Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

It’s also interesting because it’s apparently very similar to quercetin in structure, and apparently helps against inflammation and prevents senescence to some extent.

I think a lot more research is needed but it seems relatively harmless at usual doses (50-200mg). It’s already a part of my stack where I use it for its fructokinase inhibition before consuming sweet fruit, and also along with my “Dasatinib(low mg) +Fisetin+Quercetin+Raw Cocoa+Blueberry powder” senolytic dose.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a fascinating episode. Researching this led me only to luteolin, but of course I’d be interested in any pharmaceutical and cleaner fructokinase inhibitors.

1 Like

Every now and then I hear about how sugar and fat in combination is more dangerous than either alone! But then there’s also the effect of lower spikes when there’s fat with sugar.

This makes me think that the former is just an urban myth, unless it is somehow referring to how they go well with each other when it comes to how tasty it can be.

1 Like

carbs on its own is less damaging then carbs with fat
hence people can lose weight on the potato diet, eating only plain potatoes
if you think of unhealthy foods, they almost always combine both together.

seems that when you eat pure carbs, its very difficult for your body to turn it to fat, but fat eaten alongside carbs are very easy to get stored as fat.

so from a high glucose perspective, eating fat with the carb may be helpful.
however, from a weight gain perspective, it may be worse

see attached show notes from attia

2 Likes

Oh thanks, this is really useful! But, what is the mechanism by which additional weight gain happens? Do carbs and fat in combination produce more insulin for the same number of calories than either alone?

Or is it just an effect of people consuming more calories when it comes to sweet potato + butter, because it tastes better?

1 Like
  • Preliminary studies suggest that your body uses less insulin and has better metabolic response to having all of your carbs at once without any fat present (rather than spacing it out in mixed meal)
2 Likes

The strawberry spike last night came after eating 750 calories of almonds…

Meanwhile… below is the barely a spike after 750 calories beans

1 Like

One can of black beans and one Cole slaw package WITHOUT ACARBOSE, damn this increase is weird I need to try again to reconfirm

i ate some cloves after to blunt appetite and it seems to work for

WTF COLE SLAW

1 Like

One can black beans this morning, then 2 cans later this afternoon. Also finally took SGLT2 inhibitors will see if that does anything

Omfg

And after 400 more calories of frozen vegetables too. This might literally be the best - peeing out all your excess calories

1 Like

How many mg of which SGLT-2 are you taking?

Are some of the SGLT2 inhibitors more effective than the others?

Also at what dose is the effect highest? Like, I’m taking 100mg canagliflozin - don’t some people take 300mg and is the effect higher at 300mg?

Cole slaw and salsa late at night (I really resisted my nut cravings) then cole slaw when I woke up

1 Like

I’ve heard people take between 100- 300 mg canagliflozin and 10 - 25 mg empagliflozin. I never had the luxury of titrating the dose based on CGM readings, and I was erring towards around 200-250mg canagliflozin. I’m impressed by how well 100mg worked out for you (based on your previous message) – this makes me feel that I can be more conservative with my SGLT2 use and save some more for the future.

It’s still unclear how much my SGLT2 use helps, it didn’t prevent the spike to 125 after I ate cole slaw+salsa (and those are STILL much lower-calorie than bread or fruit). It’s still unclear if I can eat most carbs ever again.

I saw your earlier post on blackbeans + coleslaw, and your recent post with SGLT2 seemed better than that. No?

Again no CGM data here from my end, but I to keep glucose spikes sane, I try to take acarbose, SGLT-2 inhibitors, and psyllium capsules before food, and also try to ensure salad + proteins before carbs if I can help it, and a walk either before/after food. Keto diet seems much simpler at this point, so that’s generally my default!

Keto is MUCH harder if you’re vegan, and even keto people avoid almonds. Most of the “enlightened people” i know regard high-MUFA plant-based as ideal.

I’m super-impulsive so I have to just figure out how to have a super-easy supply of non-frozen vegetables to be around every time I’m around a source of fruit. I know that 1-2 lbs of carrots can spike glucose to 130-135, but carrots are still a super-good low-calorie base food (+ are super-cheap enough to use as a substitute for higher-calorie grains) even if they aren’t ideal like bok choy/celery/cabbage/steamed vegetables. Amazon Prime delivers a much lower variety of vegetables than it delivered 2020 (like its deliveries of celery+tomatoes are SO MUCH LESS LIBERAL than 2020), and much of the cheap remaining vegetables is lame cole slaw.

I did eat a kiwi and a grapefruit with (after large vegetable loads) that resulted in almost no glucose spike. Abstaining from fruit isn’t necessary, but I’ve had to significantly reduce my doses (sad, no more eating 2 lbs of berries anymore, though I might try it with a SGLT2 inhibitor at some pt)

I just ordered thinslim foods bread earlier this week. I know I ordered a lot of it in 2020 and they might have helped me decrease my weight over that year (I weighed as much as 110 in late 2019/early 2020, then dropped to the 90s over 2020, then fell to 89 in early 2021 (I had a video game marathon in January 2021 that made me totally forget to eat for 2 days => that was the only time that year when I even played many games other than a small amount of AOE4 fomo), then low-mid-90s for most of 2021, then up to ~100 when I went on my nut binges in Europe and Canada and now it’s ~105 [on a full stomach]). But now that I have SGLT2 inhibitors on me I expect to lose most of that excess weight and normalize back to 95-100 in not too much time.

I’m an ovolactovegetarian so it’s a bit easier for me. But I do tend towards vegan when I want to keep my methionine levels low. Yep, I realized I have sacrificed most fruits except avocado and blueberries (and some other berries). It’s sad but had to be done!

After listening to the Rick Johnson episode on Peter Attia’s podcast, high GI fruits are top priority on foods to avoid/be careful about.

I’ve been slightly overweight (BMI~25.5) for almost10 years now. I’m thinking that this is becoming insidious and try to drop fat now in hard mode (fasting, fmd, keto, rapamycin, SGLT-2, regular zone-2) — I just wish I could get my hands on ozempic. But it looks like I may actually become much fitter before that happens!

1 Like

Oh I forgot to mention that I was able to eat SOME watermelon in Canada (while playing mahjong) after a giant hot pot bowl without a spike

[i’m inserting extraneous details in my post to maximize my memory retention + match up with photos of food portion sizes that I match up with levels when I come back to this in the future]

PS: I show my CGM to many longevity researchers I come in contact with and it’s really sad how so few of them, like, show increased enthusiasm for them (or SGLT2 inhibitors). Like, are they alive enough? You don’t even NEED to starve yourself and make life CR-level miserable. You only need SGLT2 inhibitors and a taste for vegetables/MUFAs.

I always worry that almost no one in the world is alive enough on all the right dimensions/axes and it makes me so fucking sad.

1 Like

That’s sad and odd given canagliflozin passed the ITP test as well (unlike metformin).

It’s worth noting that even before I regularly used a CGM, my Hba1c levels were generally in the 4.8-4.9 range (even back in the days when my parents regularly fed me trash/seagull-bait like rice/pasta), and I don’t expect this to decrease. It’s important that the spikes are more important than the average levels, but I just want to assuage myself of the regret of accepting the trash my parents used to feed me (they’re much better now, but I still microresent all that fucking rice/pasta).

I didn’t KNOW how bad oatmeal was until casey means outed it earlier this year. There was a period of time at the end of 2019 when I ate too much oatmeal and nuts (and this was DESPITE purchasing CGMs from Canada that I later didn’t use because I didn’t know how to fucking fit them on my upper arm) and not know just how bad the oatmeal was.

1 Like