Vaccines for longevity

It looks like vaccines should be useful for longevity because they prevent serious illnesses caused by viruses, but also because many other conditions often associated with age seem to be triggered by viral infections

For instance, see:
i) Longitudinal analysis reveals high prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus associated with multiple sclerosis

ii) Possible Connection Between Herpes Group of Viruses and Various Conditions that Arise with Age

iii) Lower Risk for Dementia Following Adult Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) Vaccination

The question I had is what are the vaccines that are currently available for adults to take? Do you know where I can find this information?

Hereā€™s CDCā€™s recommended adult immunization schedule. Adult Immunization Schedule by Vaccine and Age Group | CDC But Iā€™m sure this should be missing many other available vaccines just because some viral infections are currently deemed as low risk or low incidence

5 Likes

Type 1 diabetes can also be triggered by viruses, although which ones is still open for debate. Enterovirus vaccines could go a long way in alleviating the increasing incidence of the disease. Those with the disease have 10-15 year decreased life spans, on average.

1 Like

Does simplyā€¦ sexual abstinence help prevent most of the herpesvirus risk?

I mean you have to look at the virome - there are MANY asymptomatic viral infections. Look at the virome project

Also, antiretrovirals may be pro-longevity (for transposons)

The Epstein-Barr virus is a kind of herpes virus that spreads mainly via saliva, for instance by kissing or drinking from the same glass

WAIT, so can eating from the same plate CAUSE IT? For so much of my life I was just not aware enough of this and didnā€™t care enough (tho sexual abstinence for me is trivialā€¦)

Background: Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) is a ubiquitous gamma-herpesvirus with which ~ 95% of the healthy population

Does vaccination still help if youā€™re infected? Similarly for CMVā€¦

==

also relevant - Persistent Infections with Diverse Co-Circulating Astroviruses in Pediatric Oncology Patients, Memphis, Tennessee, USA - PMC

In addition, NK cells
undergo expansion during virus infections, such
as those with mCMV (31), influenza A (57), or
vaccinia virus (58). Studies of CMV infection have
shown that NK cell activation may provide T
cellā€“independent protection against reinfection
by rapidly degranulating and producing cyto-
kines (31)

1 Like

Once the immune system is activated in younger individuals by SARS-CoV-2 infection, they look younger by the epigenetic clock due to a robust activation of the immune response that reflects in younger individuals (not that they are actually becoming younger).

Complementary longitudinal epigenetic clock analyses of 36 participants prior to and following Pfizer and Moderna mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccination revealed that vaccination significantly reduced principal component-based Horvath epigenetic clock estimates in people over 50 by an average of 3.91 years for those who received Moderna. This reduction in epigenetic clock estimates was significantly related to chronological age and immune cell-type compositional changes in B cells and plasmablasts pre- and post-vaccination. These findings suggest the potential utility of epigenetic clocks as a biomarker of COVID-19 vaccine responses. Future research will need to unravel the significance and durability of short-term changes in epigenetic age related to COVID-19 exposure and mRNA vaccination.

1 Like

Interesting. A confounder could then be autoimmune conditions? An active immune system may be a good thingā€”but not if it is unnecessarily attacking healthy cells.

Could this also mean that the clock may show increased aging while on rapa (if we assume some immunosuppresion), but reduced aging soon after coming off it?

1 Like

BTW, itā€™s interesting to me that there is much commentary about the off-target effects or the tuberculosis (live) vaccine on HSV.

But I canā€™t seem to find any work relating the varicella / herpes-zoster (live) vaccine on HSV.

1 Like

Nothing to Sneeze At: Viruses Raise Risk of Neurodegenerative Disease

Avoiding a severe bout of flu in middle age may protect a personā€™s future brain health, according to a large population-based study. In the January 19 Neuron, researchers led by Mike Nalls at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, reported that, among 450,000 people in Finland and the U.K., 12 common viral illnesses increased a personā€™s risk of developing any of six neurodegenerative diseases over 15 years. Pneumonia caused by the flu associated with five diseases, while viral encephalitis or meningitis posed the greatest risk for Alzheimerā€™s disease. The scientists suggest that vaccination against these viral illnesses might protect against neurodegenerative diseases.

https://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/nothing-sneeze-viruses-raise-risk-neurodegenerative-disease

2 Likes

Ageing is infectious (a recent episode from the This Week in Virology podcast)

1 Like
3 Likes

Does shingles vaccination cut dementia risk? Large study hints at a link

Analysis of nearly 300,000 people finds an association between the shingles jab and a lower rate of dementia ā€” but questions linger.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01824-1

2 Likes

Just saw this thread, which reminded me of a link I had saved, on a ā€œrepurposedā€ TB vaccine with other benefits.

