Anti-aging Benefits of Rapamycin, Personal Experiences (part 2)

The only pathway I can think of is rapamycin somehow lowering your testosterone which also lead to less 5ar activity in your prostate, resulting in your prostate shrinking.

This looks interesting

7 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Rapamycin and Fibrosis Risk?

This is great information for us with BPH

2 Likes

The linked study says that Rapamycin stops the progression of BPH but doesn’t shrink the prostate. From other threads here I thought that Rapamycin doesn’t decrease testosterone levels. However there were reports that Rapamycin reduced the need to get up and pee during the night (in men). Should prostate enlargement be include as a biomarker of aging? (50-80% of men over 50)

2 Likes

Just to add to the conversation. I have been taking 5 mg finasteride since I was 32. So that’s going on 34 years, and I don’t have any side effects from that 1 pill… almost daily, sometimes I’ll skip a day. Bottom line, my prostate, according to my urologist, is the size of somebody in their twenties.

Truth be told, I started the finasteride because of the abilities to maintain my hair follicles. Which also is pretty good at age sixty-five plus.

His attitude…it’s working stay the course… he keeps me on the prescription with tadalafil 5 mg daily… sexual health off the charts. No performance issues 24/7.

2 Likes

Anyone notice like a boost in dopamine/hyperactivity/verbual fluency 0.5-1.5h post dose?

I remember vaguely that Alan Green said that it made him adhd-like, but does anyone know why this happens?

1 Like

Nope. I get a hazy fatigue the day of the dose. Like right now. I just took 14 mg equivalent about an hour ago.

Everyone experiences Rapamycin differently. I view it as we all have different problems and Rapamycin allows our bodies to fix these problems in different yet similar ways. This can produce a wide range of side effects both good and bad.

3 Likes

Just reviewed this whole thread and was thinking about ways to measure these improvements. Recent comments about prostate and frequency of urination led me to ask, is PSA a good measure if you don’t have cancer? Is PSA a biomarker of aging? This says “Results: Serum PSA values correlated directly with age”
https://karger.com/eur/article-abstract/32/4/416/132585/The-Correlation-between-Prostate-Specific-Antigen?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Of course digging a little deeper led me to things I didn’t really want to look into. Like: “We do not recommend checking for prostate cancer at home because it carries risks such as underdiagnosis and injury to your rectum.”
https://www.medicinenet.com/how_do_you_check_for_prostate_cancer_at_home/article.htm
And the term “Prostate Milking” which I really didn’t want to know anything about.

3 Likes

The other thing that was mention several times was oral health and dental pockets. That apparently is measurable. See here:
https://www.deardoctor.com/articles/understanding-periodontal-pockets/
I’m particularly interested in before and after scores for rapamycin. So that we can really get a comprehensive picture of what it is doing. Looking down the chart at the start of this thread, it would seem that 1)Aches and Pains are hard to measure 2)Weight loss can be measured and scored-BMI, AnthropoAge, DEXA scan 3) Joint Health/Pain-hard to objectively measure with a score 4) More Energy and 5) Better Mood-also hard to score. 7)Athletic Endurance/Strength and 8) Better Sleep - are both now easy to score 9) Erections I’ll leave aside because I’m not Bryan Johnson but testosterone is easy to measure. Then we repeat and Arthritis and joint health are the same aren’t they?

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple of interesting things happen recently. I’m currently taking 6mg every eight days or so. Although I’ve taken a break this past two weeks as I had a weird virus for a few days on the day I would take my Rapa and my heart rate was elevated and I didn’t want to risk any negative effects.
I’ve had allergies since moving to LA for years. I recently had to have my turbinates reduced as they were obstructing my breathing. I went to see an allergist as I’ve been congested. I know that I’m allergic to grass, American elm and dog dander. But it’s been a few years since I was tested so I retested. Surprisingly, it came up completely negative. The allergist was a little stumped because I reacted to the histamine. Now I’m waiting for the blood test results. Granted, it could be something else, but I have a feeling the Rapa is contributing. The weird thing is that I’m still congested, but apparently, it’s not the allergies. I’m trying to get to bottom of it. The other thing is that my eyesight seems to be improving. I have to say that there’s not a huge change. I have presbyopia- a new thing for me- and I had forgotten my glasses on one occasion and was really surprised to see I could read and answer the texts on my phone. It was still a little blurry. I’m still a bit skeptical at the moment, not sure if I’m imagining it. It might be improved blood flow at that particular point in the day. I’m going to keep tracking and see if there’s any improvement.

