What are your homocysteine levels? What have you done to reduce it? Why isn't it part of PhenoAge or aging.ai clocks?

This is one area where vegans do worse than non-vegans despite vegans having lower methionine but I wish they would control for B12 status (esp b/c B12 is very easy to supplement). B6 important to supplement too (I mean, B6 is IN the supplement stack of that buck professor)

Should try creatine to reduce.

Also SAM-e directly feeds into it so SAM-e BAD

High homocysteine causes brain decline (the worst of things) and this could be a reason why some B-vitamins reduce brain decline.

This in Chinese people below (Gender- and age-related differences in homocysteine concentration: a cross-sectional study of the general population of China | Scientific Reports )

3 Likes

In Sept, 2022, my homocysteine was 7.5. My previous measure in February, 2019 was 10.3. I am 58 years old now. I started taking a homemade version of Juvifyā€™s GlyLo in November, 2021, and that includes a B6 supplement. I also supplement B12. My diet is keto, heavy on animal fats and moderate on protein (70g/day).

I had high homocysteine levels both from genetics (mthfr) and health issues (taking high dose PPIs for GERD). Now my tests come out at around 7. For me, taking b12 and methyl folate helped some, and taking choline seemed to help a bit. The thing that apparently helped the most was NAC. Iā€™ve been taking it for a couple years now and my HST levels dropped by around 4. I was taking 1.2gms a day but now with the data of glynac, Iā€™ve bumped it up to 2.4gms a day

2 Likes

> what are the 1st, 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 90th, and 99th percentile homocysteine concentration of people?

The percentiles for homocysteine concentration in people would vary based on factors like age, diet, and health. Some general estimates include:

1st percentile: Around 5 Ī¼mol/L or less. Very low homocysteine, likely indicating adequate B vitamin status and metabolism.
10th percentile: Around 7 Ī¼mol/L. Still on the lower end of the normal range; low risk of deficiency or issues.
25th percentile: Around 8-9 Ī¼mol/L. Within the normal, healthy range but may indicate some increased risk of B vitamin deficiency or impaired metabolism in some cases.
50th percentile (median): Around 10-12 Ī¼mol/L. The median for a generally healthy population likely with adequate but not excessive B vitamin and metabolism status.
75th percentile: Around 13-15 Ī¼mol/L. On the higher end of normal; some risk of deficiency/impaired metabolism for certain individuals. Supplements/diet changes could help.
90th percentile: Around 16-18 Ī¼mol/L. Some risk of hyperhomocysteinemia which can increase heart disease risk; warrants diet/lifestyle evaluation and potentially B vitamin treatment for some.
99th percentile: Around 19 Ī¼mol/L or above. Very high homocysteine which may indicate a genetic issue or B12/folate deficiency; requires medical evaluation and treatment to lower risk.

These are general estimates. The precise percentiles would depend on a variety of individual and population factors. Both high and low homocysteine can indicate issues in some cases. Elevated homocysteine is a risk factor for heart disease, but levels should be evaluated in context. A doctor can assess homocysteine along with symptoms and other health factors to determine appropriate treatment or further testing. Diet/lifestyle changes and B vitamin supplements may help address high homocysteine, but medical advice is necessary for individual cases.

> what are the 1st, 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 90th, and 99th percentile homocysteine concentration of 25-year olds?

The percentiles for homocysteine concentration in 25-year-olds would likely be generally lower than for older populations, but the exact values would depend on factors like diet and health in 25-year-olds. Some estimates could be:

1st percentile: Around 4 Ī¼mol/L or less. Very low homocysteine in healthy young people with adequate nutrition.
10th percentile: Around 6 Ī¼mol/L. Still low, indicating good B vitamin and metabolism status for age.
25th percentile: Around 7-8 Ī¼mol/L. Within the healthy range but some risk of deficiency/impaired metabolism in less healthy individuals.
50th percentile (median): Around 8-10 Ī¼mol/L. The median for 25-year-olds would likely be on the lower end of normal, reflecting good health and nutrition at this age.
75th percentile: Around 10-12 Ī¼mol/L. Higher than median but still normal for age; some may have deficiencies or impaired metabolism, warranting diet/lifestyle evaluation.
90th percentile: Around 13-15 Ī¼mol/L. Elevated for age and warrants homocysteine-lowering changes; some risk of hyperhomocysteinemia and related health issues in less healthy individuals.
99th percentile: Around 16 Ī¼mol/L or above. Very high for age and requires medical evaluation; may indicate genetic issues or severe deficiency that necessitates treatment to reduce risks.

However, these are rough estimates. The precise homocysteine percentiles for 25-year-olds would depend on the attributes and diets/lifestyles of people of this age. In general, homocysteine levels would likely be lower than in older populations. But both high and low homocysteine can indicate issues at any age, so values should be evaluated based on symptoms and other health factors. Medical advice is necessary for individual cases of very high or very low homocysteine.

