YARD Time (Yet Another Rapamycin Diary)

No just 6 x 1mg Biocon sirolimus on an empty stomach with my morning coffee

1 Like

What was you usual BP? Are you sure you can say it is rapamycin? Any other issue that could be contributing? Could ear ringing be high BP?

I noticed some ringing in my ears lately too on rapamycin, but it is probably just due to me being more aware…

2 Likes

Usual BP would vary anywhere from 128 over 83 to 156 over 90 which concerning enough. As I say it’s possible but not certain the recent further increase is due to rapamycin. Sleep apnea, whatever lies behind my Horner’s Syndrome etc could all equally well be at play here.

The ringing in my ears is definitely a new thing and yes could be as a result of increased bp:

Tinnitus - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic.

I absolutely had high BP before rapamycin. Is the underlying cause making it worse or is rapamycin contributing? Very hard to say. Cause vs correlation is always hard to pin down precisely when you’re an n of 1.

1 Like

I was asking cause I did now two weeks of BP measuring three times daily and noticed a pattern (only two doses of rapamycin in these two weeks so there is really no statistical value in that, just my observation) that my BP slightly increases on the PM of the dosing day and slightly decreases the following day. My average is 115/75, dosing day PM 118-119/80-85 and following day 104-108/65-70, rest of the days are fairly constant… mornings a bit higher 116 systolic and evenings around 112 systolic… (diastolic is not so constant, goes up and down)

3 Likes

Bp varies a lot. You need to define the circumstances of measurement

1 Like

Continuing on 6mg weekly and taking 2 blood pressure readings in the morning and at night under as similar conditions as possible. Still seeing a very notable increase in blood pressure in the 2 days following rapamycin dosing. Increase of 10 systolic and 7 diastolic. This has also been noted in the literature but in rats not human studies. I guess I’m an outlier but the numbers I am seeing are so highly correlated as to infer causation.

the underlying hypertrophic stimulus, high blood pressure, persisted and was even enhanced in the treated animals. The reason for the enhanced blood pressure is unclear. Of note, however, is that common adverse effects in humans treated with rapamycin are hyperlipidemia and thrombocytopenia8 and not altered blood pressure. Given the fact that rapamycin treatment worsened the hypertension in the spontaneously hypertensive rat, further studies are required where rapamycin is given in conjunction with antihypertensive agents.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.140756

I have just started 4mg candesartan daily as I was seeing consistent stage 1 and 2 hypertension readings and occasional worryingly high spikes.

5 Likes

I think it’s great that you are tracking BP so closely. I’m going to have to do the same. I already take meds to stay in normal range.

1 Like

BP was notably elevated for 72 hours post dosing but is now back to what for me is my usual level. This is a distinct pattern that has emerged over the past month. Will be interesting to see what effect if any candesartan has

I guess I am an n of 1 lab rat :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

After 4mg my systolic was perhaps around 6mmHg higher for a couple of days last time.

3 Likes

Blood Pressure
I’ve been on 4mg candesartan for 4 weeks and my blood pressure has stabilised significantly. Now firmly in the 128 over 78 range.

The spikes in bp I was seeing after taking my weekly 6mg of sirolimus have also flattened out.

I’m adding beetroot juice and l-citrulline into my daily regimen to see if I can get it down to optimal.

Huperzine
The RUL ptosis that started with my bout of horners syndrome unfortunately persists. I saw someone here mention Huperzine A (an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor AChEI) and after a bit digging I discovered people using it as an alternative to mestinon for treatment of myasthenia gravis. I don’t think I have MG but given some suffers are stating Huperzine A alleviates their ptosis I am going to give it a try.

Sleep apnea
I will also be interested to see if Huperzine lowers my AHI. I have seen a number of studies looking at AChEIs (notably donepezil) and sleep apnea. Some report they lower AHI whereas others show no significant effect. Let’s see what my n of 1 study yields.

Brazil nuts
I have had ridged nails for well over a decade and heard that this can be a symptom of selenium deficiency so I’ve started eating 20g of brazil nuts every week or so. I also saw a study that suggested it helps lipid profile:

Seems a little too good to be true but I suspect it is not harmful.

Blood tests
I’ve been taking sirolimus for 3 month so I’m scheduling another round of blood tests to compare with my baseline and happy to share here.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have been on telmisartan and chlorthalidone for systolic hypertension. Since starting 6mg weekly, now for 6 weeks, my bp has been consistently lower. In fact, I have experience orthostatic symptoms at times. So I stopped the chlorthalidone and bp remains in range of 130/65-70 quite consistently. This is a very significant change for me. BTW, I’m 75, an MD, and monitor bp and labs frequently.

6 Likes

Just received my blood test results after 3 months on rapamycin. LDL cholesterol and hsCRP levels are particularly worrying. In my last test before starting rapa my hsCRP was half the current value. I think it unlikely rapa is to balme here as I have some ongoing symtpoms of horners syndrome the root cause of which has yet to be identified.

6 Likes

I would think your hsCRP figure points to a recent infection. This can drive this up quite high. I would retest particularly for that depending on costs not necessarily for anything else.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Yeah that sounds a good idea. The hsCRP test alone is a fifth the cost.

Do you have you pre rapamycin lipid panel? Have lipids and LDL-C increased?

1 Like

My ldl cholesterol increased markedly after six months of rapamycin as well

3 Likes

Lipid panel before:

And after 3months of rapamycin:

4 Likes

That is quite an increase. Mine increased as well, but only in 10-15% range. Started supplementing with psyllium husks, but so far they don’t agree with me :no_mouth:
Will wait to 6-12 months mark to see if they drop again. My lipid panel is similar to yours, I consulted a friend cardiologist who said I have nothing to worry. I remember your BP was also dysregulated. Did you manage to get his under control?

2 Likes

It’s interesting to see a number of people here experiencing elevated LDL. I wonder if they saw this in any of the mouse trials too.

I’m going to try a few things to get LDL back in range like being more consistent with niacin, exercise, diet and test again in a month or so. I might try psyllium husks too.

Yes my BP is back under control since starting candesartan a couple of months ago :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dropped down to 4mg while I get my lipid profile back in range. Still notice a significant “buzz” for an hour after taking which I have to say is a pleasant experience.

Looking back over the past 3 months I have noted a significant improvement in allergies and general nasal congestion. I have an extremely narrow nasal passage and have had several rounds of surgery over the years to remove nasal polyps. Congestion was a daily nuisance and I often resorted to otrivin when it got really bad. Now I hardly ever reach that stage.

3 Likes