Deadly Sugar - An older Book all should review

FWIW

If you have never read/listen to{an audiobook version] of
John S. Yudkin titled;

“Pure, White and Deadly: The new facts about the sugar you eat as a cause of disease, diabetes”

Original published in 1970"s

Updated in 1986

You should.

3 Likes

Old news indeed Joseph.

For a little weekend humor…

I wanted to buy a book on Rapamycin yesterday, but when I got to the store and read the name of the shop, I knew they didn’t have it.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I have looked into buying one of the original hardcopy versions of this book. The prices are simply astronomical, however. But it looks like I managed to get one for a good price this time.

This is actually the original version. I believe when they published in the UK, a few months later, they changed the name to Pure, White and Deadly. That is the title that has been used ever since. It’s hard to that version for under $500. This one is much cheaper and the original.

There is a semi famous youtube video by Robert Lustig, UCSF (UC San Francisco) on this topic also - probably more accessible:

4 Likes

I love that video. That is what started me on this path. He wrote the forward to the latest addition of Yudkin’s book. Pure, White is also available on audible. A lot of important stuff has been added since the 1972 version!

1 Like

The Internet Archive has Pure, White and Deadly available to borrow.

You can purchase an updated audio book version for $14.00.

It was updated by a medical doctor, Robert Lustig

Robert Lustig book titled:" Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine"

Is also a very good book to review

1 Like

Yes - another great book:

1 Like

metabolical is a great book. His 2 follow up videos to the first sugar video are great also.

I sure hope nobody here needs to read a book to figure that sugar is dangerous.

1 Like

I think I stopped eating sugar and ultra processed foods in 2020. So for me reading this book in 1972 would’ve been a pretty good thing.

this one published 2022 about detrimental effect of fructose IMO is much more up-to-date

md31108891605

3 Likes

Erythritol has recently been deemed to be deadly. I have to dump my recently bought 400 sachets of Truvia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02223-9

The artificial sweetener erythritol and cardiovascular event risk

Made the news tonight with David Muir.

1 Like

Yes, I have a small bag of this. Recently I started putting a teaspoon with my blue berries and cream. I guess that’s out.

1 Like

Pure stevia is so sweet that they normally use fillers to get a somewhat tsp-to-tsp equivalency.
You can buy pure stevia from someone like “Bulk Supplements” on Amazon. You can then put it in a salt shaker to avoid adding too much to your cereal, coffee, etc.
I have quite a bit of erythritol on the shelf and I didn’t use it because I was getting it in my stevia. I was not able to tolerate large doses of erythritol.
Sometimes today’s health food is tomorrow’s poison.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Will try it. Was avoiding pure stevia because of the aftertaste. Erythritol also has positive reviews from dentists, for oral health.

Was thinking of switching to xylitol, but decided to avoid all wood sugars. Went for stevia in the raw - stevia extract plus dextrose. Hopefully, there would be no negative news about dextrose.

1 Like

FWIW

Review trehalose

1 Like