> what are the 1st, 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 90th, and 99th percentile homocysteine concentration of 18-year olds?

The percentiles for homocysteine concentration in 18-year-olds would likely be lower than for older populations, reflecting good health and nutrition at this age. Some estimates could be:

1st percentile: Around 3 Ī¼mol/L or less. Very low homocysteine in healthy young people with adequate nutrition.
10th percentile: Around 5 Ī¼mol/L. Still low, indicating good B vitamin and metabolism status for age.
25th percentile: Around 6-7 Ī¼mol/L. Within the healthy range but some risk of deficiency/impaired metabolism in less healthy individuals.
50th percentile (median): Around 7-8 Ī¼mol/L. The median for 18-year-olds would likely be low, reflecting good health and diet at this age.
75th percentile: Around 8-9 Ī¼mol/L. Higher than median but still normal for age; some may have deficiencies or impaired metabolism, warranting diet/lifestyle evaluation.
90th percentile: Around 10-12 Ī¼mol/L. Elevated for age and warrants homocysteine-lowering changes; some risk of issues in less healthy individuals.
99th percentile: Around 13 Ī¼mol/L or above. Very high for age and requires medical evaluation; may indicate genetic issues or severe deficiency that necessitates treatment.

However, these are rough estimates. The precise homocysteine percentiles for 18-year-olds would depend on the attributes and diets/lifestyles of people of this age. In general, homocysteine levels would likely be lower than in older populations. But both high and low homocysteine can indicate issues at any age, so values should be evaluated based on symptoms and other health factors. Medical advice is necessary for individual cases of very high or very low homocysteine.

1 Like

Homocysteine-lowering interventions seem useless for hypertension: Rilmenidine vs Telmisartan or other BP meds for Longevity - #84 by adssx

But are they useful for anything at all? Itā€™s not convincing:

On the other hand, homocysteine-lowering interventions might lower the risk of stroke:

That being said, although the association between homocysteine levels and CVD is non-causal, it is quite strong, and Iā€™ll get tested to know my baseline levels and better understand my ā€œbaselineā€ CVD risk besides genes + Lp(a) + family history.

Peter Attia targets 8-9 as upper level of homocysteine for his patients, using methylated B vitamins to achieve this target.

From his show notes (#257): ā€œPeterā€™s concern is mostly cardiovascular because there is good evidence that homocysteine impairs clearance of two molecules (SDMA and ADMA [symmetric and asymmetric dimethylarginine]) that impair nitric oxide synthaseā€

But in that podcast with Tommy Wood (#257) they also discuss the role of homocysteine levels in cognitive decline. They discuss the VITACOG study, in which cognitive decline and brain atrophy were reduced in the setting if lower homocysteine levels. Moreover, this effect was greatest in those with highest Omega 3 status.

So the key point they are making is that you need both low homocysteine AND high omega 3 for the cognitive benefits.

They cite 3 studies: VITACOG, B-proof, and OmegAD.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916523277655?via%3Dihub

So Iā€™m now trying to get my homocysteine low and omega 3 index high.

2 Likes

So if I understand correctly, homocysteine-lowering interventions alone are useless unless combined with omega 3 supplementation (or in people with already high omega 3)?

ā€œOur results do not support a causal association between elevated homocysteine and risk, severity, and progression of AD.ā€ (Genetic influence of plasma homocysteine on Alzheimerā€™s disease 2018)

So for sure homocysteine-lowering alone is useless. TBC if really useful if combined with omega 3 :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That was certainly the gist of Peter Attiaā€™s discussion with Tommy Wood around preventing cognitive decline. Decreasing homocysteine is effective only in setting of high omega3 status.

What is proven so far is the opposite: omega 3 supplementation is only effective at high dose AND in the context of low homocysteine:

(Alzheimerā€™s disease risk reduction in clinical practice: a priority in the emerging field of preventive neurology 2024)

What is unknown (but a reasonable assumption) is whether homocysteine-lowering interventions (via methyl-B9 and methyl-B12 supplementation) combined with high-dose omega 3 supplementation is effective. We could answer this question by looking at multi vitamin trials: was supplementation effective in people with high homocysteine at baseline?

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. On the whole, seems like reasonable approach to keep homocysteine low and omega-3 high.
My most recent Omega index was 6% (trying to get above 8) and homocysteine was 8.8 (trying to stay below 9.

@adssx et al, people may want measure those two above and see if decreasing homocysteine also decreases them

They seems like good datapoints to have in themselves

1 Like

Thanks. Are these easy to test? (I couldnā€™t find it after a quick Google search) Is there any evidence that lowering them improves outcomes (ACM, AD, other NDDs, etc.)? Homocysteine-lowering interventions failed and MR studies dont look great, so even if my homocysteine is high (Iā€™ll do my test next week) Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll start supplementing in B9 & B12. Iā€™m now trying to only take drugs and supplements if highly safe and effective (with measurable outcomes). For instance, drugs to lower BP & BPV (with ARB + D-CCB + thiazide-like) and to improve insulin sensitivity (with SGLT2i, acarbose and maybe GLP-1RA) meet these criteria for me.

