Weekly vs biweekly - main concern is dementia prevention?

Hi there,

I’ve read about all I can on this issue - any further/recent thoughts? I’m 46 and healthy but have a bad family history - likely hetero or homo apoe4. I’m considering working my way to either 10mg weekly or 20mg biweekly.
Thanks!

Unfortunately we really are thrashing around in the dark here. People absorb it differently depending on their gut. Grapefruit juice affects absorption. So you don’t know how much you’re getting. You also don’t know how long it lasts, or how quickly your liver does away with it.

I’m finally going to try to get the LE lab to check mine after a day and a week and find out. I started out at 4mg/2 weeks and noticed the effect on my brain right away. Also on my arthritis. For my heart disease (CAC = 285, then a year later 315 I think) I decided to increase it to 6/2weeks then 6/10 days and at that point my lipids went way up and my doctor lost his nerve.

It sounds like your main concern is for your brain in the future? I’d start low, but that is my very conservative strategy. If you notice symptoms already then maybe more is better, but for me it started working pretty soon and on a low dose. It’s great that you are on top of it, but at your age I just think starting something experimental should be done carefully.

The only answer here is, ‘we don’t know’.

We do however have a peer reviewed study via Mannick showing benefits for weekly dosing so that is probably the most conservative option until more data becomes available. 10mg/week seems a high starting dose though?

1 Like

Yes future brain protection is my main concern - I don’t want to go the way of my family members. The other purported benefits sound pretty good too however. I may try 4mg or 6mg weekly to start - Dr’s Green and Blagosklonny seemed to agree in their recent video that 4mg women and 6mg men weekly was a reasonable starting dose

I think you would see lower risk of side effects if you start at 1mg and slowly increase to the dose, while periodically checking blood measures to see how your body is responding. See details here:

Also - more generally - this is a good source of information on compounds that may help reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimers:

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/researchers

Also - there has been some good preliminary data on ketosis as helping in brain health - see this discussion:

Study of N=1

Because I was already in pretty good shape from using keto and time-restricted feeding, both of which lower mTORC1, my Levine spreadsheet biomarkers were not improved by the use of rapamycin for 8 months.
Only my HDL improved, and that is a questionable marker. Meanwhile, my lipid panel certainly took a turn for the worse.
I personally at this point think time-restricted and/or keto will give you just as good results on the Levine biological age calculator spreadsheet as rapamycin.
Rapamycin actually produced poorer results on the spreadsheet in my case, and rapamycin also increased my lipid levels.
One other caveat, I have been using other possible life extenders such as metformin, melatonin, and lithium orotate for a long time.