Fucoidans (SIRT6 activators) from brown algae. Where to source?

Crude fucoidan content in two North Atlantic kelp species, Saccharina latissima and Laminaria digitata—seasonal variation and impact of environmental factors

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5705760/

Emerging Therapeutic Potential of SIRT6 Modulators

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.1c00601

coldwater brown algae has the most.

Some examples: Fucus distichus - Wikipedia

Laminaria digitata, Ascophyllum nodosum and Fucus vesiculosus. Fucoidan is a negatively charged and highly hygroscopic polysaccharide [9]. A high content of fucoidan is mainly found in the leaves of L. digitata, A. nodosum, Macrocystis pyrifera and F. vesiculosus

Another naturally occurring molecule showing SIRT6 activation is fucoidan (4), a heterogeneous sulfated polysaccharide present in brown algae. Its backbone consists of repeating (1 → 3) or (1 → 3) and (1 → 4) linked α-l-fucopyranose residues, in which some hydroxyl groups form sulfated esters (Figure ​Figure55, lower panel).123 The oversulfated fucoidan subtype extracted from Fucus vesiculosus displayed a 355-fold increase of SIRT6 activity at a 100 μg/mL concentration. In addition, when tested against other SIRTs (SIRT1/2/3), it did not display significant changes in activity, suggesting a specific action toward SIRT6. 4 was also able to activate SIRT6 acetylation toward H3K9 in vitro. According to the authors of the study, sulfate esters may play a central role in SIRT6–4 interaction and hence SIRT6 activation.123 However, the heterogeneity of the mixture, the polymeric nature of the compound, and the absence of kinetic data makes it difficult to compare this macromolecule to small molecules and to devise structure–activity relationships.

Fucoidan

Fucoidan is a polysaccharide which is naturally found in seaweeds and brown algae [88]. It has been reported to possess antioxidant, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, and immunomodulatory effects [88]. Fucoidans extracted from the Sargassum filipendula and Laminaria japonica has been shown to exhibit antioxidant activity greater than vitamin C [102,103,104]. A recent report mentioned that its antioxidant activity is attributed to higher scavenging of nitric oxide than the most widely used synthetic antioxidants, including butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) [88]. It was identified and isolated from Fucus distichus fungus and was investigated to determine its SIRT6 modulation activity and the results depicted a considerable increase in deacetylation activity of SIRT6 [58]. Researchers have reported that fucoidan showed SIRT6 specific action since it strongly enhanced SIRT6 deacetylation activity as compared with its SIRT1-SIRT3 isoforms deacetaylation activity. Furthermore, fucoidan-riched five microalgal extracts obtained from Fucus distichus**, Fucus vesiculous, Cytoseira tamariscofolia, Cytoseira nodacaulis, and Alaria esculenta showed significant amplification of SIRT6 activity [58]. Most importantly, it exhibited dose-dependent SIRT6 stimulating activity [58]. Fucoidan induced apoptosis in HepG2 liver cancer cells through the upregulation of p53 and p14, as well as the stimulation of caspases activity. It is noteworthy to mention that overexpression of SIRT6 is associated with the induction of apoptosis in cancer cells. Furthermore, gluconeogenesis was inhibited by fucoidan through the stimulation of SIRT6 by p53, which in turn led to an enhanced level of FoxO1 [89]. It has also been reported that fucoidan provides antidiabetic action by inhibiting α-amylase and α-glucosidase. Moreover, the antidiabetic property of fucoidan is attributed to activate the PI3K/PKB pathway, which regulates insulin production and stimulates GLUT4 translocation [91]. Implications of fucoidan have also been identified in healing inflammation via inhibition of NO production, downregulation of iNOS, COX-2, IL-1 β, TNF-α, NF- κB expression, and regulation of ERK, JNK, MAPK, and Akt pathways [88,90].

Kombu

Algae

Saccharina japonica is a marine species of the Phaeophyceae class, a type of kelp or seaweed, which is extensively cultivated on ropes between the seas of China, Japan and Korea. It has the common name sweet kelp. It is widely eaten in East Asia. Wikipedia

Horsetail Kelp (Laminaria digitata) | Gulf Of Maine, Inc. => this has the highest

2 Likes

Its available… but I don’t trust China as a source:

https://www.intotherainforest.com/brown-algae-powder

and Bulgaria is not much better:

Ah…

Perhaps this is the ticket:

These South Korean products look interesting, but buying food products off eBay seems sketchy:

1 Like

Wakame has high fucoidan content. There are Japanese sources.

You can also try alaria (marketed as North Atlantic wakame), or bladderwrack, which is sourced from Canada.

The expert, Vera Gorbunova points to fucus distichus (rockweed) as the source. Rockweed is also found in the North Atlantic.

Thanks. Fell off my radar. Saw a post about this last year from Eleanor Sheekey.

