Which supplements do you think are still worth taking?

@John_Hemming. So long as an LLM doesn’t omit growing extra-conventional views, I woul dnot say it is a bias. Given that the present level of functioning of most public LLMs used for our purposes is as an ultra-fast system to scour the extant knowledge on the Internet and parse and summarize it according to quality metrics applicable to the prompt, it will as you say favor the received view. But is will not exclude other views. If the prompts are written correctly (it often takes several iteratively) it will pick up on countervailing views if they have been expressed online, even in Op Eds. Every time I inquired about rapamycin, it presented the new, off-label uses as a growing trend and was able to identify and classify all of the rapamycin longevity research ranging from test tubes, to worms, to mice, to humans. It even identifies the homogeneous lab mouse problem. Most of the public LLMs have cutoff dates, so any major publication or trend in the last six months might be missed.

I know some people here take melatonin, I recently started as well (2.5mg/night). There’s quite a bit of literature on it’s role in oxidative stress, but one thing that I don’t think gets mentioned enough is its effect on body temperature.

From the BLSA you can see that when study population is separated by body temperature into two halves (each with similar initial ages), the half with higher body temperature fares worse.

CR is well-known to reduce core temperature [ref], and in Rhesus it also prevents age related decline in circulating melatonin. [ref] Editing neuroendocrine system in mice to lower body temperature also produces lifespan extension. [ref]

For each group, subjects ingested either sucrose placebo or a 0.1, 0.5, 1.0, or 5.0 mg melatonin capsule at 1600 hr in a double-blind counterbalanced cross-over design… At the lower doses the mean drop in CT was between 0.05 and 0.15 degrees C and took between 2 and 3 hr. At the higher doses (1.0 and 5.0 mg), CT fell by 0.25-0.3 degrees C within 30-60 min following ingestion and at the highest dose (5 mg) remained suppressed for the duration of the study. The hypothermic effect of melatonin on core body temperature: is more better?

Timing on Melatonin is very important. If you can it is probably best to take it after initially getting to sleep and some time during the night (also on slow release).

I have more recently, but rarely, however, on occasions taken over a gram a night. My reasoning relates to protecting mitochondrial DNA.

3 Likes

Interesting post. Thanks @jnorm. I am not taking melatonin but my waking body temperature is ~96.2. I have speculated that this is due to genetics and low inflammation levels. I may experiment to see if melatonin lowers it further. Easy now that my watch tracks it as well. I wonder if there is a floor below which lower sleeping temps are no longer positive.

1 Like

Hi Joseph, did you ever see any window come through?

I don’t recall getting a link to a recording. But I may have missed it. It’s been a while.

interesting but as a supplement hard to come by. Would annatto powder or oil work, from what I found most GG supplements seem to be made from annatto

Sorry, GG is widely available in the U.S.
Amazon has many brands and some of them claim to be from Annatto.
“Geranylgeraniol GG Supplement from Annatto”

Still another life-extending supplement?
Interesting video

Maybe using whipping cream in your coffee might be a way of getting C15
“Heavy whipping cream contains around 353 mg of C15:0 per 100g serving, making it one of the richest dietary sources.”

3 Likes

I am already liking this one, found mainly in full fat dairy and ruminant meat :yum:

I’m interested in C15, but ~500 calories of heavy whipping cream doesn’t sound great. $40/month for a 3 month starter kit is the “fatty15” offer. I spend that on fish oil…Can I stop the fish oil and just take C15? I’ll report back here on that question if you don’t know.

Secret??

FWIW;

Review

“Procaine–The Controversial Geroprotector Candidate: New Insights Regarding Its Molecular and Cellular Effects”

1 Like

Just kidding. :grin: Whipping cream also contains C16 which is not good for you

2 Likes

In the sense that the average user had no idea what it contained.

1 Like

I actually bought the idea of this over a year ago and started the fatty 15. It is expensive, but just sounded good to me.

2 Likes

Any significant subjective or blood test results?

No, thanks for the great video I had no idea it had so much going on. I’ve done a lot of reading of studies on their site.

I never felt anything at all from it, which I agree is a consideration. I tend to go by risk/benefit and things that are already being made by the body, especially something like this are pretty much risk free. So it’s just the expense, which at $300/year (I miss a few days) seems not too bad.

I wonder if there is a publicly available test I could use to check my levels.

1 Like

@Bicep what do you buy for $300/year? I saw $40/month as my potential cost.

1 Like

You may be right when you say overweight older people may look/seem younger (look wise) but in some cases (Trump included) the image of being strong/healthy has more to do with how they carry themselves (i.e. gait, walk tempo, energy, etc…) that gives people impression a person being strong or healthy. I agree however that looks can be deceiving because I know few older persons (3) who looked good the day before to not wake up the next morning because of a heart attack.

Yeah, you are correct. I have a subscription and don’t really pay close attention… had to make my wife look it up on the credit card. Actually I started out paying $120 every 90 days, but now it looks like I pay $130 every 90 days.

And I agree that probably a person should double this dose, so it’s even more than that to do it right.

1 Like