White Willow Bark extends lifespan by 475% in yeast

What’s everyone think? Yeast share 23% DNA with humans FYI.

2 Likes

“White Willow Bark extends lifespan by 425% in yeast”

Ah, if I was only yeast. But, on the other hand, white willow bark extract seems safer than aspirin,

“In contrast to synthetic aspirin, willow bark does not damage the gastrointestinal mucosa. An extract dose with 240 mg salicin had no major impact on blood clotting. In patients with known aspirin allergy willow bark products are contraindicated.”

Willow species and aspirin: different mechanism of actions - PubMed.

4 Likes

I need it to have a major impact on blood clotting.

I do use willow bark topically, but that probably won’t extend my life.

1 Like

What dosages I wonder? Already bought some raw bark to make tea with.

“And unlike aspirin which can damage the gastrointestinal mucosa, white willow bark is devoid of serious adverse events. So it’s best to seek out a true white willow bark extract supplement that contains a standardized dose of 40 mg of salicin. You can take up to 160 mg of salicin daily”

Above from;

2 Likes

While many thing fail transition from yeast to humans, that is such an effect that it is tempting to take it if it seems safe and so the worst case is wasted time and money.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s a very cheap supplement and I actually notice it helping with minor pain like aspirin would too (human studies support this) so I also get a subjective benefit too.

I don’t want to thin my blood. I have not seen any studies that show at what dose a potential blood-thinning effect kicks in. I’ve only seen some bloggers talk about 200mg. Does anybody know?

I read somewhere that 240mg salycates from white willow bark is roughly equivalent to about 87mg aspirin

1 Like

Just had my first cup of Salix Alba tea. Feel amazing, but I’m a flake when it comes to psychosomatic feelings. Reduction in neuropathic pain that I suffer from. Second cup prepared, but am spacing as I can only have three a day apparently. I’m a fan :partying_face:

3 Likes

An excerpt from another paper:

“Some researchers suggest that people with asthma, diabetes, gout, gastritis, hemophilia, stomach ulcers, or with kidney or liver issues should also avoid willow bark.”

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/willow-bark

4 Likes

according to the article it’s even higher: 475%

3 Likes

I did a ctrl+f… “salicin” ain’t even mentioned in the paper

I have no idea if any of the three mechanism of actions that they propose would apply in humans; they have to do with “specific changes in the concentrations of several lipid classes”

1 Like
2 Likes

yeah, just alluding to the fact that some people will start taking w.b.extract because of the 475% study, then justify it by using the word “salicin”, yet that ain’t anywhere in the mechanisms of action described by the paper

4 Likes

Agreed, I’m not taking it for salicin. I’m taking it on the results - mechanism of action … “dunno” …:man_shrugging:

The article says:

PE21 is an ethanol/water extract from the bark of Salix alba [55]. If added to growth medium at the time of cell inoculation at a final concentration of 0.1% (w/v), PE21 increases both the mean and maximum chronological lifespans of wild-type strain cultured in medium initially containing 2% (w/v) glucose [55].

They used an ethanol/water extract. So maybe a tincture would be an option; a tincture (don’t know how it tastes) mixed into coffee or tea.

1 Like

Thought this might be of interest. Tentative positive results if wwb fir osteoarthritis

2 Likes

I have put this on my test list in the form of white willow bark tea. I am a little concerned this could be quite similar to aspirin which I don’t like because it is a cox-1 inhibitor (blocks the production of prostaglandins). However, I will try a bit of wwb tea.

3 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me given there was a study showing significant lower back relief with WWB. Seems to be all under the same umbrella.

1 Like