At least in the US very easy, Quest and Labcorp both offer them and one can order it oneself without a doctor via services like ULTA labs for about 40 dollars for a package with both of them after their almost universal 20% off discount.

See ADMA/SDMA | Ulta Lab Tests and/or Quest Diagnostics: Test Directory and ADMA/SDMA | LABCORP OKLAHOMA, INC. | Test Directory

My framework is similar, but Iā€™d frame it more as ā€œeffectiveness-to-safetyā€ ratio. If the safety of a intervention is very high (like adding some non crazy amounts of B6, B9 and B12 and/or some creatine) then itā€™s ok for me that there is less certainty about the effectiveness in cases where the effectiveness could be very, very valuable (neurological and cardiovascular health in this case).

Think in contexts where there are no patents like for vitamins like B6, 9 and 12 we are naturally not going to have as much clinical trial data, so that has to be weighed too.

The rationale and mechanistic understanding is also something that matters in my framework. Perhaps listen to the DRIVE episodes where itā€™s discussed to help build out some intuitions / questions re what to look into further.

1 Like

This was my framework as well before. I changed my mind as Iā€™m looking for treatments to continue until the end of my life. Unfortunately as you noted data on vitamins isnā€™t as good as data on patented drugs (although you can patent some formulations, see for instance Deplin and medical foods). This means that we have less data on their safety and effectiveness. Itā€™s sad because Iā€™m sure some supplements are as safe and effective as some drugs. But I apply the same criteria to evaluate supplements, drugs and devices. I see no reason to lower the bar for some compounds because of the lack of a legal framework to support R&D around these therapies. That being said, despite the lack of patentability for vitamins (and for repurposed generics like rapamycin!) there are hundred of animal studies and trials (often under poweredā€¦) studying them.

Mendelian randomization studies are also extremely cheap and theyā€™re super valuable for stuff like vitamin levels. Homocysteine lowering is useless according to MR. Do we have MR for SDMA and ADMA activity and longevity?

I donā€™t believe in mechanistic understanding alone. Because we know so little. Mechanistic assumptions have to be backed by at least animal studies and/or clinical trials and/or emulated trials (leveraging longitudinal data) and/or Mendelian randomization.

2 Likes

Creatine might help if so because I think it is one of the most studied supplements in the world with other possible benefits as well like for muscle strength and cognition.

But where do we draw the line? Should we only make decisions about what foods to eat and what foods to not eat, how much food to eat, how to optimize sleep, what exercise to do and not and methods for managing stress and mental wellbeing based on only on clinical trials? Clearly most of us think it is better to make decisions on those types of things even when there is no data.

And re medications, everything a person combines two or more medications that have not been tested together he or she is no-longer in the world of clinical trials because the very large risks of interactions and polypharmacy. So if you are combining more than two drugs that have not been tested in clinical trials you are somehow using other frameworks for your decision making (whether explicitly or (less good) implicit) - I think that is the case right?

Itā€™s probably better to make decisions for the next 6-12 months at a time and then keep updating the decisions along the way as more and better info comes out. So the decision for me in this context on whether a bit of B-vitamins and some creatine knocks down my homocysteine in a bit way, is whether it is worth doing that for the next 6-12 months and not for the rest of my life, so go another 6-12 months and then both see where my individual measured b-vitamin levels come out and my homocysteine (and SDMA and ADMA come out) and how I feel. And also keep looking at what we learn datawise and then combine that info and update my decisions for the next 6-12 month period or so.

To each their own way! We have a lot of data on diet and sleep. I donā€™t want to review everything every 6 months. I already do a lot of monitoring (every morning I check Google Scholar actually :nerd_face:). Anyway in the specific case of homocysteine-lowering: clinical trials and MR studies point to its uselessness so I see no reason to do it. Still, itā€™s a risk factor, so itā€™s good to know it. (And raised homocysteine might be a symptom of something else, Iā€™d like to act on that, if only I could find it!)

Still, thereā€™s no harm in supplementing with the b vitamins and tmg.

1. How do we know that long-term? Under which dose? Which form of these vitamins? I remember reading somewhere that B12 as cobalamin could be bad for renal function for instance (not 100% sure, I could make this up). [EDIT: itā€™s actually cyanocobalamin that is harmful in people with low eGFR: B vitamin therapy for homocysteine: renal function and vitamin B12 determine cardiovascular outcomes - PubMed It just shows that the safety profile of these vitamins is not that simple.]
  2. I think that some vitamins like this could be useful. But not for their homocysteine-lowering properties (as homocysteine-lowering is useless): they also act on other pathways. B12 as methylcobalamin seems especially interesting.