7 Likes

Yeah fair enough, I shouldn’t have put it as a blanket statement but I have also had days where I dosed Rapamycin and went to bed at 7PM and woke up at 8AM. It even differs with myself.

1 Like

Yes, even as we come into Spring the third season of being on rapamycin, I have no allergies. They’re completely gone.

My sinuses are moist and fill full. I blow my nose a lot… mornings… after the shower… all day.

It’s more active with mucus, but it’s clear and draining, so maybe it’s a healthy sign.

4 Likes

Yeah. It’s a bit confounding. I had no reaction but I’m still congested. The allergist did say it could be pollution. But I would have thought it wouldn’t matter. But maybe our immune systems wouldn’t be able to deal with that either way.
I’m still a little skeptical and I’m aware that it’s easy to make connections that aren’t there. Like, I’m taking Rapamycin and now everything is cured. I know it doesn’t work that way. Gonna keep tracking things and see where it’s all at in a few months.

2 Likes

For me, the things that are cured were things that weren’t issues before age 50. Like swallowing-choking, seasonal allergies, varicose veins, crepey skin, dried out sinuses, visceral fat, no inflammation or arthritis… it fixes a lot.

Three years plus… aging seems stalled

5 Likes

Glad that you’re seeing that benefit. At this point I’m not really seeing much of anything that I can tell other than the two things I’ve mentioned and I’m not sure about either of them. Just out of interest, how long was it until you started seeing improvement and was it gradual or quick?

2 Likes

For me, the most prominent benefits are reduced dental pockets and the fact that the pain in one of my AC joints is gone. These observations correlate to my start with rapamycin. I hope that those improvements are related to rapamycin and that they are reflections of some kind of more widespread rejuvenation and not only localized improvements at those sites.

But even if my improved oral health would be the only effect caused by rapamycin, It would still be worth it. I really hope that periodontitis will be the first age related indication that older people can have rapamycin prescribed for.

6 Likes

To add another N of one anecdote. I had my dental cleaning last week and they spontaneously said my dental pockets were very good which was not the case a few years ago.

7 Likes

I’ve heard quite a few anecdotal reports on improved oral health. I haven’t noticed any difference up to now.

1 Like

Just out of interest, how long was it until you started seeing improvement and was it gradual or quick?

For me, it was very gradual initially, the first 3 months nothing it seemed. Then loss of adipose tissue and visceral fat was what was really significant in the first 3 to 6 months. Also, my constant choking on food stopped.

After that, everything just seemed to gradually pick up.

And it’s continued… showing improved memory… general euphoria, increased strength.

All those things were building everyday 3 months to where I’m at currently. It feels like i’m back at fifty completely… in thoughts, mood, verbally… my analysis and writing is better… feelings everything. Biological tests point to low… no inflammation… physicals and blood work…in top form. Feeling this great… I don’t have to live longer ( but I am sure I will)… already living better.

I would think across the board all users would have the same experiences. I am surprised when after a year some say…I feel no difference.

My benefits are also reflected in regular biological and blood testing (my younger age rate baffles the CEO’s of these tests… so it is not typical)… every 3-4 months. So there is more than a gut feeling. What are the things that might point to?

My improved changes being so significant is that I started at age 62 and already the health… and functional declines had started. But had not been entrenched very long. So maybe you notice it helps more when you’re deteriorating more.

7 Likes