DIY Rapamycin skin cream

Hi Agetron, I’m looking into trying your solution and noticed that the Equate Minoxidil bottles are 2 fl oz, yet you mention adding 3 fl oz to the DMSO mixture. Are you actually using 1.5 bottles (for 3 oz) or only 1 bottle (2 oz)?

Also, how critical do you think the finasteride is? I mainly ask because at the moment it’s the only component that I do not have have any and would need to order it from India. Do you think it would work without?

I tried the Rivertown Minoxidil/Cyclosporine/Tacrolimus for a few months and haven’t seen any meaningful results. It also makes me feel horrible after using it, including drowsiness/tiredness/eye blurriness, so your concoction seems like the next thing to try, especially with the good results it’s produced.

3 Likes

Correct - I use one and half bottles - they come in packages of 3 – Equate Minoxidil 5% at WalMart seems the cheapest. That comes to 3 fluid ounces in all.

As to the finasteride, I think there is a lot going on that if you skip the finasteride - I think you are fine.

Make sure you get the orderless DMSO and only use to fill in about 20 - 25% for the overall solution. Which would be about 1 fluid ounce or a bit less.

Note - on the resveratrol and Green tea - EGCG, adding those will tint the grey out of your hair. Less resveratrol less rust colored tint.

3 Likes

I will add that I am also orally taking Minoxidil 2 pills 2.5 mg… so 5 mg at bed time.

.com – 18 Aug 22

An Old Medicine Grows New Hair for Pennies a Day, Doctors Say

Dermatologists who specialize in hair loss say that the key ingredient in a topical treatment worked even better when taken orally at a low dose.Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/health/minoxidil-hair-loss-pills.html

More on Oral Monoxidil success.
Link: Efficacy and Safety of Oral Minoxidil 5 mg Once Daily in the Treatment of Male Patients with Androgenetic Alopecia: An Open-Label and Global Photographic Assessment - PMC

There are videos that say you take the Walmart Equate topical minoxidil - use the eye dropper as oral sublingual – a few drops (under the tongue) if you don’t want to get a prescription. I tried it for a few weeks with no issues. Then, I got a prescription.

6 Likes

Do you get any side effects with oral minox?

1 Like

None at all… the ankle edema I had… appears to be from my high rapamycin doses… 36 - 38 ng/mL. Once my dose reduced after 7 months… the edema went away completely.

That said some people (a few in the study) get ankle edema for a few months… then it goes away.
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/health/minoxidil-hair-loss-pills.html
A new NY Times article on the topic of hair:

(as a side note, minoxidil tablets are available from many of the companies on the list of reliable online pharmacies, for very little money - i.e. $1 for a strip of 10 tablets of 5mg, which would need to be broken up to deliver the much lower dose used in the study). The doctor is quoted as now giving patients “effective doses of one-fortieth of a pill and began routinely prescribing the drug. That first patient still takes it.”

But there is a cheap treatment, he and other dermatologists say, costing pennies a day, that restores hair in many patients. It is minoxidil, an old and well-known hair-loss treatment drug used in a very different way. Rather than being applied directly to the scalp, it is being prescribed in very low-dose pills.

Although a growing group of dermatologists is offering low-dose minoxidil pills, the treatment remains relatively unknown to most patients and many doctors. It has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for this purpose and so is prescribed off-label — a common practice in dermatology.

At a meeting in Miami in 2015, Dr. Sinclair reported that low doses of minoxidil prompted hair growth in 100 successive women.

He published those results in 2017, noting that rigorous studies were needed, in which some patients would be randomly assigned to take minoxidil and others a sugar pill. But that has not happened. He says he has now treated more than 10,000 patients.

Recently, a rising number of hair-loss dermatologists have been giving the low-dose pills to patients with male and female pattern hair loss, a normal occurrence with age.

nytimes.com – 18 Aug 22

An Old Medicine Grows New Hair for Pennies a Day, Doctors Say

Dermatologists who specialize in hair loss say that the key ingredient in a topical treatment worked even better when taken orally at a low dose.

The research papers that have been published on this is below:

Background

Minoxidil and spironolactone are oral antihypertensives known to stimulate hair growth.

