Don’t waste your money on expensive EVOO or ‘high polyphenol’ olive oil!

See thread ‘Is Canola Oil Surprisingly healthy’?

Don’t waste your money on EVOO, high polyphenol oils. Get polyphenols from other, less expensive foods, and get a canola oil. Canola oil is high in ALA, PUFA’s, lower in SFA, reduces LDL, TG etc, more than olive oil.

Canola oil is a health food and shouldn’t be excluded from a healthy diet. Nuts have poor absorption rates. You want the fat.

1 Like

Supporting data for your position??

Seems to be some reasonable data for EVOO: Dietary Inflammation Tied to Muscle Aging

and A spoonful of olive oil daily could save your brain from dementia

With all the usual caveats of nutritional studies…

3 Likes

From previous thread:

Consumption of canola oil (CO) and olive oil (OO), two widely consumed vegetable oils that are low in saturated fatty acids and rich in monounsaturated fatty acids have been recommended.

We compared the effects of these two oils on lowering blood lipid levels

We found that CO was the more effective oil to reduce low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-c), total cholesterol (TC), and LDL-c/high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c) ratio, with no significant effects on HDL-c, triglyceride (TG), TC/HDL-c ratio, and very-low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (VLDL-c) levels compared to OO.

Regarding 1 olive having higher polyphenol content than 2 tablespoons of olive oil:

To get the equivalent polyphenols of a single olive (3-4 calories), you’ll need to eat about 2.4 tablespoons of olive oil, 288 calories.

Nut absorption (nut butters are probably different)

EVOO is a scam.

So, you’re just taking your messaging out from this other thread: Is canola oil surprisingly healthy?

I’ve not reviewed all the data so don’t have an opinion right now. Certainly EVOO has gotten all the beneficial press.

1 Like

The evidence is overwhelming that canola oil is better than olive oil. Whether people update their decisions based on available information depends on bias, etc, and not scientific evidence in most cases.

I am now trying to eat more canola oil. I am trying to mix it with frozen berries in a blender, it seems like it will work well. I think eating more canola oil and taking statin will have a nice effect on lipids. It is a neutral tasting oil.

I will have personal data in 6 weeks maybe how my lipids will change from using a lot of olive oil to using canola oil.

The One Oil to Rule Them All :ring:

Effects of rapeseed oil on body composition and glucolipid metabolism in people with obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41430-023-01344-1

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I’ll be sticking with my daily EVOO. I mix all my polyphenol powders, resveratrol, NMN, Hyaluronic Acid, fresh ground black pepper, and curcumin in EVOO. It just tastes much better than using canola oil. In addition, all the longevity experts use EVOO and not other oils.

But, thanks for the mental exercise to compare and optimize oils! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want higher apoB then olive oil can be a good choice.

If you prefer lower apoB then canola oil is an excellent choice.

Olive oil looks pretty good too me :grinning:

Quote from the above:

Key Takeaways: Canola oil is a common, cheap, and versatile substitute for other oils high saturated fatty acids. Evidence supports that it can optimize your lipid profile by lowering total cholesterol while keeping HDL cholesterol levels healthy. However, unlike some of other oils we examine, it is not likely to reduce your levels of triglycerides.

1 Like

When I hear olive oil I think of the Godfather dying from a heart attack in the garden while playing with his grandson. It is higher in saturated fats and lower in PUFA. That SFA contributes to artery clogging via LDL / apoB. The PUFA helps to lower it further.

It’s interesting because I see so many people on social media saying that Canola oils are killing the world. What data are they going on?

3 Likes

Observational data with graphs where canola/seed oil consumption is shown along with obesity rates.

Mechanistic evidence of canola oil in vitro, vivo, mice, etc.

Processing, appeal to nature.

The evidence for canola oil is based on great data, human trials, cardiac causal risk factors, etc!

