Weight Setpoint?

Yes, you are right and many articles tout that rapamycin can reset your weight point.

I went from 196 pounds… after three months on rapamycin… lost weight weekly and I reset to 181. That was 2 years ago…

I eat constantly … everything and if it goes up on a Holiday buffet 3 day binge to say 187 pounds…in a few days it is back to 181.

I weigh everyday butt naked… before jumping in the shower.

My weight set point is now 181 pounds… I like it.

4 Likes

I wish that was my experience. I’ve gained about 8 pounds since I started rapa this summer. I take 6mg every Saturday morning on an empty stomach. Weighed in at 189 last morning but average around 185. Would a higher dose help?

4 Likes

Maybe take your dose with a bit of GFJ? Kick it up?

I was actually thinking the higher rapamycin dosing would clean more and more fat and other crap out of me … it did.

Pretty shredded now. Went from a 34 inch waist to 31 inch now.

Peter Attia and Matt Kaeberlein both do 8 mg to 10 weekly.

Worth a shot.

Funny how our phenotypes respond to Rapamycin. It responds to your changed issues. I have always had a small frame… it has adjusted back to my early self… just now in better shape.

Me 20 years ago… pretty thin.

Me 6 years ago.

Me now. So maybe takes you back more to earlier self.

6 Likes

No, that’s what 2x TRT dosing does…

4 Likes

No I would recommend against taking more.

What brand are you using atm?

1 Like

I have to agree with Agetron.
After taking rapamycin for a few months I finally lost the last few pounds that seem so difficult sometimes to lose.
What is really surprising to me is how stable my weight is now without watching what I eat.
Rapamycin seems to be a great weight stabilizer, for me at least.
FWIW: I have been taking doses of 5 - 20 mg of rapamycin. High doses every 2 weeks, lower doses every week. Currently, I am on a vacation from rapamycin to see if I can get my blood work results back to norm.

3 Likes

Well joelklee might be time to get on TRT - Maverick78 could be onto something there. Thanks bud.

Regardless of your position on TRT-- that with rapamycin… my blood panel excellent health, Dexa scan, Coronary Calcium Scan, Body Composition are all excellent normal and I will be 65 in a few months. My physician says you are amazing - stay the course.

Because of some people’s attitude on TRT some people just pm me feel free to do so if you have any questions

1 Like

Can you provide more details about your gfj protocol? What’s the source (fresh squeeze yourself, canned, etc.), amount, timing?

1 Like

I’ve been on TRT since my mid 40s due to low T (I am 56 now). AFAIK it’s not life extending but it can be life enhancing. In my experience testosterone “wants” me to be bigger. I probably packed on 10 pounds within a few years of starting. Even if it’s only muscle, beyond a certain weight, that probably is not a good thing from a life extension point of view. (e.g. more heart stress, higher blood pressure, etc.).

2 Likes

I’m currently taking Pfizer rapamune courtesy a friend of a friend in Turkey. That was a one-shot deal. When I run out, I have a script at amazon pharmacy for generic sirolimus valid for a few more refills.

1 Like

24m

Can you provide more details about your gfj protocol? What’s the source (fresh squeeze yourself, canned, etc.), amount, timing?

Sure Joel…

I get a Red Grapefruit from Wal-Mart produce… it’s what they stock.

Just before my rapamycin dose…I slice the Grapefruit in half and then half again (quarters). Then, with my hands squeeze each section into a glass… strain it… and I get about 5 fluid ounces.

I swallow my 2mg rapamycin pill with the squeezed GFJ. I get an increase of 6 times… based on all my LABCORP test. You can get anywhere from 3 to 6 multiplication of the dose. Each person is different. It definitely will extend your supply of rapamycin.

LMK… if you have other questions.

P.S. thanks for sharing your TRT… info. Typically it melts fat… builds muscle. For me extended use of rapamycin will start to shred and remove all extra fat in your muscles… more strength…less bulk.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info. After doing some research, I am going to push pause on boosting dosing levels with GFJ. Before doing so, I’d like to measure baseline levels of rapa and several other things which will require more study.

I’m more comfortable getting a more modest boost from fat (I’ve been taking rapa on an empty stomach before breakfast). I understand that @RapAdmin takes rapa with a can of sardines but I’m hoping for something a little more palatable. @desertshores do you still take rapa with olive oil? If so can you share your dosing protocol?

2 Likes

Somewhere I have read that the “Red Grapefruits” have less narigin, one of the important flavonoids responsible for the cytochrome enzymes, than the white and more bitter fruits. I apologize for the lack of citation; I believe it came from the Florida Citrus Association.

2 Likes

I agree - less bitter - no after taste.
Really good flavor and I get a great boost of 6x’s on my rapamycin.

1 Like

I have taken rapamycin for a few months two different times, and I often wonder if it reset my weight set point.

It’s hard to know because I made a lot of changes at the same time, but at the beginning of the pandemic I lost 30 pounds just from switching the 1.5 hours a day I went to a restaurant for lunch or dinner, to cooking for myself and walking 1.5 hours a day. I made no attempt to lose weight; it just came off from that one change.

I’ve also done a strict “healthy” keto diet ~3 times for 3-5 months at a time during the last two years (after losing the initial weight). I lost another 5-10 pounds doing keto.

But one thing I have definitely noticed, is that I don’t gain weight back like I used to pre-rapamycin (or pre-keto? or pre-walking a lot?)

I weighed myself yesterday after not doing so for ~3 weeks, and was sure I would have gained weight because I feel like I’ve been eating a lot more, and I haven’t been walking because of the bad weather and I’ve had some big work deadlines. But nope…I hadn’t gained a single pound.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m also not sure about the set point reset. But I also experience that its definitely easier to keep the weight off after its gone.

2 Likes

I tried to take Everolimus 2,5 mg twice a week. It raises my appetite to the sky, and i feel body aches. Muscles and joints are less functional, it seems like producing some body inflammation, i can’t run as usual. I have gained 10 pouns in 2 months, the only thing that goes better seems to be my brain. There i feel more relaxed and clear minded.
I am 42, and before starting rapa, my blood tests were perfect, including glucose and insulin levels. I feel that something unhealthy is happening with my metabolism, but did not checked it yet.

2 Likes

I would try cutting way back. Like just do it once a week. I think we are all just feeling our way around here. If it doesn’t work, change it.

3 Likes

Yes does seems kinda high. pills of 5 mg per week?

Some podcast with Peter Attia and Matt Kaeberlein say women might do well or better on less than men.

5 mg once a week or once every 10 days is plenty for many on here.

2 Likes