1 Like

Vera Gorbunova is indicated as an advisor on this for donotage.org here:

(Not trying to tout, I saw it at DoNotAge then searched here for info…)

2 Likes

ps Seems to come from Fucus Vesiculosus for this product…but they claim to test each harvest and many don’t work

I stand corrected. Posted in haste. Was referring to an article by Maria Hayes et al.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5484140/

They cited Gorbunova, among others, for the Sirt6 studies. It was Hayes and company who pointed to rockweed. I remember now, why I looked for another source of fucoidan. DoNotAge is pricey, for most products.

Superb and informative presentation.

7:17 Human DNA repair, 15% accuracy. Bowhead whale (211 year lifespan), 60% DNA repair accuracy.

So… other than the study where they upregulated the gene expression in genetically modified mice to over-express SIRT6, do we have any evidence at all that orally consumed Fucoidans actually increase lifespan in mice? Or even impact any healthspan metrics?

I realize that the genetically modified mice generated a lot of excitement, but that is a long way from proving that orally taken SIRT6 activators get to the right places at the right levels, so as to impact health or longevity.

Just playing the skeptic here…

4 Likes

I haven’t seen any. They have just developed their product.

Am jumping in, anyway. The Japanese have been eating seaweeds for centuries. If my self-experimentation does not pan out, there would still be benefits:

The Japanese have been able to reduce the systolic and diastolic pressure of hypertensive participants with 3 to 5 grams of wakame powder, daily.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jcbn1986/30/0/30_0_43/_pdf

It also helps with blood sugar control:

1 Like

Fair enough.

I’m always interested in the Cost/Benefit calculation on any new longevity product. Rapamycin - with hundreds of validation studies, and a cost of $1/mg is obviously at the top of the list (and thus the reason for this site) and for seaweed, I agree - relatively cheap and reasonably possible benefits.

But - If I was thinking of paying the $350+ for the DoNotAge supplement I would expect more data.

2 Likes

My reply to this is…

2 Likes

This is the biggest rip off in history of supplements, 1 US$ per pill of grounded up dried seaweed.
You can find the same thing from other suppliers such as Lifextention for a fraction of the price.
Lifextention has a track record that is superior to this backyard supplier, they have several own laboratories as well.

3 Likes

Interesting. This guy?

no idea if comp is apples to apples, but lifeextension pills each contain:
“88.5 mg Maritech® 926 Wild-Harvested Patagonian Wakame 100% Water Extraction (sporophyll) [std. to 85% Organic Fucoidan by HPLC]”

and DoNotAge says “Each capsule contains 400mg of SIRT6Activator”

But also note liefeextension recommends “Take one (1) capsule once or twice daily”, while DoNotAge says for weight 60-100kg = 1600mg per day, or 4 pills!

DoNotAge is 2x as expensive per pill, but might contain 4.7x stuff per pill, so lifeextension might be 2.35x more expensive per stuff, but on the other hand DoNotAge wants you to take 2 to 4 times the # of pills/day, so maybe DoNotAge is 1.7x more expensive after all?

So, dunno…

What does that mean?
You see, Lifextention has to label their products properly to comply with US retail law’s. DoNotAge is only selling online and not in the US, lucky for them they don’t need to be bothered with that. And nobody knows exactly what is inside the DoNotAge stuff. Last time I checked DoNotAge only have 3’rd party testing on 2 of their products. NMN and Resveratrol. Lifeextention, NOW foods and Doctors Best 3rd party tests almost all of their hundreds of products, And they give them freely to Consumer Lab when asked for in comparison tests. DoNotAge not so much.

What do you mean by might contain 4.7x stuff per pill? 1 pill contains 400mg of Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladder Wrack) 1 pill of 580mg of the same ingredient from Natures Way you can buy on iHerb for $0.1 per pill. ($10 per bottle of 100 pills)
DoNotAge and their “SIRT6” activator is the biggest scam made period!

1 Like

Funny you have 3 comments on this board, and you are discreetly showing pictures of DoNotAge product packaging etc. Facebook groups of different kinds in the longevity area is infiltrated with secret agents from DoNotAge with fake profiles, slipping in comments here and there on how happy they are with the superior DoNotAge products etc, even throwing out discount codes to use on the DoNotAge website. Hopefully @RapAdmin will not tolerate such parasites coming to this site.

Dude, I’m just here looking for information. I linked to DoNotAge because Vera Gorbunova was mentioned and the post was asking “Where to source?”.

And I also linked to lifeextension, which I was not aware of, so I thank you for bringing it to my attention, as well as your other color.

I’m just trying to figure this out.

I agree hopefully such parasites will not be tolerated, but I’m not sure why you imply I’m one when I linked to both products and my last comment was:
"maybe DoNotAge is 1.7x more expensive after all?

So, dunno…"

good point about DoNotAge not being in US, that hadn’t occurred to me.

1 Like

70%, of 600 mg, so 420 mg for two capsules. Doctor’s Best is the brand I buy, when I take fisetin.

Sea urchins also have lots of fucoidans as a consequence of all the brown algae they consume (in fact they are destroying brown algae forests with their overpopulation so there’s a case for eating them instead, if they weren’t so disgusting)

Some of them can also live centuries

1 Like