Weekly vs Once Every Two Weeks - main concern is dementia prevention?

What is the difference?

Lithium Orotate has a molecular mass of about 162, Lithium itself has a molecular mass of about 7.

Hence if you have 5mg of Lithium Ortotate you have 5*7/162 = about 0.216mg of Lithium itself. The quantity of lithium varies by a multiple of about 23.

5mg of elemental Lithium in Orotate form would be about 116 mg of Lithium Orotate.

Edit: in looking at things it may be the Monohydrate that is available which would have a molecular mass of about 180. If that is the case then the figures above should change by replacing 162 by 180 and the consequential adjustments.

I think you are around right about the dosage. Clearly 1mg of elemental Lithium looks to be on the bottom end. I am going to run with 5mg having moved from 1mg (and changed the salt) for a bit and see what happens.

desert shores: What brand of lithium orotate do you use?

There may not be a big difference in brands as long as you buy a trusted brand.
I prefer a chelated form of lithium orotate for better absorption. I have used several different brands.

Could you provide a link to the one you use? Amazon?

More news on dementia prevention:

Speaking two languages provides the enviable ability to make friends in unusual places. A new study suggests that bilingualism may also come with another benefit: improved memory in later life.

Studying hundreds of older patients, researchers in Germany found that those who reported using two languages daily from a young age scored higher on tests of learning, memory, language and self-control than patients who spoke only one language.

The findings, published in the April issue of the journal Neurobiology of Aging, add to two decades of work suggesting that bilingualism protects against dementia and cognitive decline in older people.

2 Likes

I speak three languages poorly. Does that count?

2 Likes

Absolutely,

So does social connection:

1 Like

Perhaps I missed something : I thought this thread was on melatonin usage and benefits. Along the way the discussion turned to lithium orotate (of which I’ve never heard of and never considered, and am grateful for the new information). But are these two supplements somehow related? Or was this just a topic-shift?

It sounds like @desertshores believes it is a key ingredient in his “stack” (and I believe he quells it every few months back down to ten supplements, and thus has survived many “quells” over the years so must be bringing benefits, at least to him). Anyone else a strong believer of lithium orotate?

Any reason to take this specific form of lithium? Versus lithium chloride, etc.?

When you describe the dosage as “5mg”, is that of the salt (lithium orotate) or of just the lithium? Is that how they dose it on the side of any reasonable bottle I might end up buying?

Also, give it is cheap and appears to promote longevity in a variety of “lower” organisms, was lithium orotate ever considered for the ITP?

1 Like

For longevity people tend to go for orotate or aspartate and normally quote the mass of lithium. I go for 15mg a week spread out.

4 Likes