Is canola oil surprisingly healthy?

That’s very interesting, and a great share.
A person with an already low LDL got a decrease in LDL-p by swapping calories for canola oil, that probably means apoB decreased. It’s super cheap and is very good health wise as well. What was replaced in calories was already PUFA rich walnuts and flax seeds too.

1 Like

Has anyone tried doing an n=1 experiment to test the impact of different fatty acids on lipids?

Seems like a straightforward experiment: eat a high-fat diet, relying on just one fat source (e.g. canola vs EVOO vs coconut) for 1 week. Then, do an advanced lipid test that measures LDL-P and Apo-B.

1 Like

Not sure about n of 1 but canola oil has already outperformed olive oil in many RCTs (here is a meta-analysis: Comparison of canola oil and olive oil consumption on the serum lipid profile in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed) in terms of total and LDL-c cholesterol. Probably just due to lower saturated fat content and maybe slightly due to better omega 3:6 ratio. Coconut oil would be dead last as the saturated fat content is way higher than the other two.

I don’t eat oil myself but olive oil is probably the most over-hyped oil in existence followed by coconut oil. Not bad for you in moderate amounts but also not some secret diet hack. Bryan Johnson’s obsession with olive oil slightly baffles me although he is selling it so maybe that’s why.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! Very interesting.

Are you aware of any good RCTs that evaluated LDL-P and especially Apo-B. As I understand, they correlate with LDL but not perfectly.

Ah gotcha, sorry evaluating LDL-p isn’t commonly done so don’t know about any RCTs on it. Non HDL has a 93-95% ish correlation with Apo-B so pretty good substitute generally but not exact. Having had a decent search here and on reddit not aware of any personal experiments comparing specifically LDL-p with those 3 oils. Sorry

I don’t eat a high fat diet, but if I do eat a diet with the same foods for awhile I could try swapping out early harvest EVOO (higher polyphenol content) with canola oil and see the difference in apoB. The expectation is that apoB will go down.

I am going to try to eat only canola oil for my oil, and not use EVOO. The reason is because Canola oil is healthier than olive oil. There is no good reason to choose EVOO over canola oil. Polyphenols is a scam. You can get more polyphenols from other foods.

No, EVOO is not a scam.

While there is nothing wrong with canola oil, there is no evidence that it is superior or healthier than EVOO. You provide no studies or citations. Show any studies that show that canola oil is healthier for the heart and all-cause mortality. The studies that show the benefits of olive oil are almost endless.

Cold-pressed EVOO retains most polyphenols and phenolics. The cold press is necessary because refining removes most polyphenols from olive and other vegetable oils.

“Extra virgin olive oil clearly contains the highest levels of polyphenols among oils.”

Bottom line: EVOO is better because of the refining process involved with other oils.

“While canola oil contains minor amounts of polyphenols, it is not a significant dietary source.
To get higher polyphenol intake, emphasize other plant foods like olive oil, berries, nuts, and herbs.”

“Canola oil contains small amounts of polyphenols, mainly sinapic acid and sinapine.
The polyphenol content is much lower compared to olive oil and other plant foods.
One tablespoon of canola oil contains around 8-10 mg of polyphenols.”

“Polyphenols have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in the body.
They may help reduce risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.”

“Olive oil is high in polyphenols, which are responsible for its bitter flavor.
It contains phenolic acids like hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol, and lignans like pinoresinol, hydroxypinoresinol and acetoxypinoresinol.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) contains over 20 different polyphenols, including hydroxytyrosol, oleocanthal, oleuropein, and luteolin.”
Most other cooking oils like canola, vegetable, corn, and soybean oil contain minimal polyphenols.(mainly because they are highly processed.)
Some oils like sesame, peanut, and rice bran oil may contain small amounts of polyphenols.
Coconut oil contains very few polyphenols.
Flaxseed oil is moderately high in polyphenols compared to other oils, but much less than olive oil.

Olive oil is also rich in phenolic compounds.
“The main phenolic compounds in olive oil are tyrosol,
hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein, were found responsible for reported
health benefits”

Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil the Critical Ingredient Driving the Health Benefits of a Mediterranean Diet? A Narrative Review

Polyphenol rich olive oils improve lipoprotein particle atherogenic ratios and subclasses profile: A randomized, crossover, controlled trial

A comprehensive review on different classes of polyphenolic compounds present in edible oils

Health benefits of polyphenols: A concise review

Identification of the 100 richest dietary sources of polyphenols: An application of the Phenol-Explorer database
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47661728_Identification_of_the_100_richest_dietary_sources_of_polyphenols_An_application_of_the_Phenol-Explorer_database

Extra citations: Copy and paste any of these titles into Google search to view the citations.

Consumption of Olive Oil and Risk of Total and Cause-Specific Mortality Among U.S. Adults. (Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2022)
Olive oil consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality: A meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. (Frontiers in nutrition, 2022)
Effect of olive oil consumption on cardiovascular disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, and all-cause mortality: A systematic review and meta-analysis. (Clinical nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland), 2022)
Olive oil intake and risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality in the PREDIMED Study. (BMC medicine, 2014)
Olive Oil Consumption and Cardiovascular Risk in U.S. Adults. (Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2020)
The role of olive oil in disease prevention: a focus on the recent epidemiological evidence from cohort studies and dietary intervention trials. (The British journal of nutrition, 2015)

4 Likes

It has already been posted in this thread, a meta-analysis of clinical trials comparing canola with olive oil. Canola is simply better. It is lower in saturated fats and higher in polyunsaturated fats.