I didnā€™t see it in the article, but I believe this is the TB vaccine currently used in Mexico. If Iā€™m ever in Mexico I might look into getting this one!

2 Likes
1 Like

Silly me ! image

When I say the title of the post, I thought it was quite literally about anti-aging vaccinesā€¦ā€¦something along these lines.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BWJones/status/1744540920908067108

4 Likes

I still donā€™t know if I want to take the yellow fever vaccine, and I havenā€™t read on how it affects non-cancer like heart disease and other things. Iā€™m still too much of a novice to understand these articles I am presenting, so maybe others will have another view. Iā€™m usually vaccine reticent, and never got the Covid vaccine, but as a traveler Iā€™m confronted with having to take the yellow fever vaccine, and have read some interesting stuff regarding its possible anti tumor affects:

https://www.embopress.org/doi/full/10.15252/emmm.201910375

Live 17D is widely used as a prophylactic vaccine strain for yellow fever virus that induces potent neutralizing humoral and cellular immunity against the wildā€type pathogen. 17D replicates and kills mouse and human tumor cell lines but not nonā€transformed human cells. Intratumoral injections with viable 17D markedly delay transplanted tumor progression in a CD8 Tā€cellā€dependent manner

The yellow fever vaccine can reduce breast cancer risk by 54 percent, according to a recent study.

Yellow Fever Vaccine
Live, attenuated viral vaccines are used for immunization against yellow fever in high risk and endemic areas since the late 1930s. Aznar et al. used in vitro data to show that yellow fever (YF) vaccine (live 17D strain) kills both mouse and human cancer cells (human tumor cell lines representing colon cancer, renal cell carcinoma, breast cancer, and melanoma). Non-transformed fibroblasts were not affected. Intratumoral injection of 17D in female C57BL/6 bearing established MC38 colon carcinoma and B16-OVA melanoma tumors showed delay in tumor growth, improved survival but no cures. Using the MC38 model contralateral tumors not injected also trended to slowed tumor growth without showing evidence of viral replication in the non-injected tumors. Analysis showed that tumor growth retardation was mediated via CD8+ T cells. A clear synergy was shown when used with anti-CD137 but not anti-PD-1 antibodies. Further testing indicated that pre-immunization with 17D to promote YF immunity prior to tumor cell inoculation improved efficacy of intratumoral treatment once tumors had become established, as did earlier treatment (6 days after inoculation rather than 8 days) (152).

Some support for the finding that immunization with 17D might have preventive effects is provided by an observational study by Mastrangelo et al. They showed that in a cohort of 12,804 Italian women vaccinated with YF 17D vaccine, breast cancer risk was reduced by about 50% (incidence rate ratio=0.46; 95% CI=0.26ā€“0.83) 2 years after vaccination (153). An earlier study by some of the same authors had investigated the effects of YF 17D immunization on melanoma risk. This cohort study, including a nested case-controlled study of melanoma and other cancers, showed that YF immunization was associated with a reduced risk of melanoma after 10 years (OR=0.26, 95% CI=0.07ā€“0.96) (154). However, a subsequent study in US military personnel by Hodges-Vazquez et al. reported a no significant protective effect (OR=0.93, 95% CI=0.78ā€“1.10) (155). The Mastrangelo study reported a protective effect after 10 years, whereas the US military study assessed the period up to 10 years. Importantly, one case-control study reported a positive association between YF immunization and the incidence of liver cancer (OR = 8.7, 95% CI: 1.0-76.3) but this association should be questioned by the small number of cases (n=11) and the multiple associations being tested (245 associations tested) (150).

A number of studies have shown that YF 17D induces polyvalent immune responses via activation of multiple TLRs on DC populations thereby eliciting a broad spectrum of innate and adaptive responses (156, 157).

To date the anticancer effects of YF 17D have not been investigated in a clinical trial setting.

