“Do not age” Sirt6 Activator

I was wondering what the views are on the Sirt6 Activator from Do Not Age. It is expensive, but Sirtuin 6 promotes DNA repair, protects telomeres, supports genomic stability and reduces inflammation. Any views please?

1 Like

Active ingredient is Focus vesiculosus.

When added to skincare products Fucus Vesiculosus extract reduces wrinkle depth, corrects small imperfections, and improves skin texture . Its mechanism of action has not been fully studied yet, but scientists believe that Fucus vesiculosus extract blocks certain enzymes that cause skin damage.

Fucus vesiculosus, known by the common names bladderwrack, black tang, rockweed, sea grapes, bladder fucus, sea oak, cut weed, dyers fucus, red fucus and rock wrack, is a seaweed found on the coasts of the North Sea, the western Baltic Sea and the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Wikipedia[

2 Likes

Fucoidan (from Fucus vesiculosus) appears to actually be an HDAC inhibitor.

As people know I think HDAC inhibitors are good things. I think they cause a greater expression of HDAC whilst reducing the HDAC effects (as the body creates more of them because they are not functioning at normal levels.) The SIRT genes are HDAC Class III.

Hence describing it as an SIRT6 activator is probably not the case.

Bladderwrack Alcohol-Free Liquid Extract, Bladderwrack (Fucus Vesiculosus) Glycerite Hawaii Pharm Natural Herbal Supplement 2 oz Amazon.com

Will try to add it to my creams.

1 Like

Thanks for the insights Lara and John. Much appreciated!

I think sirt6 is one of the more promising anti aging targets.

1 Like

We had a related discussion here. IMO the research is too preliminary to spend that kind of money, though allegedly Gorbunova is running mouse lifespan studies as we speak.

The raw algae are cheap, but strongly flavored so it’s difficult to use large amounts as food. You can get extracts of unknown quality at reasonable prices.

1 Like

I bought bladderwrack supplements but discontinued usage when I found that the algae that it comes from has a high amount of heavy metals.

I would hope that DNA would remove any heavy metals but I am not sure.

2 Likes

Berries can be used. They are good sources of cyanidins.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-22388-5

Natural polyphenols as sirtuin 6 modulators

Purple corn is also a good supplement. Its anthocyanin content bests blueberries.

https://www.herbalgram.org/resources/herbalgram/issues/65/table-of-contents/article2779/

I mIx a teaspoon of purple corn powder with a half glass of pomegranate juice. I only take it three times a week, because of the sugar in pomegranate juice.

4 Likes

I think the timestamp is off in the show notes, but i think here is a discussion that maybe sirtuins aren’t a good human target

1 Like

I think Charles Brenner is right on the sirtuins. He tends to go overboard in support of his pet (patented) molecule NR, but there are arguments for NR. Charles, however, is overly negative about much of longevity science (apart from NAD boosting where IMO he is overly positive, but people like their pets).

The SIRtuins are HDAC Class III and a lot of HDAC inhibitors are pro longevity - go figure.

1 Like

6.8% lifespan extension. 19:25

1 Like

6.8% lifespan extension, would be statistically insignificant in science world? I think anything that has to do with Sirtuin activation would have very little or no meaning fun lifespan benefits, it is another NMN thingy. All these scientists are sponsored by supplement companies that are pushing these things for what it is worth.

2 Likes

Nir Barzilai, MD joins Israeli Sirt6 startup.

Longevity focused biotech SIRTLab emerges from stealth, aiming for first human trials of SIRT6-boosting therapeutic in 2024.

1 Like