DIY Rapamycin skin cream

Transcutol is available in EU, I bought it from here: https://www.laboratoriumdiscounter.nl

You should have to ask if they deliver outside the Netherlands.

I’m sure there is a similar webshop in your country aswell.

4 Likes

whats the chemical name of it in that store…? didnt find it under T

Transcutol has a number of different chemical names/identifiers. Here is a list:

• 2-(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol: Ethoxydiglycol, 3,6-dioxa-1-octanol,
  • DEGEE, diethylene glycol monoethyl ether,
  • Carbitol,
  • Carbitol Cellosolve,
  • Transcutol,
  • Dioxitol,
  • Polysolv DE,
  • Dowanal DE

Chemical Identifier: CAS Number 111-90-0

4 Likes
3 Likes

We may want to add metformin to the skin cream. The most interesting study is the 4th study done on mice!

Would a 1-5% metformin concentration be reasonable for full-body application and a 10-30% concentration for spot treatment? Thoughts?

I have been using 10% metformin on my scalp for about two weeks now and nothing negative to note.

EDIT: A user by the name of Sylwia had actually posted the mice study back in March, just saw it when scrolling through the thread. But it’s still a good read though!

6 Likes

The metformin information is great. It might be interesting to try a “super skin rejuvenation” cream concoction with rapamycin, metformin and all the senolytic drugs also mixed in… Senolytics Topically Administered to Skin for Antiaging Effects

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mix everything together. Have you got enough information on that to be sure that they dont interact?

1 Like

I think we already know metformin and rapamycin are synergistic.

1 Like

I apologize for asking such an ignorant question. But I keep seeing that skin cells (or other cells as well?) can only rejuvenate roughly 50 times. Retinol A makes your skin better by forcing this to happen, but essentially using up a “video game life”. And there are things such as carnosine that can bump this up to 60 times (give you a few extra “video game lives”). So is Rapamycin adding video game lives to skin cells? — otherwise won’t it have the same issue as Retinol A? Or doing something else such as keeping one/each life around longer?

Also, how many times has a (say for example) 80 year old person used of the roughly 50 lives of skin cells? — is this a limit we reach regularly in our lifetime? Or is it a risk only for some of us who hope/plan to live to 200? And if we have reached our limit, does our skin suddenly age massively like in the ending scene from Indiana Jones when they open the Ark? (Actual honest question)

Again, sorry for the inane questions, but I’m trying to wrap my head around this. Thanks.

2 Likes

You are not the only one who has such questions. I always think about it when somebody mentions Retin A. It’s actually a reason why I don’t use Retin A. And I don’t think that by not using Retin A I put my skin in any disadvantage. My skin is still in a pretty good condition.

2 Likes

Yes - this is known as the hayflick limit. I also am not sure on exactly how this relates to Retin A and rapamycin (they seem to be counter to each other; Retin A increase cell cycles, Rapamycin slowing cell cycling), but it was discussed a fair amount in this thread: How to Reverse Skin Aging

6 Likes

New skin cells are made from stem cells, yes? Stem cells can extend their telomeres & so aren’t limited in their number of divisions (to a first approximation, almost everything in biology comes with exceptions)

5 Likes

Thanks for that, @RapAdmin , and for being so gentle with your response when you could have easily (and rightfully) just given me an “F” grade for reading comprehension skills.

I read that months ago but obviously didn’t assimilate it properly. I need to re-read it.

1 Like

Even if it is synergistic if you use it every other day, but what about drug interactions? We know nothing and I am not a labratory mouse so I won’t try a combined mixture on my skin.
I can only say: be aware of that. Drug interactions arent that easy.

Yes this seems to be the crux of the ongoing debate. Tretinoin increases turnover of differentiated cells like keratinocytes and corneocytes, which are made by stem cells in the basal layer. Stem cells are undifferentiated and thus shouldn’t be subject to Hayflick.

The debate itself seems to be limited to forums. I haven’t found a review paper or any other journal articles that mentions stem cell depletion or damage as an issue with tretinoin. One would think that given how long tretinoin has been around, there would be studies investigating possible stem cell depletion. At a minimum, you’d expect anecdotal cases of long term users turning into the crypt keeper if this was truly an issue. Has anyone seen this?

Turnover time that talks about keratinocytes:

Epidermal 'turnover time'--a new examination - PubMed.

Discussion of mechanism of action:

Skin stem cells

Review article:

40 Years of Topical Tretinoin Use in Review - JDDonline - Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.

6 Likes

I’m about to make sirolimus skin cream and I’m wondering if anyone has used a sunscreen as the cream base? I need sunscreen anyway, so this would be convenient. My quandary is concerning how the ingredients in sunscreen (probably zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) would promote or inhibit sirolimus. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

That is an interesting idea since you need to use sunscreen with these skin creams (not certain about rapamycin, but definitely the case with OneSkin and retinol). My only issue is that I generally use it at night!

I haven’t heard of anyone using sunscreen as a base, but it seems like a really good idea. Definitely worth a try.

2 Likes

Or better yet just get your skin treated by these folks. $500 a month seems a little expensive but I guess we only have one skin.

https://www.lushical.com/levels

“Includes the Standard Dosing of Rapamycin and eventually Standard Dosing of Tretinoin with Fluocinolone”

It’s an interesting idea to combine rapamycin cream with tretinoin. Will definitely try.