2 Likes

Prospective cohort study evaluating the association between influenza vaccination and neurodegenerative diseases 2024

In conclusion, influenza vaccination is significantly associated with a reduced risk of incident dementia but not PD in community-dwelling adults in the UK Biobank population.

Fig. 1: Association between influenza vaccination and risk of dementia or Parkinsonā€™s disease in different subpopulations.

Fig. 2: Dose-response relationship of the association between influenza vaccination and risk of dementia or Parkinsonā€™s disease in the UK Biobank.

A dose-response relationship of the association was examined between the incidence of dementia/PD and cumulative FluVac, which was measured as the average number of influenza vaccinations per year (AvgFluVac) since the first vaccine dose. The AvgFluVac took a value in the interval of [0, 1] and a value approximating one indicated continuous vaccination while the value zero represented non-vaccinated status. We did not apply the total number of FluVac as the cumulative exposure because this measure could not differentiate between different patterns of vaccination that resulted in the same cumulative number34. For example, a participant who received five non-consecutive doses of FluVac would have the same total number as a participant who got vaccinated continuously for five years, regardless of how recently vaccination occurred. However, the AvgFluVac would change at different rates based on the vaccination pattern if participants were not vaccinated continuously. Then the AvgFluVac was modeled as a time-varying variate in two ways: categorical (0, ā‰¤0.4, 0.41 ~ 0.6, 0.61 ~ 0.8, and >0.8) and continuous (restricted cubic spline functions with five knots at 0, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, and 1 according to Desquilbet et al.35).

2 Likes

Since I have taken influenza vaccines for many decades, resulting in no flu for decades, I am happy to see that it may reduce the risk of developing dementia.

From my days in the Navy and traveling extensively for the company I worked for, I have had an absolute myriad of shots, too many to remember. As I was on an emergency response team for many years, I also got a slew of shots, including yellow fever. I was lucky enough not to travel to countries where this was a problem.

As to the yellow fever vaccine: I can find zero studies supporting its anti-cancer properties.
Yellow fever vaccine appears to be safe with few if any side effects.

Source: https://x.com/GidMK/status/1768068100862489073?s=20

Open Access Paper:

The role of COVID-19 vaccines in preventing post-COVID-19 thromboembolic and cardiovascular complications

Conclusions COVID-19 vaccination reduced the risk of post-COVID-19 cardiac and thromboembolic outcomes. These effects were more pronounced for acute COVID-19 outcomes, consistent with known reductions in disease severity following breakthrough versus unvaccinated SARS-CoV-2 infection.

1 Like

measles mumps vaccine? is there a connection here? I dont know

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2021/07/measles-mumps-antibodies-cancer.html

To find out how much protection cancer patients have against measles and mumps, the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center physician-scientist, along with his Hutch biostatistician colleague Elizabeth Krantz, led a project in 2019 to assess the levels of antibody protection against those viruses in that population.

The results, reported in a paper published today in JAMA Network Open, are not reassuring.

ā€œWe found one in four cancer patients tested lacked protective antibodies for measles, and it was more than one in three for mumps,ā€ said Krantz.

Measles virus offers an ideal platform from which to build a new generation of safe, effective oncolytic viruses. Occasional ā€œspontaneousā€ tumor regressions have occurred during natural measles infections, but common tumors do not express SLAM, the wild-type MV receptor, and are therefore not susceptible to the virus. Serendipitously, attenuated vaccine strains of measles virus have adapted to use CD46, a regulator of complement activation that is expressed in higher abundance on human tumor cells than on their non transformed counterparts. For this reason, attenuated measles viruses are potent and selective oncolytic agents showing impressive antitumor activity in mouse xenograft models. The viruses can be engineered to enhance their tumor specificity, increase their antitumor potency and facilitate noninvasive in vivo monitoring of their spread. A major impediment to the successful deployment of oncolytic measles viruses as anticancer agents is the high prevalence of pre-existing anti measles immunity, which impedes bloodstream delivery and curtails intratumoral virus spread. It is hoped that these problems can be addressed by delivering the virus inside measles-infected cell carriers and/or by concomitant administration of immunosuppressive drugs. From a safety perspective, population immunity provides an excellent defense against measles spread from patient to carers and, in fifty years of human experience, reversion of attenuated measles to a wild type pathogenic phenotype has not been observed. Clinical trials testing oncolytic measles viruses as an experimental cancer therapy are currently underway.