Vitamin D - Not a Magic Bullet, but Deficiency is a Poison Arrow

Vitamin D protects against depression: Evidence from an umbrella meta-analysis on interventional and observational meta-analyses

https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661822005515

1 Like

One thing I measure each week is 25OHD levels. That enables me to see the effects of supplementing with D3 and 25OHD itself. I find if I take 3000IU of capsules of D3 in oil my D3 levels trend down from good to sufficient. I want them to be near the top end of normal so every so often I take some 25OHD to supplement the 3000IU daily of D3.

1 Like
3 Likes

An N of 1 here - for context, I’ve been using InsideTracker now for a little over a year. It asks you to test vitamin D levels. I live in Australia and my GP has said I don’t need to check this (cause of where I live I.e. Queensland (near the GoldCoast for those overseas)).

My calcium history, while optimal, was low for my age (43 at the time). I start taking a Vitamin D supplement every other day after reading an InsideTracker blog indicating that it can improve Calcium absorption and lo and behold it increases.

I have another blood test or two but still do not get my Vitamin D level checked (as the GP again does not recommend it). A few months later, I use an online doctor for a blood test that includes Vitamin D. It comes back with 40ng/mL……still optimal according to InsideTracker, but on the low side.

Seems to me that many might benefit from a Vitamin D supplement (even those that live in ‘sunny’ environments). Just my ‘two cents’……

3 Likes

It appears people with higher BMI figures process vitamin D less edficiently.

This was posted a few days ago.

Didn’t see that. Thanks.

Vitamin D also reduces risk of suicide.

Hmmm. Or perhaps depressed and borderline suicidal people are less likely to take their meds and supplements on schedule. Correlation or causality or both? At least this study looked at more than just blood levels of D. Newsflash-- people that get out in the sunshine tend to be healthier and more active.

1 Like

For those of us at risk for skin cancer, including myself.

https://alz-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dad2.12404

Vitamin D sufficiency helps prevent diabetes.

AIUI Vitamin D deficiency is helpful if you don’t have much food and run the risk of starving as it shuts down a number of the genes (depending upon how deficient you are). Running a body on fewer genes will require less energy.

Hence I am not quite sure why anyone today would wish to be Vitamin d deficient.

3 Likes

However, 50% of the world’s population is deficient. Just imagine what cheap supplementation could do for healthcare costs! It just seems like a cheap no-brainer solution to many big health problems.

2 Likes

Vitamin D intake could reduce cancer mortality in the population by twelve percent - provided the vitamin is taken daily. This was the result of an evaluation of 14 studies of the highest quality conducted at the German Cancer Research Center with a total of almost 105,000 participants.

1 Like

I take 5000 units of vitamin D daily (one of the four things presently in my “stack” aside from GlyNAC and citrus bergamot — I’m working up to Rapamycin) and my vitamin D (25OH) levels are 49 ng/mL (the lab test says “optimal” is 30-80 and possible toxicity is >150). Is this a good number? Frankly I would have thought this was slightly too low for longevity and protective levels. I also shudder to think what my levels would be if I didn’t take the 5000 units.

The longevity presentation (https://www.rapamycin.news/uploads/short-url/ySnFHZuY4yqoc64sVeftHkL0dFz.pdf) (thank you, @RapAdmin ) chart on page 29 suggests 30ng/mL is “optimal” from the perspective of a hazard ratio minimum, and my current levels are on the other side of a “u” curve with a slightly increased hazard level. Although the notes then go on to say the increased hazard at higher D levels is under discussion.

The longevity study referenced above said “average” population levels were 45nmol (roughly 18ng/mL). (https://scitechdaily.com/new-study-finds-that-vitamin-d-could-help-extend-your-life/?j=323783&sfmc_sub=138499328&l=235_HTML&u=6523776&mid=514007898&jb=552&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Longevity%2BSpotlight_January%2B2023_CUSTOMER&utm_term=Read%2BArticle%2B-%2BArticle%2B%232&utm_id=323783&sfmc_id=138499328&senderprofile=promotional)

The German study referenced above by @DeStrider (https://www.dkfz.de/en/presse/pressemitteilungen/2023/dkfz-pm-23-27-Reduced-cancer-mortality-with-daily-vitamin-D-intake.php) suggested 20ng/mL was “low”.

Part of the reason I started taking D is for vitiligo ( which I have, albeit not as noticeable in my light skin). A Brazilian dermatology research group found that massive daily doses of 35,000 units of D daily for a six month period reduced vitiligo spots by a meaningful percentage for 14 of 16 subjects. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3897595/). But truthfully I’ve seen zero change, although at 5000 units I am taking 1/7th what this study suggested.

Any thoughts on this? Should I take more daily? Do I have too much? — should I take 5000 units every two days instead? Thank you.

1 Like

Vitamin D is a bit tricky. Too little is horrible but too much is bad. Most “experts” say we should supplement with 800-1000 IUs daily. I have a vitamin D deficiency, so I too take 5000 IUs daily. My parents used to take 5000 IUs as well, but their lab tests came back as ‘too high’. I’d say it all depends on your biology. If you get a Vit D test and you are in the optimal zone, you can continue taking what you are taking or up the dosage a little. I am leery of going up too much as you can overdose.

1 Like

Because I have weekly blood tests I can adjust my supplementation for Vitamin D to maintain a certain Serum level. I also supplement with 25OHD to adjust the level whilst maintaining a daily figure of 3000iu in oil (perhaps 50% more bioavailable than in tablets).

I am currently trying to run at 200 nmol/l (80 ng/ml) I was a little worried that running a bit high has the potential for ectopic calcification. The figure of 200 nmol/l is at the higher end of the normal range.

I have been in the 400s and I know that a steady state of 3000iu for me results in 90. I agree that you have have too much vitamin D, but it is key transcription factor for a number of genes and if my cells want those genes to work I would like them to work and not be held back by a shortage of vitamin D.

1 Like

Having been diagnosed with a deficiency I’ve been supplementing with 1000iu for years.
Tried going up to 2000 recently but started to get muscle cramps (apparently can be a sign of too much vit D ).
Returned to 1000 level and no muscle cramps since.
I guess I’ve found my sweet spot.

1 Like

Your case makes a good point as to our different biologies. I think this is why the experts recommend 800-1000 IU daily. It pretty much works for everyone. Higher doses may be appropriate for some, but not everyone. This is where testing becomes important.