Vitamin D - Not a Magic Bullet, but Deficiency is a Poison Arrow

However, 50% of the world’s population is deficient. Just imagine what cheap supplementation could do for healthcare costs! It just seems like a cheap no-brainer solution to many big health problems.

2 Likes

Vitamin D intake could reduce cancer mortality in the population by twelve percent - provided the vitamin is taken daily. This was the result of an evaluation of 14 studies of the highest quality conducted at the German Cancer Research Center with a total of almost 105,000 participants.

1 Like

I take 5000 units of vitamin D daily (one of the four things presently in my “stack” aside from GlyNAC and citrus bergamot — I’m working up to Rapamycin) and my vitamin D (25OH) levels are 49 ng/mL (the lab test says “optimal” is 30-80 and possible toxicity is >150). Is this a good number? Frankly I would have thought this was slightly too low for longevity and protective levels. I also shudder to think what my levels would be if I didn’t take the 5000 units.

The longevity presentation (https://www.rapamycin.news/uploads/short-url/ySnFHZuY4yqoc64sVeftHkL0dFz.pdf) (thank you, @RapAdmin ) chart on page 29 suggests 30ng/mL is “optimal” from the perspective of a hazard ratio minimum, and my current levels are on the other side of a “u” curve with a slightly increased hazard level. Although the notes then go on to say the increased hazard at higher D levels is under discussion.

The longevity study referenced above said “average” population levels were 45nmol (roughly 18ng/mL). (https://scitechdaily.com/new-study-finds-that-vitamin-d-could-help-extend-your-life/?j=323783&sfmc_sub=138499328&l=235_HTML&u=6523776&mid=514007898&jb=552&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Longevity%2BSpotlight_January%2B2023_CUSTOMER&utm_term=Read%2BArticle%2B-%2BArticle%2B%232&utm_id=323783&sfmc_id=138499328&senderprofile=promotional)

The German study referenced above by @DeStrider (https://www.dkfz.de/en/presse/pressemitteilungen/2023/dkfz-pm-23-27-Reduced-cancer-mortality-with-daily-vitamin-D-intake.php) suggested 20ng/mL was “low”.

Part of the reason I started taking D is for vitiligo ( which I have, albeit not as noticeable in my light skin). A Brazilian dermatology research group found that massive daily doses of 35,000 units of D daily for a six month period reduced vitiligo spots by a meaningful percentage for 14 of 16 subjects. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3897595/). But truthfully I’ve seen zero change, although at 5000 units I am taking 1/7th what this study suggested.

Any thoughts on this? Should I take more daily? Do I have too much? — should I take 5000 units every two days instead? Thank you.

1 Like

Vitamin D is a bit tricky. Too little is horrible but too much is bad. Most “experts” say we should supplement with 800-1000 IUs daily. I have a vitamin D deficiency, so I too take 5000 IUs daily. My parents used to take 5000 IUs as well, but their lab tests came back as ‘too high’. I’d say it all depends on your biology. If you get a Vit D test and you are in the optimal zone, you can continue taking what you are taking or up the dosage a little. I am leery of going up too much as you can overdose.

1 Like

Because I have weekly blood tests I can adjust my supplementation for Vitamin D to maintain a certain Serum level. I also supplement with 25OHD to adjust the level whilst maintaining a daily figure of 3000iu in oil (perhaps 50% more bioavailable than in tablets).

I am currently trying to run at 200 nmol/l (80 ng/ml) I was a little worried that running a bit high has the potential for ectopic calcification. The figure of 200 nmol/l is at the higher end of the normal range.

I have been in the 400s and I know that a steady state of 3000iu for me results in 90. I agree that you have have too much vitamin D, but it is key transcription factor for a number of genes and if my cells want those genes to work I would like them to work and not be held back by a shortage of vitamin D.

1 Like

Having been diagnosed with a deficiency I’ve been supplementing with 1000iu for years.
Tried going up to 2000 recently but started to get muscle cramps (apparently can be a sign of too much vit D ).
Returned to 1000 level and no muscle cramps since.
I guess I’ve found my sweet spot.

1 Like

Your case makes a good point as to our different biologies. I think this is why the experts recommend 800-1000 IU daily. It pretty much works for everyone. Higher doses may be appropriate for some, but not everyone. This is where testing becomes important.

I strongly disagree that 800-1000 IU pretty much works for everyone. Quite on the contrary, except in countries where people get a lot of sun exposure, 800-1000 is too little for pretty much everyone. The reason why people and regulatory agencies are afraid of recommending much higher intakes, despite the evidence of them being necessary for many populations to achieve optimal blood levels, is largely caused by the fact that studies on ultra high doses of vitamin D2 show potential toxicity. D2 used to be used to fortify foods and was also given in high doses to patients, and yes, it is toxic in very high doses. However these effects are not seen with the natural vitamin D3 which is what you will find in supplements. It’s almost impossible to get toxic effects from D3. The safety of high dose D3 is obvious if you consider that you can easily produce 10.000 IU of D3 by spending an hour at the beach without sunscreen, so obviously the body evolved to get 10.000 IU daily.