Objective

To report on a case series of women with pattern hair loss (PHL) treated with once daily minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Methods

Women newly diagnosed with a Sinclair stage 2–5 PHL were scored for hair shedding and hair density before and after 12 months of treatment with oral minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Results

A total of 100 women were included in this observational pilot study. Mean age was 48.44 years (range 18–80). Mean hair loss severity at baseline was Sinclair 2.79 (range 2–5). Mean hair shedding score at baseline was 4.82. Mean duration of diagnosis was 6.5 years (range 0.5–30). Mean reduction in hair loss severity score was 0.85 at 6 months and 1.3 at 12 months. Mean reduction in hair shedding score was 2.3 at 6 months and 2.6 at 12 months. Mean change in blood pressure was −4.52 mmHg systolic and −6.48 mmHg diastolic. Side effects were seen in eight women but were generally mild. No patients developed hyperkalemia or any other blood test abnormality. Six of these women continued treatment, and two women who developed urticaria discontinued treatment.

Female pattern hair loss: a pilot study investigating combination therapy with low-dose oral minoxidil and spironolactone

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ijd.13838

Conclusion

Oral minoxidil was found to be an effective and well-tolerated treatment alternative for healthy patients having difficulty with topical formulations.

Blood pressure - systolic a bit lower too about 10 points from 137 to 127… A good thing.

6 Likes

Any thoughts on using Rapacan versus Zydus for skin cream?

The lab reports (posted in another thread) seem to show that Zydus is more pure, but I can get Rapacan for $0.65 / mg versus $1 for Zydus.

1 Like

I use Rapacan because they seem to grind up easier in my mortar.

4 Likes

I don’t think it matters much - I would go for the cheaper one for topical applications. You’re just dissolving it and the differences seen in the lab results are pretty minimal compared to the price difference. Also - topical doesn’t absorb into the blood stream.

2 Likes

I wasn’t concerned about absorbsion in the blood stream, but I was concerned about putting “crap” on my face :smile:

2 Likes

Hello All,
They scammed me out of almost $250 of bitcoin. I placed an order for 2 products in February 2023, no response to any correspondence and did not receive any product. BEWARE ALL, RAPAMYCIN.STORE AKA RAPAMYCIN BUYERS GROUP IS A SCAM!! DO NOT USE THEM!! I hope that this post saves others from being scammed.

4 Likes

mruffaner13, Thanks for reporting this. I’m sure it was a bad experience for you, but you’ve done a great service by telling us. I will avoid this company.

I’m always wary of sending money to a company by way of a money transfer company, especially if it is a foreign company. And, with Bitcoin which I have used, it doesn’t matter where the company is located there doesn’t seem to be any recourse for recovering those funds. Once they go off to that cryptic Bitcoin address in the cloud the recipient is in full control to keep the money penalty free if they so choose.

I wonder … do we have a topic for avoiding scams such as “Avoid These Scams” where all problems related to money transfer purchase scams can be placed (in one location) so as to black-list the dishonest companies and help rapamycin.news members avoid them?

2 Likes

Only use websites which others have been successful with.
Since no one has used that website I suggest @RapAdmin remove the link to not give them more search ranking.

4 Likes

I believe there is an “avoid these websites” thread.

1 Like

We’ve never had that store in our list of reliable online pharmacies that people have recommended. I’m not sure why people use random websites that nobody has used successfully before instead of the ones people have been successful with. Buy Rapamycin Online - List of Reliable Pharmacies

3 Likes

I realize that it’s an “old” discussion, but I just came across your post about using transcutol and water to make Rapa lotion. Rapa is not soluble in water as we know and water doesn’t penetrate skin. So what’s the purpose of using water?

I also make rapamycin lotion that I either use alone on some spots or as a base for my creams, but instead of water I use “na-pca natural moisturizing factor in human skin” by Twinlab ($10/8 fl oz). It mixes exceptionally well with Rapa/transcutol and is completely and immediately absorbed by skin. This mixture (Rapa/transcutol/na-pca) also mixes well with any cream.

3 Likes

Because ~30% is the maximum amount that any commercial cosmetic company uses. 100% Transcutol is a little unpleasant for me. Transcutol mixes well with water just as alcohol does. I just happen to like the mixture as I like a fine spray bottle to apply. It also allows me to add some water-soluble ingredients such as metformin.
'Metformin hydrochloride is freely soluble in water and is practically insoluble in acetone, ether, and chloroform." and probably Transcutol.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Transcutol :grin:

1 Like

If you add water soluble ingredients it makes perfect sense. I also use the mixture as a spray. I like that it gets immediately absorbed by skin due to na-pca moisturizing factor.

One of the things about na-pca is it immediately makes the skin look better. I am not sure it has any lasting effect though.

1 Like

Hmm i only see DMSO available here in europe, think im gonna give it a try before i start importing Transcutol etc

2 Likes

@desertshores How often do you apply the spray on your face? and how long did it take for you to notice improvements?