YARD Time (Yet Another Rapamycin Diary)

I plan on getting another full blood panel done in 3 - 6 months time. Happy to share the before and after. I have a supply of acarbose and empagliflozin arriving from Niba Healthcare this week. Plan on starting acarbose first but if the gas issues from acarbose turn out to be too much then I can switch to the empagliflozin.

Does anyone here take both acarbose and empagliflozin simultaneously?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I couldn’t use a full face mask. I use a nasal mask now. That part of your face flexes much less. Also when the pressure is too high it can interrupt sleep. So you would be better off in my opinion to turn down the pressure and it may seem like it’s doing nothing, but if it doesn’t wake you up and reduces the total number of events then that is better than not using it at all.

On the resmed machines it’s a setting called EPR which stands for exhalation pressure release. I don’t sell them either but I used to set them up for my job for many years. Resmed PAP machines are excellent quality imo.

2 Likes

The Airtouch F20 works for a lot of people because of the memory foam cushion. That one might be worth looking into although no mask is perfect.

2 Likes

The memory foam looks interesting. I’ll definitely give that a go. I’ll also check my machine for the EPR setting and see if that helps. Thanks all.

1 Like

I think there are some, just track your blood glucose levels so that you don’t go hypoglycemic.

Also, I recommend this thread: (IMPORTANT) SGLT inhibitors are not a substitute for Acarbose

1 Like

Started week 3 at 3mg yesterday. Ramping up 1mg per week until I hit 5mg then I plan on holding that.

Didn’t feel great in the afternoon. Checked my blood pressure and it was 160 over 103! :grimacing:

Did some breathing exercises and checked later in the day and it was 134 over 83. Not perfect but vastly improved. I doubt this large intra day variation has anything to do with rapamycin as I was seeing these swings during my recent bout of Horners Syndrome. My current thinking is something is going on with my cardiovascular system and that in turn is stressing the nerves as they travel the loooooong path to my face (see video in first post).

Went for a run this morning and got my fastest 5k this year. The body is a complex and bewildering machine :blush:

4 Likes

Ordered both Acarbose (Glucobay 50mg) and Empagliflozin (Jardiance 25mg) from Niba Healthcare. Usual fast and efficient service. Arrived just 1 week after placing my order.

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Filled with lots of useful information. The devil is indeed in the details. I am going to start with Acarbose by itself first and see how I get on and maybe add in a half dose of Empagliflozin if blood glucose levels and further research tell me thats worth combining in.

I’ve held off starting the acarbose until today. I had a fairly nasty gastrointestinal upset at the beginning of the week and from what I have read here adding in Acarbose on top of that would be like eating a hand grenade :bomb::boom:

This arrived today and OMG what a difference! Had a quick trial nap and the airfit silicone is like a torture device in comparison. Much better fit. No leaks. Less noise. Hopefully this continues for a full nights sleep ahead. Thank you so much for pointing these out!

I know we prefer data over anecdote but for what its worth other than the gastro thing I continue to feel good. Ran a 7k yesterday. Whipped round and felt I had plenty left in the tank. Zero pain during the night - before I was waking up several times with lower leg pain. Out for a 6k walk this morning and no aches or pains either. Just amazing.

What if anything could I look for in a blood panel that would explain what I presume to be an anti inflammatory response I am having?

3 Likes

Good deal! Thanks for the update and I’m really hopeful you’ll have better sleep.

Up to 4mg this morning and definitely felt a big stimulant effect for a few hours.
Acarbose gas is now very noticeable :grimacing: but not intolerable… for me at least

3 Likes

I was due to move up to 5mg on Monday but my head cold has now turned into a sinus infection and I am unsure if taking rapamycin would be counter productive. Anyone with any personal experience here I’d be interested in your n of 1.

I have a long history of sinus problems and have had at least 4 polypectomy surgeries over the years. I am still digesting these papers but from first skim it appears there is some limited evidence that blocking mtor with rapamycin could be clinically useful in those with nasal polyps

Inhibition of IL-17A via the mTOR pathway using rapamycin also attenuated NP formation and inflammation in the murine NP model.

2 Likes

I have been taking 6mg weekly for the past couple of weeks and noted a few possible side effects:

Occasional ringing in my ears usually at night as I am drifting off to sleep. Doesn’t last long maybe 15-30 seconds.

Notable increase in blood pressure - 175 over 95 yikes! My BP has been all over the place but usually well below this at it’s peak.

Resting heart rate down to 49bpm was around 55 - 60

I am going to monitor my blood pressure morning and night and build up a diary and also book in with my GP as the BP numbers are really concerning. I did try dosing with 2g pure Citrulline base powder 3 times a day to get it down a bit but I’ve not been very consistent with that.

3 Likes

Are you using GFJ as well?

No just 6 x 1mg Biocon sirolimus on an empty stomach with my morning coffee

1 Like

What was you usual BP? Are you sure you can say it is rapamycin? Any other issue that could be contributing? Could ear ringing be high BP?

I noticed some ringing in my ears lately too on rapamycin, but it is probably just due to me being more aware…

2 Likes

Usual BP would vary anywhere from 128 over 83 to 156 over 90 which concerning enough. As I say it’s possible but not certain the recent further increase is due to rapamycin. Sleep apnea, whatever lies behind my Horner’s Syndrome etc could all equally well be at play here.

The ringing in my ears is definitely a new thing and yes could be as a result of increased bp:

Tinnitus - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic.

I absolutely had high BP before rapamycin. Is the underlying cause making it worse or is rapamycin contributing? Very hard to say. Cause vs correlation is always hard to pin down precisely when you’re an n of 1.

1 Like

I was asking cause I did now two weeks of BP measuring three times daily and noticed a pattern (only two doses of rapamycin in these two weeks so there is really no statistical value in that, just my observation) that my BP slightly increases on the PM of the dosing day and slightly decreases the following day. My average is 115/75, dosing day PM 118-119/80-85 and following day 104-108/65-70, rest of the days are fairly constant… mornings a bit higher 116 systolic and evenings around 112 systolic… (diastolic is not so constant, goes up and down)

3 Likes

Bp varies a lot. You need to define the circumstances of measurement

1 Like

Continuing on 6mg weekly and taking 2 blood pressure readings in the morning and at night under as similar conditions as possible. Still seeing a very notable increase in blood pressure in the 2 days following rapamycin dosing. Increase of 10 systolic and 7 diastolic. This has also been noted in the literature but in rats not human studies. I guess I’m an outlier but the numbers I am seeing are so highly correlated as to infer causation.

the underlying hypertrophic stimulus, high blood pressure, persisted and was even enhanced in the treated animals. The reason for the enhanced blood pressure is unclear. Of note, however, is that common adverse effects in humans treated with rapamycin are hyperlipidemia and thrombocytopenia8 and not altered blood pressure. Given the fact that rapamycin treatment worsened the hypertension in the spontaneously hypertensive rat, further studies are required where rapamycin is given in conjunction with antihypertensive agents.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.140756

I have just started 4mg candesartan daily as I was seeing consistent stage 1 and 2 hypertension readings and occasional worryingly high spikes.

5 Likes

I think it’s great that you are tracking BP so closely. I’m going to have to do the same. I already take meds to stay in normal range.

1 Like