1 Like

If you have not already seen, review the Coimbra Protocol.

2 Likes

Similar to this research, there is a Brazilian research group who has used high daily vitamin D doses (35,000 IU daily for six months) to treat psoriasis and vitiligo with some success (not 100% but spot remission of 25-75% which isn’t bad and can be meaningful, but not a “cure”). I pasted the link to their paper somewhere on this forum. It is one reason I am taking 5,000 IU per day (but have seen no impact — probably too low) l; my recent vitamin D levels were roughly 30 with this protocol (what would it be without supplementation?). I am afraid to go higher as I have one kidney, albeit functioning perfectly with GFR as if I have two. Also vitiligo isn’t that bad for me at least, given my skin tone.

1 Like

We are short of research that links supplementation to serum level. I have my own information from my weekly tests, but am not aware of any other source of information using that frequent a test regime.

I top up using 25OHD every so often to keep my levels at the top end of normal. (which for UK measurements is around 200 (nmol/L) viz 80 in USA measurements (ng/ml))

1 Like

FWIW

You are not going to like my comment/posting on this.

In my view You are incorrect.

Plenty of published research and data.

Just to start;

A key point about 25OHD is that the rate of consumption varies. I think it varies depending upon the level of 25OHD. Hence what is needed is research which looks at how to maintain a particular serum level in different circumstances.

The study you have highlighted does not tell anyone how much vitamin D to take to maintain a particular serum level. It simply says: “Three weeks of vitamin D supplementation had a positive effect on serum 25(OH)D levels in endurance trained runners and it caused a marked decrease in post-exercise biomarkers levels. We concluded that vitamin D supplementation might play an important role in prevention of skeletal muscle injuries following exercise with eccentric muscle contraction in athletes.”

1 Like

Best to take vitamin D in the morning with fats and a light meal.

http://www.financialexpress.com/life/what-is-the-best-time-to-take-vitamin-d-heres-your-ultimate-guide-to-supplement-consumption-certified-by-health-experts-bkg-3345749/

2 Likes

Hello wonderful Rapacommune.

I’ve been reading this forum for a while.

Tomorrow I’ll start with my first 1 mg!

I’m 61, female (post meno) and brown.

I’ve been D vitamin deficient for a while (20). (Finding this out was a huge relief - it explained so many things that have been plaguing me - why I can’t deadlift what I used to, why my dxa scan is showing osteopenia 2 years after a normal report etc) I’ve just started the 3 month high dose regimen. I skimmed through this topic, couldn’t find anyone saying taking rapa with high dose D will turn me into a lizard.

So, I’m going for it.

I am not on any social media this is my only online community and I think the Admin, and all youall are really kind, and a real community and I’m excited to be one of you!

I plan to do basic blood work every so often (my doctor is “not excited” about me taking this - “you are not a mouse” he said when I gave him the mouse studies :slight_smile: but said he would look after me anyway - good guy.

I got a friend to bring a stash of sirolimus from India (he called the pharmacy and they delivered after 20 minutes - it cost about 10% of what I expected!!)

Very few women on the forum, hopefully we’ll see more by and by. If you’re here but not participating, please do, to keep me company :slight_smile: and it will help us all to know how things are going for women on Rapamycin.

Hopefully I got all this right and posted in the right way and place…

Thank you dear Admin and all of you here for the great discussions, information, openness, and peaceful coexistence.

8 Likes

What evidence is there for that crazy level !? Every study I encountered shows no benefit above 20 or 30… BTW, this is same Gundry with his crazy and unsupported LECTIN avoidance recommendations.

3 Likes

Recommendations are all over the place for this one. I’ve taken 5000/day for years and aim for 25-OH of 50 ng/ml. Last check was 48. I worry about going to high because I have a bad CAC and a high value makes me nervous about making it worse.

I have 2 sperti lamps and use them for 5 minutes every day after my shower. I’ve read that the D generated by light is 100% absorbed. This seems like the better route and there are several other chemical changes accomplished at the same time that help. Something to do with vitamin A.

You are supposed to take the fat soluable vitamins in a certain ratio. Greatly overdosing on just one causes your body to send in the cleanup team, which then indiscriminately cleans up all fat soluable vitamins. So if you’re a little low on A or K, suddenly you may become very low and cause problems. Something to think about if you are taking a huge dose.

It is very civilized here, as much as can be with people that disagree on things that can’t be proven. Welcome and good luck,

5 Likes

Below 30 ng/ml is deficient in vitamin D. I aim for 40-50. I am taking 10,000 IUs daily. At 5,000 IU daily, I was at 30 ng/ml. I hope the extra 5,000 IUs can push me into 40-50. I’ll find out this summer when I test again.

2 Likes

I never thought of lamps for myself though I recommended family in the north and northwest get them! I’m in Florida and it just never occurred to me - obvious and thanks for that!

This is really a great community. I’ve heard it’s not like this in the world :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What are the risks to consider with high Vit D in this context @Bicep ?