What Questions about Rapamycin do you have for Researchers?

Yes, it does seem that would probably be true given the key functions of both those drugs. I will discuss this with the researchers.

1 Like

Adding this question to my question list for rapamycin researchers. If you have other questions - please add them below in this thread…

2 Likes

What do we know about rapamycin’s half-life in different tissues?

1 Like

I’m taking Rapamune… does this mean I require a lower dose than people on generics?

What if any recommendations for adjusting dosage by body weight? 110Lbs Female vs. 180Lbs male?

1 Like

I’ve not seen any human research/clinical trials with rapamycin where they do the calculations of mg/kg for dosing. Instead its always simply a 5mg or 10mg dose. For example see these studies here.

If you want to do the calculations yourself - you may want to work from, and adjust for (based on biological differences… and I will ask the researchers about this also).

The dog rapamycin trials (TRIAD) at university of Washington is being done at .15 mg/kg in the dogs. Most people I’ve seen using it are in the range of .08 to .12 mg/kg dosing. I’m currently testing .19 to .25mg/kg (on more of a 10 day schedule or so). But I’ve been using rapamycin for 2.5 years now without issue - so I’m not the norm.

If you’re new to rapamycin, I think the safer option is to start low, start slow (e.g. 1mg/week and slowly increasing by 1mg/week), and then pause at a lower dose for a few months to see how you react, and do blood testing to check on key blood measures.

1 Like

Thank you! I will take it slow!

A related discussion on twitter:

1 Like

This is an interesting study and female mice on dosage…

1 Like

Female mice seem to respond much better than male mice (in terms of dose/response for longevity). The researchers like Matt Kaeberlein have said that they don’t see the same effect in other mammals or humans.

Males just need higher dose for equal effect.

Rapa and triglycerides—I remember seeing some info that rapa tends to elevate triglycerides what is the experience with this?

Thanks.

Hi, in some people yes, I’ve heard that rapamycin can elevate triglyceride levels. I’ve seen mine go up about 30% since I began taking rapamycin and I’m now looking at taking a statin to help with this, or the PSK9 inhibitors. Have you experienced this? What details do you want to know in this area?

1 Like

Here are my questions for the researchers:

From a mechanistic standpoint, do they think alpha-ketoglutarate (or any other supplements/medications) may have complementary/additive beneficial effects if combined with rapamycin? Dr. Brian Kennedy may have the most knowledge regarding alpha-ketoglutarate, in particular.

For longevity purposes, is the rapamycin peak blood concentration (Cmax) or Area Under the Curve (AUC) presumed to be more important?

What do they consider to be the most important adverse side effects when trying to ascertain appropriate dosing levels (as opposed to the expected rapamycin effects which may actually be longevity promoting)? Is it increasing HOMA-IR, anemia, decreased testosterone from baseline, hyperlipidemia above a certain threshold, decreased WBC below a certain threshold, etc.?

Do they suggest periodic washout periods (e.g. one month or more completely off rapamycin) to “reset” the system?

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for reply.

I ask because I’m considering rapamycin but my triglycerides tend to run high and I have concerns about statins.

1 Like

Any specific concerns in regards to statins?

Deplete Co-Q10/muscle cramps, muck with mitochondria, effects on memory (severely only rarely, but no idea what is happening more widely).

peter has a good thread on statins in terms of cognition.

theres this paper on Coq10 and mitochondrial function

Dr.Tom Dayspring is probably the best source when it comes to statin use and anything related to lipids.
https://twitter.com/Drlipid

I have great respect for Attia, but I have an MD (not a cardiologist), and for me from what I’ve seen/read the risk/benefit ratio of using statins, certainly as a corrective because of the problems from taking other anti-aging drugs ain’t there. Would I take them if I “needed” them, probably, but that is different situation.

I’ll add that anyone who believes in the infallibility of “experts” in anything (certainly medicine) after last coupla years…

1 Like

Yeah I understand what you mean, I wasn’t trying to persuade you to take them or anything. I actually just got bloodwork back recently and Have high LDL and Non-HDL and total cholesterol(Im 24 and exercise regularly and eat healthy), the doctor didnt check my apoB nor my LDL particle concentration so I have been trying to understand more about lipids so I can figure out why this was the case( which Tom Dayspring is the best source) along with statins or PSK9 inhibitors so I have been doing a lot of research into both of them. I genuinely was just curious on why you felt the way you did about statins.