Although care must be taken in handling and processing of canola oil and other vegetable oils, canola oil is a safe and healthy form of fat that will reduce blood LDL cholesterol levels and heart disease risk compared to carbohydrates or saturated fats such as found in beef tallow or butter. Indeed, in a randomized trial that showed one of the most striking reductions in risk of heart disease, canola oil was used as the primary form of fat. [8] Whether using cold-pressed canola oil provides some small additional benefit is not clear.

Citing this study:

Mediterranean alpha-linolenic acid-rich diet in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease

In a prospective, randomised single-blinded secondary prevention trial we compared the effect of a Mediterranean alpha-linolenic acid-rich diet to the usual post-infarct prudent diet.

After a first myocardial infarction, patients were randomly assigned to the experimental (n=302) or control group (n=303). Patients were seen again 8 weeks after randomisation, and each year for 5 years. The experimental group consumed significantly less lipids, saturated fat, cholesterol, and linoleic acid but more oleic and alpha-linolenic acids confirmed by measurements in plasma. Serum lipids, blood pressure, and body mass index remained similar in the 2 groups. In the experimental group, plasma levels of albumin, vitamin E, and vitamin C were increased, and granulocyte count decreased. After a mean follow up of 27 months, there were 16 cardiac deaths in the control and 3 in the experimental group; 17 non-fatal myocardial infarction in the control and 5 in the experimental groups: a risk ratio for these two main endpoints combined of 0·27 (95% Cl 0·12-0·59, p=0·001) after adjustment for prognostic variables. Overall mortality was 20 in the control, 8 in the experimental group, an adjusted risk ratio of 0·30 (95% Cl 0·11-0·82, p=0·02).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)92580-1/fulltext

1 Like

IMO the problem with canola oil is it’s cheap. Like with many “super-foods” there’s a giant marketing machine promoting overpriced olive oils that won’t work with with non-luxury stuff.

I’ll stay out of the discussion re omega-6 intake (it doesn’t look like settled science at a glance, but I haven’t dug deeply). If there’s any argument for sourcing the non-fat OO compounds, though, whole olives or dried leaves are far superior sources.

Needless to say, if you like olive oil, no ones’s suggesting you not consume it in reasonable quantities. Just that any health benefit can likely be obtained more economically.

1 Like

Yeah, eating a few olives everyday that has no sodium added seems like a good idea. That will give a lot of more polyphenols than what is in expensive olive oil. And at the same time keep saturated fat low.

1 Like

I’ve recently switched to cold-pressed, high-oleic sunflower oil, which has an even higher proportion of mono-unsaturated fat than EVOO.

PUFA seems to be good that is in canola oil though.

The primary issue with PUFAs is that they are highly unstable. Leading to greater oxidation of LDL cholesterol.

The advantage of EVOO seems to be multifactorial:
“current research on beneficial effect of EVOO, and in particular in conjunction with Mediterranean style diets, is being focused on defining its effects on newer cardiovascular risk factors, such as inflammation, oxidative stress, coagulation, platelet aggregation, fibrinolysis, endothelial function or lipids or on the modulation of the conditions which predispose people to cardiovascular events, such as obesity, metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes mellitus”

But importantly you’re unlikely to replicate the benefits by simply using canola oil + occasionally eating olives. Timing and frequency is important. See:
The paradoxical effect of extra-virgin olive oil on oxidative phenomena during in vitro co-digestion with meat - PubMed(2.5%25%20respect,in%20the%20gastro%2Dintestinal%20system.

I’m curious about the heading of this thread. In the UK extra virgin olive oil is pretty cheap (£1 per 1100 kcalories). Is it much more expensive in the US? Decent Olives by contrast are much more expensive.

3 Likes

Any studies to cite?

Hi Brad, welcome back. They are in this thread later on, and in the thread I link in the original post.
If I would eat the healthiest possible diet, I would include canola oil.

Of course I care about evidence, if someone posts evidence that shows that olive oil is better I will switch to that. It is lovely to base one’s beliefs on evidence.

1 Like

What if its not the polyphenols?
https://www.lifespan.io/news/oleanoic-acid-protects-against-cardiac-aging-in-mice/

3 Likes