Bryan Johnson's Longevity Protocol - Your Thoughts?

I’m not sure. Would more autophagy be bad? Similar to if he could take more rapa without side effects. I’m just speculating. The source he is using is also labeled as a kind of super food with other benefits. This is the first I’ve seen it in someone’s stack.

I do also wonder about the glucosamine dose. Seems he is going for more is better there too. The standard is one of his doses afaik.

There are three different main types of autophagy, and rapamycin isn’t thought to be the best autophagy promoter from what I’ve read. Plus there may be different tissue specificity of different autophagy promoters I think.

4 Likes

Thanks for this post for the goals and todos by this over achiever.

#1 I’ll have to reduce the number of pills I take. :slight_smile: (true)

Nice that I can see what his $$$$ has found to be essential and I can work on tossing what is not on his list. Scanning I see I’m taking almost all he his. Not the excersize though. :slight_smile:

I’m not taking acarbose, I stopped vit C (to drop oxalic acid intake), no l-tyrocine, hes taking alot of cocoa/chocolate. I eat chocolate, but hes taking in alot of oxalics. I’m not taking glucosamine.

Much to study here. Thank you and thanks to all. Curt

2 Likes

re my use of; GFJ + the other (forget the enzyme inhibited) ALA + berberine + perperine, and 10-20mg rapa.

What is not apart of the protocol discussion is the state / form of the rapa pills. Are they enteric, powder, soft pills? What is the rapa doing in the stomach? I don’t have data but I suspect the form of rapa taken post the GFJ + other stuff is affecting the blood levels.

Given my sources of rapa are varied, some chinese powder, 2 forms of indian pills, I felt forced to do MANY experiements with post blood testing. I had many failures with very low blood levels till i read here (thanks all) for all the stuff to take WITH GFJ, wait 2 hours, draw blood within an hour of taking the rapa… Whew. Finally I started getting decent blood levels; >20ng/ml (?? the metrics).

I would wish that folks posting protocols would blood test and post the blood levels AND detailed description of the form, vendor, of the rapa taken. Its just $99 to blood test via labcorp. You contact lef.org via phone and ask to buy the serolimus blood test.

2 Likes

My thoughts? It’s bad.

4 Likes

I just watched Richard Miller interview, he mentioned 6 promising drugs that showed lifespan extension in ITP

The 4 winning drugs:

1. Rapamycin
  2. Acarbose
  3. 17-alpha estradiol
  4. Canagliflozin

And the other 2 drugs:

1. Meclizine
  2. Astaxanthin

Contrary to Brian Johnson’s complex Longevity Protocol, I think focusing on these 6 drugs is more promising. Things like fish oil, green tea, NR, fisetin, curcumin… all were popular before, but when ITP tested them, they all couldn’t increase lifespan. Mixing bunches of supplements which didn’t increase lifespan would not be the top priority, if we truly want to extend lifespan.

Of these 6 promising drugs, Astaxanthin and 17-alpha estradiol looks like having the most tolerable side effects.

But 17-alpha estradiol is too expensive and there is no oral drug on the market. Astaxanthin is also very expensive, it’s estimated $4,500 per month to get the 3.5 grams to get the similar effect in ITP, however synthetic Astaxanthin is much cheaper Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

5 Likes

It looks like he doesn’t eat any or enough meat. I didn’t see any mention of meat in the posts in this thread.

2 Likes

I think apart from Collagen he is vegan.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Fine exercises, but seem like way too much. Those 20 exercises must take 60-90 minutes per day, and they are intense. What’s the advantage over doing those 2 times per week along with a walking or running routine? Big-enough muscles are helpful, but body-builders don’t live longer.

1 Like

Exercise is a U-shaped curve. Too little or too much is bad. Mr. Johnson is trying to find the peak amount of exercise that is beneficial. Honestly, it looks good to me.

3 Likes

Its amazing what money can buy you. Plus its not like he’s 60/65 and looking 30/35. Also didn’t see any Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate Monohydrate in his massive list of supplements. He does take a lot of Metformin. I just started on it at age 75 and my recommended dose is 1000 MG a day.

3 Likes

I also started Metformin recently, but take it only when I take Rapa (my schedule for Rapa is different from what most have - I take 1mg/day for 4 days, then break for 12-13 days). My BG has been down for 2 months - from 99 before Metformin to 92. And my non-fasting glucose was 97.

4 Likes

Pro Bodybuilders almost always are on something. Not talking about hobbyists.

1 Like

yes - not sure he’s ever going to be 18 again, but he’s moving in the right direction at least.

And its probably a better deal (investment wise, in ROI (Return on Investment) terms) and long term health than many things he could spend the money on.

2 Likes

I thought these were interesting…

I think this device is what they discuss in the first paragraphs of the article:

And, Press coverage on Bryan Johnson’s efforts:

The View:

and Bloomberg

In many ways this is the range of responses you would expect. Personally I don’t think anyone is in favour of sarcopenia, osteoporosis, diabetes and alzheimers.

3 Likes

A critical analysis of Blueprint

7 Likes

Does anyone know what this device is… I think its some kind of cardiac monitoring device - but can’t seem to find it online. I’m just curious about what it is and what it does (from the Bloomberg video above):

2 Likes

It looks like a 3 lead ECG to me.