Dosing with Methylene Blue

Having had significant, if temporary, cognitive improvement from taking Rapamycin, and also having seen first hand how mentally switched on people who live to 100 plus are. I’ve recently been investigating ways to improve brain function and stumbled onto near infrared treatment combined with Methylene Blue.

My wife and I already have a near infrared head set, which I can confirm does work very well. But I’m unclear on how to dose with Methylene Blue and what brands are the safest to dose with.

Does anyeone have experience with Methylene Blue?

2 Likes

They talk about dosing in some of the studies mentioned in the document below (admittedly this is a document last updated in 2018, so perhaps you can find something more recent)

Source: For Researchers | Cognitive Vitality | Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation

Methylene-Blue-Cognitive-Vitality-For-Researchers.pdf (327.2 KB)

Personally, 0.5mg per Kg of bodyweight.

1 Like

I have MB on my list of ATP boosters (that is substances which increase ATP production without in itself making mitochondria more efficient - which is a better target, but in the absence of that more ATP is potentially a good thing).

I have so far tested 4mg, 8mg and 16mg each on one occasion without any noticeable bad side effects. I weigh around 82kg.

MB has a 4 hour half life. My plan for ATP boosting is to try to improve ATP production for a daytime window. My experience inclines me to the view that if ATP production is high at night I don’t sleep that well. However, in terms of protein production it is probably worth having a window of say 8 hours when ribosome function is maximised.

1 Like

Thanks, I assume you can just take that orally?

What about purity? I’m assuming I can’t just buy off of Amazon and take that? In the same way lab ethanol can contain benzine.

Again any pointers would be helpful. I’m trying to acquire it in the UK.

I bought it off Amazon. I live in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JLK4CZF/

I mixed 1g with 250ml of water and measure out ml of the mix giving me 4mg in each ml.

High levels of MB will generate ROS. Hence I am not sure I would go up to the 0.5mg/kg (which for me is 41mg per day)

My plan is to combine a number of ATP boosters in one go. The one I have had a problem with so far is PQQ.

This, however, is my list: Creatine,D-Ribose,MB,PQQ,COQ,MK7

I am probably going to try the combination without PQQ. I also need to study the half lives to time things to get them to coincide properly.

I have not noticed an effect from COQ10, but I have noticed an individual effect from each one of the others. Hence I will probably build up to this (and load up on melatonin the night beforehand and H2 in the morning).

I have also done a Selenium blood test (on wednesday). My guess is that my selenium levels are within an adequate range, but as Selenium (and Caffeine) is/are other players in mitochondrial efficiency I want to know the situation before trying the next step. I am not really a coffee drinker, but I do drink normal tea (which has Caffeine).

1 Like

Thanks. Does it come with a data sheet or anything to specify purity?

How have you found the effects from this particular supplier?

Nothing to report really.

Google Search for " Dr. Francisco Gonzalez-Lima, methylene blue, University of Texas." You may find useful background information. My research from some time ago was to start with 1 to 2 mg for a few days, then 3 to 4 mg and so on up to 10 mg a day looking for any type of effect. At 10 mg I may have noticed a small effect, but I’m not really sure. Since it can be very dangerous at high doses I am very cautious, but my research indicated not to go above 1 mg per kilogram of body weight without medical supervision. Reducing that to half as in 0.5 mg per kilogram of body weight would probably be my upper limit if I decide it’s worth using. So far, I have not given it an A-OK, but I plan to give it a third trial in a few weeks. I can’t help you with links about my prior research because it was too many months ago for me to remember. Look for pharmaceutical grade (suitable for human use), not laboratory grade. Searching for it as part of a fish bowl disinfectant or at a lab supply store is a bad idea because it could contain very hamrful contaminants. Getting it already in liquid form may be less complicated if you just want to give it a trial. It has no taste, but since it’s a very powerful dye it will dye anything it touches, including you. I put less than an ounce of water in a small glass and about 1/16 tsp of powdered vitamin C, followed by 20 drops (10 mg) of MB in liquid form. I stir that for about 10 seconds, then leave it alone for 15 to 20 minutes for the chemical process to take away most of the blue. It is then mostly Leucomethylene Blue. One quick swallow on an empty stomach and it’s gone, but you’ll have a bluish tongue for an hour or so. Without the vitamin C your tongue and mouth would be as darkly colored as the MB straight out of the bottle. The only source I know of at this time is Amazon. Look for a USP label and possibly a Certificate of Analysis.

2 Likes

I have posted this before. This is what I have been using on and off for years with no detectable ill effects:

Methylene Blue 1% Compass Laboratory |USP-Grade Methylthioninium Chloride Liquid | High Purity Dietary Supplement for Brain Function & Cognitive Health | No Formaldehyde (1) 50ml Glass Dropper Bottle

I encapsulate it in gelatin capsules right before taking to avoid staining.

https://www.amazon.com/Methylene-Laboratory-Methylthioninium-Supplement-Formaldehyde/dp/B09J1JRSLC/ref=sr_1_1

Any side effects? You’re not turning blue?

No, but does make the toilet water aqua-green :grin:.

KarlT, I haven’t noticed any side effects other than bluish urine and I have not turned blue yet although I’ve heard that if you take a high enough dose the whites of your eyes may appear bluish until you stop using it. I don’t know if that’s an exaggeration or not, but I suspect it is.

1 Like

How many milligrams is in a millilitre of the 1% solution? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thank you :blush:

Google helped me :joy:

A one percent solution is defined as 1 gram of solute per 100 milliliters final volume . For example, 1 gram of sodium chloride, brought to a final volume of 100 ml with distilled water, is a 1% NaCl solution.

From the box the methylene blue came in:

1 Like

Do you notice a benefit?

Not really, but the benefits ascribed to methylene blue may be subtle. If it is preventing memory decline or prolonging life, it would take a long time to tell and we would have to rule out other variables.
There may be some benefits to using it as an anti-viral prophylactic.

2 Likes

Thank you! I see it has antibacterial properties as well :blush:

I use the same compass laboratory brand as desert shores. It’s also the suggested brand in the highly recommend book: The Ultimate Guide to Methylene Blue: Remarkable Hope for Depression, COVID, AIDS & other Viruses, Alzheimer’s, Autism, Cancer, Heart Disease, … Targeting Mitochondrial Dysfunction) https://a.co/d/3XoJt3v

For dosing, I started with 1 drop (.5mg) in about 6oz of water. I drink it down quickly with a straw. Less mess. Less blue lips which is temporary anyway like having a blue popsicle. When I first started, I doubled the dose every day just to measure its effects. Doubling the dose daily happens quickly. 1 drops, 2, 4, 8, 16, ect. I went up to about 60 drops. One full dropper equals about 20 drops. When I first started taking it I had a wonderful feeling. Hard to describe. I just kep thinking. “I feel good! I feel healthy. “ This feeling slowly seemed to fade after the first week or two. I now only take it every once in awhile. Usually just a 20 drop dose. I frequently take it when doing my version of the superhumanprotocol.com I take methylene blue. I do a session of PEMF. Then I do my exercise of choice. And then I do a red light therapy session. As you may know, methylene blue has an excitement peak at about 660 nm.

2 Likes