Dietary Inflammation Tied to Muscle Aging

Wait…Levine Phenoage is suppose to be a leading epigenetic aging clock (used by a lot of members it appears), implicitly associated with aging rate, and thus all cause mortality? It boasts the use of only a single overt inflammation marker…CRP.

“Irvin et al. (15) found that ‘extrinsic AgeAccel’, related to the first generation Hannum epigenetic age measure (16), was associated with interleukin-6 (IL-6), CRP and tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), albeit with modest effect sizes”

And yet, inflammation is an independent predictor, no surprise here.

Clearly, these “clocks” might be associated with “some” biological aging rate…but predicting your true intrinsic aging rate and all cause mortality, I’d say less so.

So, overlay a deeper set of inflammation markers in your longevity tracking stack?

In my last lab panel, I ordered TNalpha and IL-6, in addition to CRP.

Association between inflammatory biomarkers and all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer-related
mortality

Conclusion

We found no evidence that AGP is a stronger prognostic marker of mortality than the widely used inflammatory markers IL-6 and CRP. As in previous studies, elevated AGP was associated with 5-year mortality. However, even with this length of follow-up, it did not do
better than IL-6 in predicting mortality. Our analyses of all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer-related mortality suggest that IL-6 may be a better prognostic marker for all of these outcomes, in both the short and the LONG term.

3 Likes

Your own screenshot chart indicates to me that I will be sticking with just the CRP marker
At Quest, the IL6 test is three times the cost, but it does not appear to be a three times better marker than CRP.
I am I wrong in interpreting your chart?

Below are articles with a contrary conclusion.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-18065-3

3 Likes

Huh. Thanks for these. The first is from a supplement company, but the second is enough to make me shift to “confused” as a view on curcumin and testosterone.

1 Like

interesting convergence of Olive Oil and mTOR research:

2 Likes

Summary of some of CL’s evaluation of Olive Oil ( EVOO Consumerlab ):

1 Like

It’s not.

It is one of MANY ways to age, but you can massively increase glucocorticoid levels, which accelerate aging AND reduce inflammation (tho high GC doses also increase SOME cytokines)

1 Like

@rapAdmin, per CL, are all the EVOO’s mentioned in your post tested to be both “real” (as opposed to “fake”) and un-adulterated with other oils?

Could you pls share the details about the Hawaii pharm. want to try frankincense for my 90 yo mother.

1 Like

The frankincense comes from Hawaii Pharm brand and I order it from Amazon.

1 Like

Cost per polyphenol concentration is more appropriate than cost per tablespoon.
Super high polyphenol level might cost a lot but one doesn’t have to consume anywhere near as much to get the same benefit.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

So, eat more grapes?

Grapes are just little bags of sugar …

1 Like

A spoonful of sugar helps the polyphenols go down.

If the research show that grape polyphenols reduce inflammation and sarcopenia, that’s all the reason I need to eat these delicious little bags of sugar.

Especially when you coat them in water and freeze them. Nothing better on a hot summer day…

3 Likes

Yeh, I don’t know about the whole issue of the tradeoffs of the nutritional benefits of grapes, vs. the downside of the blood glucose spikes caused by the grapes. If you’re on metformin, SGLT2 inhibitors (cangliflozin) or perhaps acarbose, maybe the issue goes away … Its very hard to parse all the data, given the imperfect world of nutritional research studies.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be a test for "fake"ness. They tested for the key variables that define the quality. Haven’t read the full article, but I didn’t see any “fake” judgements.

Amphoranueva.com has a great selection of olive oils, and they list the chemistry for each one. Here’s their EVOO with a biophenol content of 970 PPM: https://amphoranueva.com/marin/product/organic-tunisian-chetoui/

And here’s a paper with a counterpoint to high polyphenolic content olive oils:
Olive oil with high polyphenolic content induces both beneficial and harmful alterations on rat redox status depending on the tissue.pdf (2.4 MB)

2 Likes