Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

My glucose took an absolute nose dive down to 58 after I ate a big dinner (carrots w/hummus, fettuccini w/chicken and low fat popcorn) then got on my exercise bike:

I’m thinking the insulin surge from the meal combined with the insulin-independent glucose uptake from the exercise to cause the hypoglycemia. The sharp spike up was me panicking and eating 3 small tangerines and an extra-ripe banana😆.

Either way, looks to me like I’ve got some serious insulin resistance to deal with. Which is strange since I’m 7% visceral fat and 14% body fat, which isn’t great but isn’t terrible. I think my problem is an almost complete lack of Zone 2 training my entire life. I’ve done lots of walking and lots of resistance training x decades, with nothing in between. Now adding 3+ hours/week of Zone 2 to reprogram my mitochondria (and increase their number).

1 Like

do you do any resistance training?
building muscle will help somewhat with glucose disposal

have you ever tried doing a multi day fast, to really deplete glycogen?

other things that i have found make a big difference
amount of sleep night before
stress level
taking a brisk walk for even 15min after eating the carbs
lifting weights before eating

i have no patience for resistance training unless it’s done next to a computer (ADHD)

i just had glucose spike to 160 after eating ~1100 calories of black beans (+200mg acarbose). when it’s just 760 calories of black beans, it barely spikes… I guess this means I shouldn’t eat all 3 cans next time [but is super-informative for me because I know I’ve binged like this before]

I mean… imagine the spike when it’s 1100 calories of bread… :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t even WANT to imagine this [but I know I’ve done it before, and probably NEVER AGAIN]

I went as far as I could on exercise bike 3x to get it down. Now it’s 14:58

Next time only max 740 calories of beans or else TERROR WILL ARISE

1 Like

That is so surprising to me that even 3 cans of beans would cause such a spike! Were they just plain black beans, or were there any flavorings/additives/sugars added to them?

Well it was 1200 calories… Though it’s unclear if the body absorbs all those calories

If it’s pasta or oatmeal, 200 calories would produce a worse spike though it might not be as prolonged

Minispikes later that day by 1 giant cauliflower head, Panera soup (100 calories), and carrots

Lol it affected the rest of my day BUT NOWHERE AS NEAR AS THAT FORESIGHT INSTITUTE OAT MILK AND A TINY AMOUNT OF IT AT THAT

The last barely even a spike after one can of beans (also can’t disentangle from normal increase after waking up)

BP: 116/61

I’m trying to follow Mike Lustgarten’s nutritional approach in longevity - he’s the only PHD nutritionist I know of that is focused on healthy longevity with a hardcore science focus. Below are all the links to Mike’s websites and videos. I was a member of his patron site - but have recently discontinued that.

Here is mike’s typical daily diet:

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 5.42.41 PM

Here is my diet / blood sugar results from the other day - lots of nuts, carrots, mushroom/spinach etc. stir fry, sardine’s etc… Note - the below measures are likely 10 to 20 points below my real blood sugar levels as that is typically the case when I compare the CGM with my finger prick measures.

Mike’s Lustgarten’s website:

His videos:

His Patreon Site:

FUCK, 2lbs strawberries after 1 box of almonds

My eyes felt weird after that spike too…

Three bowls of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with unsweetened almond milk and a ripe banana. Goes to show you that “whole grain” isn’t necessarily low glycemic!

1 Like

The strawberries took a long time. GOD DAMNIT I JUST NEED A SGLT2 INHIBITOR

Was that with acarbose?

I find that if i have the berries with plain yogurt my blood level spike is much lower.

Here was my day

Can either of you try luteolin + berries please? In any event, I’ll try this whenever I get my hands on a cgm

1 Like

Are you getting woken up/annoyed by your low glucose alarm going off?

I put my phone into airplane mode at night. No problems.

What is the benefit from luteolin that you’ve heard of? I’m not that familiar with the compound. Here is what I found interesting after searching:

Luteolin is a fructokinase inhibitor, but I’m unaware what this means for blood glucose levels.

1 Like

the higher the fat content, the lower the spike
try the berries in sour cream or full fat yogurt

1 Like

Interesting - from the podcast you referenced - here is more information. Can you share some of the research on luteolin and fructokinase that you found compelling? Any idea of the dose? At the bottom I link to a sample product that has luteolin as a supplement - is that the type of product you think might work to help inhibit fructokinase?

• But when fructose is metabolized… the enzyme that metabolizes fructose is called fructokinase
    • And when that metabolizes fructose, it consumes ATP in an unregulated way
    • So if the cell sees a lot of fructose, the ATP levels can plummet by 40 or 50% in the cell
    • And that produces a “May Day” signal, “we’re under attack, we’re running out of energy!
    • So it switches the animal into a condition in which they’re trying to preserve their energy
      • They reduce their metabolism
      • They reduce their resting energy expenditure
      • They push the calories eaten into fat and glycogen as opposed to making more ATP as a way to protect the body by putting you into a system where you try to store fuel
      • Additionally, it triggers hunger and thirst that makes you want to eat more so you eat more to restore the energy but at the expense that you’re shunting much of it into fat and into fuel storage

and further on…

-If you block fructokinase, many cancers don’t do as well

• If you take intestinal colon cancer, for example, and you put high fructose corn syrup on it, they love it, they grow, they metastasize…
  • …But if you block fructokinase and block fructose metabolism, you can block a lot of the growth of those cancers by 50+%
  • Furthermore, we know it’s the fructose and NOT the glucose because the glucose metabolism pathway was not blocked at all in that experiment
  • They were able to show that this was driven by that shift from a mitochondrial based metabolism to a glycolytic metabolism.

and at the end:

Fructokinase inhibitors—a potential blockbuster? [1:07:15]

Are there any people with naturally occurring mutations in fructokinase that render it less capable?

• There’s a condition called the essential fructosuria where they are born without active fructokinase and they live normally
  • These people don’t get type 2 diabetes or obesity
  • It’s a rare condition but that are basically immune to the harmful effects of sugar

Is there any benefit to having fructokinase if you’re not hibernating or in a world where famine is potentially come in your way?

• Fructokinase was an evolutionary thing that allowed us to survive long periods without food
  • So in the Western world where we have an abundance of food it’s really not necessary
  • In fact, Rick thinks “living without fructokinase would probably solve a lot of the world’s health problems

Fructokinase inhibitors

• There are fructokinase inhibitors that are being developed by Pfizer
  • It was quite successful at treating fatty liver and so now they’re taking that drug to phase three
  • Peter says “wow, that’s a potential blockbuster

Luteolin product examples:

More info:

Fructokinase inhibitors that are being developed : Pfizer Study Finds Progress in Combating Fatty Liver | Riley Griffin (bloomberg.com)

Findings show that at least 10 to 20% of fructose can escape into the circulation which can cause kidney problems : Ketohexokinase-Dependent Metabolism of Fructose Induces Proinflammatory Mediators in Proximal Tubular Cells (Cirillo et al., 2009)

Putting high fructose corn syrup intestinal colon cancer will cause the cancer to grow and metastasize and if you block fructokinase and block fructose metabolism, you can reduce the growth : High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice

1 Like