Dose worrying? Overactivation of Mtor, article Dr. Blagosklonny

Dear Friends I have seen a article of Dr. Balkonsgky about doses and rebound of Mtor

4 Likes

If TOR is turned off, the cell begins to accumulate lipids. In addition to amino acids and glucose, TOR is sensitive to lipids inside the cell, which leads to hyperactivation. Higher dose - higher rebound. A high intermittent dose may not mean better.

Phosphatidic Acid and Lipid Sensing by mTOR

mTORC1 regulates a lysosome-dependent adaptive shift in intracellular lipid species

8 Likes

Well this is a bit concerning.

1 Like

The rebound effect on mTor I think is what has allowed many users to gain muscle even better than while not on rapamycin.

I wonder if there are reasonable ways someone could assess if their rebound mTor is reaching levels that are too high.

3 Likes

We need an easy way to measure mTORC1 and a drug that selectively targets it

Context is important. He is talking about higher intermittent dosing in the passage you highlighted.

3 Likes

I think there is no paper about that. All we really have is an ITP result that intermittent dosing has nearly the same effect as a lifelong treatment.
This just highlights that context is important. Intermittent dosing shedule is not the problem.

However, I use intermittent high dose regime but that way:
3 or 6 month cycle
start at 6mg once a week
go up to 14mg for a short period
lowering dose slowly to 6mg/week
then stopping at the end of the cycle.

its just a try to see if it works out for me. I cant recommend it to others. In short: its about immunology and the blood brain barrier.

4 Likes

Perhaps a daily dosage will off set the mTOR rebound cycle?

1 Like

This was also fairly well discussed in this thread: Doses and Schedules of Rapamycin for Longevity - Blagosklonny - #15 by scta123
There is no evidence.
The theory is worth thinking about, unfortunately we can not always apply logical thinking to the response of the body because we do not know all of the variables and feedback loops. Until I see any evidence it is just a theory.

4 Likes

I put little weight into anything Blago writes. Inconsistent, speculative, and transparent in his desire to become the ‘authority’ on Rapamycin.

7 Likes

All my reading indicates mTORC1 cannot be targeted without also eventually down regulating mTORC2, because C2 depends on C1.

1 Like

I dont understand why you’re thinking this. Writing blogarticles isnt the key to boost a scientific career (except you want to make your carreer end). Please feel free to go more in detail here.

If that were the logic, wouldn’t there be mTOR rebound after CR as well? Has anybody had side effects from fasting?

2 Likes

There is no such paper as regards the kind of intermittent dosing Blagosklonny refers to here and that is practiced by most on this forum: taking a dose (in B’s paper, a high dose) once a week or so. The only ITP paper that approaches that is this report that “Exposure to Rapa [at triple the dose of the original ITP] for a 3-month period led to significant longevity benefit in males only. Protocols in which each month of Rapa treatment was followed by a month without Rapa exposure were also effective in both sexes, though this approach was less effective than continuous exposure in female mice.” Either three months of continuous dosing or alternate-month lifelong dosing are quite different from intermittent dosing in our sense.

The only true intermittent-dose rapamycin lifespan study is this one, and it showed very small life extension effects and only tested it in female mice, who typically benefit more than males.

2 Likes

I don’t know, no one knows, cells know how to adapt to stress, they can’t be fooled by rapamycin)

Lipid Droplets and the Management of Cellular Stress

when choosing a dose, I focus on my own spermatogenesis

After being on a plant based diet for 2 years, and switching to high protein and intense hypertrophy workouts (x3 resistance bands) I experienced very quick muscle gains. I think the workouts are great but some kind of rebound effect from the previous low protein diet is happening. Just a personal theory.

3 Likes

You equate plant based with fasting? How many calories did you take while on plant-based? How many now?

You equate plant-based with low protein, therefore low athletic prowess? The people below are vegans.

Our top vegan athletes include:

• Timo Hildebrand (Soccer)
  • Venus Williams (Tennis)
  • Novak Djokovic (Tennis)
  • Lewis Hamilton (F1)
  • Serena Williams (Tennis)
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger (Bodybuilding)
  • Lawrence Okolie (Boxing)
  • Fiona Oakes (Running)
  • Andreas Kraniotakes (MMA)
  • Carl Lewis (Track & Field)
  • Patrik Baboumian (Power Sports)
  • Benedikt Höwedes (Soccer)
  • Dirk Nowitzki (Basketball)
  • Johanna Jahnke (Rugby)
  • Kendrick Farris (Weightlifting)

I am not vegan, nor an advocate of any diet. I subscribe to George Foreman’s see-food diet. I see food, I eat it (except pastries). Am not a foodie either - 5’10", 132 pounds. (Friends say I eat like a bird). I am just lazy to choose. I eat any cuisine.

My post was a reaction to Blagosklonny’s comment, quoted above, that intermittent rapamycin dosing may cause harm, due to mTORC rebound:

However, intermittent therapy may have some disadvantages. Such schedules include drug-free periods. During these periods, mTOR can be overactivated in compensation and may, in theory, cause acute harmful events. (I believe that rebound of mTOR in endothelial cells may increase thrombosis, arterial permeability and arterial spasm).

Your plant-based diet was long-term (2 years), not intermittent. So Blag’s comment would not apply to you. Assuming it applies, you suffered no harm, but gained muscle. So your N=1 experience, actually proves Blag’s belief is misplaced.

1 Like

Many here have benefitted from intermittent dosing. It is the intermittent high dosages that cause problems, as Agetron and desertshores have shared.

Between Blag’s theory and belief, and the experience of the members here, I put greater weight in the experiential data.

1 Like

I was referring to the rebound effect, I think it exists in biology. My example is my low-to-high protein diet. My diet for 2 years was typical of plant based diets, which tend to be lower protein, especially lower in leucine and methionine. My diet was quite low total protein (< 50g). It’s certainly possible to eat a high protein plant based diet and of course many athletes do, but typically your average vegan is not eating a high protein diet and neither did I. So switching to a high (>120g) protein diet was a big change for me. It’s all n=1, but my belief is that my body sucked up the protein quite well after the change and that’s why I was able to gain muscle so quickly. My body fat levels have not changed. I could be completely wrong.

3 Likes