Deprenyl - Anti-Aging Drug Proven Effective in Dogs

that is the usual case experience nothing at all but just because one did or did not experience anything out of ordinary does not mean it is or is not doing one any good

i did not know that it was suggested by inventor of selegiline itself. if so that may add a little bit of credance to the issue but just because he was brilliant in inventing the selegiline does not necessarily means he was correct about this issue. Einstein was even wrong about the universal gravitational constant vs expanding universe and the implications of quantum theory. Anyway its such a trite issue not worth pursuing but i would still think instead of going to the extremes of cutting 5mg pill into 5 pieces just take it every few days. i cannot believe anyone could be harmed or appreciably affected by a 5mg dose of selegiline. so what did he think about that if any.

Deprenyl is MAO-B, not - A inhibitor and OK with cheese.

Rasagiline (Azilect) is another irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase-B used for Parkinson’s disease. A trial is about to start in China to see whether 1 mg/day can prevent (or at least slow down) the progression from “pre-Parkinson’s” (prodromal phase with idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder / RBD) to confirmed Parkinson’s.

I thought so, too. But I did. You’ll be surprised at what you can do (or not do) when you are sufficiently motivated.

For an iffy benefit achievable with other supplements? I’ll stick to aged cheddar.

Quoting my post above:

Looking at the numbers on the table, stats fail to convince that Deprenyl is life prolonging.

Average age of the top eight dead placebo dogs is 5722 days. Average age of Deprenyl surviving dogs is 5120.69 days. Can those surviving dogs live another 601 days?

Average age of all dead placebo dogs is 5443 days. That is still 322 days older than the surviving Deprenyl dogs (5121). That is almost a year longer.

Longest lived dead placebo dog lived 6021 days. Longest lived deprenyl dog, dead or survived (it survived) is 5772 days. Can it live another 250 days? Maybe, maybe not.

Table is on the fifth page of RapAdmin’s link to the full text.

Aged cheddar also has spermidine. Unproven benefit as well, but delicious.

1 Like

Dietary restrictions aren’t necessary on 1mg doses

1 Like

On combining deprenyl/selegiline and SSRIs:

A search identified 8 studies evaluating the potential interaction between SSRIs and the MAO-B inhibitors selegiline and rasagiline. The largest, a retrospective cohort study of 1504 patients with Parkinson disease, found no cases of serotonin syndrome with coadministration of rasagiline and an SSRI. A survey of 63 investigators in the Parkinson Study Group identified 11 potential cases of serotonin syndrome among 4568 patients treated with the combination of selegiline and antidepressants (including SSRIs). In addition, 17 case reports describing the onset of serotonin syndrome with coadministration of an SSRI and either selegiline or rasagiline were identified. Following discontinuation or dose reduction of one or both of the agents, the symptoms of serotonin syndrome gradually resolved in most cases, with none being fatal.

Conclusions otential interaction between SSRIs and the MAO-B inhibitors selegiline and rasagiline. The largest, a retrospective cohort study of 1504 patients with Parkinson disease, found no cases of serotonin syndrome with coadministration of rasagiline and an SSRI. A survey of 63 investigators in the Parkinson Study Group identified 11 potential cases of serotonin syndrome among 4568 patients treated with the combination of selegiline and antidepressants (including SSRIs). In addition, 17 case reports otential interaction between SSRIs and the MAO-B inhibitors selegiline and rasagiline. The largest, a retrospective cohort study of 1504 patients with Parkinson disease, found no cases of serotonin syndrome with coadministration of rasagiline and an SSRI. A survey of 63 investigators in the Parkinson Study Group identified 11 potential cases of serotonin syndrome among 4568 patients treated with the combination of selegiline and antidepressants (including SSRIs). In addition, 17 case reports describing the onset of serotonin syndrome with coadministration of an SSRI and either selegiline or rasagiline were identified. Following discontinuation or dose reduction of one or both of the agents, the symptoms of serotonin syndrome gradually resolved in most cases, with none being fatal onset of serotonin syndrome with serotonin syndrome occurs rarely, and the combination of SSRI and MAO-B inhibitor is well tolerated. Therefore, SSRIs and MAO-B inhibitors can be coadministered, provided that their recommended doses are not exceeded and the SSRI dose is kept at the lower end of the therapeutic range. Among the SSRIs, citalopram and sertraline may be preferred

3 Likes