, I finally told my doctor, he is neutral and will not prescribe rapamycin.
My latest blood tests showed I was probably anemic. He has me taking an iron supplement, but that can take as much as several months to have a significant effect.

All of these measurements were “normal” before I started rapamycin. I was treated for anemia as a child, so I may be pre-disposed for it.
FWIW: I feel fine and do not have any of the tiredness, etc, associated with anemia.

1 Like

Did you by chance have a TIBC and ferritin checked prior to starting iron?

I had a ferritin test, but not a TBIC.
One confounding factor that I failed to mention was I gave blood twice last year. My doctor told me I should quit doing that because of my age. He basically said old bones don’t replace red blood cells and platelets as fast. So at this point, I have stopped rapamycin, and blood donations and I am taking an iron pill.

1 Like

That level is certainly iron deficiency. The blood donations can certainly drop ferritin levels . I’m sure you’ve had a colonoscopy.

Yes, I did have a colonoscopy, just a few years ago. Completely clean no polyps.

Those of us with less time to wait five to ten years for some miracle drug that will end up costing a fortune can’t wait for that miracle. I recently joined the AgelessRx Rapamycin trial starting this past week. I’ll be taking the compound formula as well as Metformin which I have been on for at least two months. It will be nice to be around when the new fountain of youth drug is finally approved of by the FDA. But anyone thinking it will be cheap should ask themself how cheap is Rapamycin now. Not very unless you got deep pockets. I say good luck to her and hope her company is successful. Till then I’ll stay on the AgelessRx trial as its the only way I’d ever get a doctor to approve it for me.

3 Likes

latest blood tests showed I was probably anemic. He has me taking an iron supplement, but that can take as much as several months to have a significant effect.

Iron is much more readily absorbed in the presence of vitamin C. Either take a VitC tablet at the same time or eat a fruit high in VitC like a kiwi.

Joan Mannick was in academia her whole life. Most recently Harvard medical school. I believe that she left in her 50s or so to go into private practice.

2 Likes

FWIW

If you never listened to the Attia podcast 123 with Joan Mannick, review the podcast;

Or you can ask her questions.

Joseph, I have been on Rapa since 2017, and have read everything on Joan Mannick. All I have to say is she is a corporate doctor working for profit companies which have a different agenda than people like Dr. Attia, Blaksklonny, and Kaeberlein. Kaeberlein is not going to attack her for refusing to recommend Rapa for longevity purposes. We all know and respect her for her breakthrough work on the Mannick trial, but she is not someone I would recommend as a person to seek advise on longevity. Many would die early if following her advise.

2 Likes

I would do colonoscopy again, just in case.

1 Like

@RapAdmin Thank you for sharing this video!

Dr. Mannick touches on one of my biggest curiosities - When does mTOR modulation go from optimal to suboptimal ( or from youthful to aging ) ? Knowing how mTOR functions in youth is helpful for a possible model to measure and follow as we age and how to dose/ regulate rapamycin. From an immune response, per her data, not until about 75?

With Dr. Mannicks estimations on new data in the next 5 years, it would cause pause for me if I were in the 20 - 30 year old range and considering or taking off label rapamycin - although I get why many choose to take on the risk vs. benefit.

The lipid discussion on this thread is interesting. I appreciate the passion and conviction of the opinions stated. Heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the US despite all of the data, interventions and knowledge of how to prevent and treat it. We have come along way from total cholesterol to advanced lipid testing and frontline cardiologist to lipidologist - yet CVD is still the leading cause of death and deserves all the attention it can get for surveillance, intervention and prevention.

2 Likes

From the Forbes article.

Dr. Joan Mannick: Most of my family has had careers in academic medicine. So for 30 years I followed the family path and had a career as a physician/scientist in academic medicine. However when I turned fifty, I started to question whether I wanted to spend the rest of my life in the same career. My father gave me excellent advice and pointed out that age fifty might be one of the last times that I would have the opportunity to try a new career.At the time, I was getting recruited by some biotech companies. I had friends who had left academic medicine for pharma and who loved their new careers. So, I took a leap of faith and took a job in biotech although I actually kept my academic lab for a year in case I didn’t like biotech and wanted to go back to academics.

3 Likes