Your experiences using Supplemental BHB esters to reduce blood glucose, appetite, triglycerides, free fatty acids, Slow Aging, etc?

Following ingestion, exogenous ketones increased blood BHB (MD = 1.73
mM; 95% CI: 1.26, 2.21 mM; P < 0.001) and decreased mean blood
glucose (MD = -0.54 mM; 95% CI: -0.68, -0.40 mM; P < 0.001).
Similarly, when compared with placebo, blood BHB increased (MD = 1.98
mM; 95% CI: 1.52, 2.45 mM; P < 0.001) and blood glucose decreased (MD
= -0.47 mM; 95% CI: -0.57, -0.36 mM; P < 0.001). Across both
analyses, significantly greater effects were seen with ketone monoesters

Eric Verdin is selling a supplement. KetoneAid is too, but Eric Verdin’s seems more cost-effective

Juvenescence, along with Drs. Verdin and Newman at the Buck Institute of Aging, partnered to create “Metabolic Switch®”, a C6 Ketone Di-ester which may provide the beneficial metabolic effects of ketosis with the healthy-aging effects of BHB.

When Verdin first “synthesized” the idea for the product to John Newman, the “flash of brilliance” was immediately apparent — a C6 Ketone Di-ester would allow a “hybrid” of endogenous and exogenous ketosis in the body. Current commercially-available ketone drinks work by raising levels of BHB in the body rapidly by detaching a molecule of BHB from another molecule called butanediol.7 What makes “Metabolic Switch®” unique is that once consumed, it’s broken down in the body into butanediol and a medium-chain fatty acid (also known as medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs) called caproic acid, or C6.

Consuming a ketone ester drink (KE) containing β-HB rapidly elevated blood ketones and reduced the desire to eat and perceived hunger by 50% for up to 4 hours. Elevated β-HB corresponded to significantly reduced levels of ghrelin 2-4 hours after consumption of KE. These findings point to a direct role of β-HB in the suppression of hunger associated with KD, and support the use of KE containing β-HB as a strategy to reduce hunger and aid weight loss during prolonged fasting or caloric restriction

2 Likes

This says no difference in glucose

Blood glucose increased in all conditions following the meal but there were neither significant differences in lowest observed concentrations, nor consistent differences at each time point between conditions. These results demonstrate that both powdered and RTD BH-BD formulations similarly induce ketosis with no differences in glucose concentrations in healthy adults.

1 Like

To our knowledge, this is the first report of the metabolism of D-BHB in humans and its link to the organ distribution of the ketone, AcAc, by PET imaging. This study shows that D-BHB is rapidly absorbed and metabolized (Figure 2). It also increases blood ketones above 1 mM, a level ~1.7 fold greater than the same dose of D+L-BHB or MCT, and this despite the lower caloric load of D-BHB. Moreover, the results of the pilot whole body 11C-AcAc-PET experiment support the feasibility of this technique to measure organ-specific exogenous ketone utilization and they suggest that exogenous ketones are very actively utilized by the heart and kidney.

Ketone production from an exogenous dietary source has been traditionally achieved by MCT. This requires a bolus intake to saturate the liver with MCFA, producing excess acetyl-CoA which is then transformed to AcAc and BHB, which are released into systemic circulation. The Cmax achieved with MCT is usually between 300 and 600 ÎĽM, with higher values being difficult to reach due to GI side effects and liver saturation. Here we show that D-BHB, a natural and biologically active ketone isomer, raises blood ketone Cmax above 1 mM without noticeable side effects. In comparison, an equivalent dose of D+L-BHB or MCT only achieved half this ketone level, with similar Tmax at 1 h. Thus, compared to D+L-BHB, D-BHB significantly reduces the salt intake needed to achieve the same plasma ketone response.

HCA2 activation inhibits lipolytic and atherogenic activity (i.e., it inhibits the breakdown of fats and the development of atherosclerosis), induces vasodilation (i.e., the dilation of blood vessels), and is responsible for mediating niacin-induced flushing.[12]

^maybe THIS is how people with ultra-high cholesterol from excess fat consumption avoid developing cholesterol deposits. BUT STILL, THIS IS STILL A MAYBE

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/low-hdl-cholesterol-levels-and-high-triglyceride-levels-predict-small-dense-ldl-particles/21902/11?u=inquilinekea

and a N=1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7174731/#!po=18.7500 (I still feel skeevish about increasing LDL, but if you do it via keto/BHB, then MAYBE it is not SO bad when paired with high BHB)

2 Likes

Thanks for finding those. I do have some Juvenescence and have not found it to be much different from the salts. I’ll do some more detailed trials of these things with my glucose meter. With the salts, I found almost no difference.

I can go full keto and get my blood sugars to go down, much like you do, but only by depleting all reserves of glucose. It’s not that hard, but some people won’t do it.

Esters reduce glucose by 13mg/dL. that’s quite decent.

www.frontiersin.org

Figure 2. Concentrations of plasma non-esterified fatty acids, triacylglycerol, glucose, and insulin following equimolar ketone ester and ketone salt drinks, at two amounts, in subjects (n = 15) at rest. Values are means ± SEM. (A) Plasma FFA. (B) Plasma TG. (C) Plasma glucose. (D) Plasma insulin at baseline and after 30 and 60 min. EH, ketone ester high; EL, ketone ester low; SH, ketone salt high; SL, ketone salt low. *p < 0.05 difference from baseline value.

EH is the one to take (Eric Verdin’s). God, this might be the best intervention ever.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful Alex, exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks,

I’ll note SGLT2 inhibitors already mildly increase serum BHB and BHB esters have a horrible taste. Intermittent fasting for ~12-14 hrs already gets you additional mild ketosis with a peak at ~20-30 hrs.

2 Likes

FWIW: Potassium BHB is the best of a bad lot when it comes to taste. One of its main attractions is; instant solubility in water.
I put 10 grams in ~3/4 ounces of water and take it like a shot of liquor followed by a drink of plain water. This provides ~30-40% of you daily requirement.
Another reason I like the potassium form is it keeps my systolic blood pressure between 100 and 120 mm/Hg. Which is something I struggle a little be because of my advanced age.
My blood levels of potassium seem to vary quite a bit but stay in bounds.

3 Likes

I just tried 2/5 of Ketone-IQ and feel much better from it (esp lower need to take breaks all the time). Hopefully it’ll reduce my appetite (ive been eating crazy quantities of food recently - like enough to make my weigh 110 lbs at peak [even though 8-10 lbs of that is food/water weight]) and constant tiredness too.

First bottle.

I tried high-fat low-carb for 1.5 months and felt lots of fatigue and didn’t decrease my sleep need or hemoglobin A1C and it’s unnecessary b/c one can just use supplemental BHB esters by now.

1 Like

Juvenescence just created a new ester made out of whey protein, but it’s still milk protein AND I CANNOT STAND THE TASTE. Ugh, make it fucking egg protein

1 Like

I find MgBHB tasteless, even in only water. Potassium BHB is only a slightly nasty saltiness. MCT oil is completely tasteless. Yes, the esters are really nasty.

2 Likes

Apparently there was a new one that tastes ok. Not sure what brand.

I drink a bit of ke4 from time to time at night to help with sleep. I have no good info on effects.

I havw tried others inc MCT oil. I have no aolid info, however.