It is a scam because one (1 single puny) olive with no sodium added has more polyphenols than 2 tablespoons of high polyphenol EVOO.

You’re basing your conclusion on an effing Reddit post?
You are always criticizing others, ala “Show me the money.”
Show me the proof that refined canola oil, also known as the canola oil that you buy at the grocery store has any polyphenols left in it. Read the references the Reddit post cites, a food recipe site opinion. Most of his references favor EVOO.

Show me ONE study that shows that canola oil is better at reducing heart disease and all-cause mortality than EVOO.

4 Likes

I checked the calculations and sources and they were solid. You can find the source for the calculation on olives here… I never said canola has polyphenols, I said it is a scam because you can get it from olives in a much smaller caloric amount. Read again what I said.

https://ift.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02599.x

Okay, I will repost the study showing that canola oil is better than olive oil…

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398.2022.2100314

Here’s the ultra high polyphenol oil.

10 olives, no sodium added.
2 tbsp canola oil.

This oil has an order of magnitude higher polyphenol content than high polyphenol EVOO at 2 tbsp. It is also healthier since it improves lipids better. If you only want it to be twice as good, just go for two olives.

No, the main thread of your remarks is that somehow canola oil is superior to EVOO.
Are there some things about canola oil that are better? Price for one.

The highly respected source you are citing is the Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

“results of this review suggest”

From the main article:

Results of this study showed that CO consumption significantly reduced TC (−7.24 mg/dl, 95% CI, −12.1 to −2.7), and LDL (−6.4 mg/dl, 95% CI, −10.8 to −2), although it had no effects on HDL, TG, Apo B, and Apo A1

“CO consumption could decrease serum TC and LDL, although it had no effects on other blood lipids.”
Go to the top of the article you cite and click on citations.
Not a very compelling group of studies. There does seem like a lot of circular arguments going on

2 Likes

It is consistent with other evidence that PUFA reduces apoB more than MUFA when replacing SFA. Canola oil is lower in SFA and higher in PUFA. Which means SFA and MUFA is replaced with PUFA, hence lower apoB.

https://iris.who.int/handle/10665/246104

2 Likes

Outright poison.

Review the following;

I don’t consider the group to be a science-based organization, or trustworthy in any way.

The foundation has been criticized for spreading medical misinformation and dangerous health advice.[3]The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned about its advocacy of drinking raw milk[4] and various nutritionists, including Joel Fuhrman, were concerned about its advocacy of the health benefits of animal-based fats.

I thought it was a fun little article, written 21 years ago yet she got several things right. I started looking it up last week to see what they had to say about erucic acid these days and they are saying it’s ok. The whole thing (about it being poison) was just a fad. Rapeseed is even ok. So I’m thinking maybe Canola is ok.

I know it is an unnatural, frankenstein crop. Rapeseed without erucic acid, split genetically. I don’t understand what they did, but I know most of it is GMO (roundup ready) these days. And heavily processed, unless it states otherwise. Extracted with chemicals.

I’m not saying it’s bad. I’m saying the article was surprising to me considering the source. I wouldn’t use Canola but what do I know.

I totally agree. ApoB and oxidation are both improved by EVOO over canola.

I hadn’t realised how many threads on canola oil there are! All pushed by the same person.

@admin could we consolidate them into one thread so its easier to debunk any scientific misclaims?

3 Likes

There are also potentially toxic chemical contaminants formed when refined oils are deodorized, such as 3-MCPD (3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol).2523
Regular olive oil has up to twenty-five times the 3-MCPD levels as extra-virgin olive oil.2524 In fact, that’s how you can discriminate among the various processing grades of olive oil. If a bottle of oil is labeled as “extra-virgin olive oil” but it contains a lot of 3-MCPD, then it must have been diluted with some refined olive oil

One famous Mediterranean diet trial that has stood the test of time is the Lyon Diet Heart Study.2536 About six hundred individuals who had each already had a heart attack were randomized into two groups. The control group received no dietary advice, apart from whatever their doctors had told them, while the experimental group was instructed to eat more of a Mediterranean-type diet, supplemented with a canola oil–based spread that would give them the plant-based omega-3s they would have normally gotten from foods like walnuts if they had actually lived on a Greek isle in the 1950s.2537 Canola oil also lowers LDL cholesterol better than olive oil does,2538 and, unlike olive oil, canola has been shown not to acutely impair artery function.2539

1 Like

Hi, do you have a full text link to the Lyon study please. I can’t see how it supports canola oil over EVOO.
The study intervention was to: “more bread, more root vegetables and green vegetables, more fish, fruit at least once daily, less red meat (replaced with poultry),” in addition to olive oil and canola margarine.

It seems like the intervention group had a higher fibre, lower PUFA consumption.