Vaccines for longevity

It looks like vaccines should be useful for longevity because they prevent serious illnesses caused by viruses, but also because many other conditions often associated with age seem to be triggered by viral infections

For instance, see:
i) Longitudinal analysis reveals high prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus associated with multiple sclerosis

ii) Possible Connection Between Herpes Group of Viruses and Various Conditions that Arise with Age

iii) Lower Risk for Dementia Following Adult Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) Vaccination

The question I had is what are the vaccines that are currently available for adults to take? Do you know where I can find this information?

Here’s CDC’s recommended adult immunization schedule. Adult Immunization Schedule by Vaccine and Age Group | CDC But I’m sure this should be missing many other available vaccines just because some viral infections are currently deemed as low risk or low incidence

3 Likes

Type 1 diabetes can also be triggered by viruses, although which ones is still open for debate. Enterovirus vaccines could go a long way in alleviating the increasing incidence of the disease. Those with the disease have 10-15 year decreased life spans, on average.

1 Like

Does simply… sexual abstinence help prevent most of the herpesvirus risk?

I mean you have to look at the virome - there are MANY asymptomatic viral infections. Look at the virome project

Also, antiretrovirals may be pro-longevity (for transposons)

The Epstein-Barr virus is a kind of herpes virus that spreads mainly via saliva, for instance by kissing or drinking from the same glass

WAIT, so can eating from the same plate CAUSE IT? For so much of my life I was just not aware enough of this and didn’t care enough (tho sexual abstinence for me is trivial…)

Background: Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) is a ubiquitous gamma-herpesvirus with which ~ 95% of the healthy population

Does vaccination still help if you’re infected? Similarly for CMV…

==

also relevant - Persistent Infections with Diverse Co-Circulating Astroviruses in Pediatric Oncology Patients, Memphis, Tennessee, USA - PMC

In addition, NK cells
undergo expansion during virus infections, such
as those with mCMV (31), influenza A (57), or
vaccinia virus (58). Studies of CMV infection have
shown that NK cell activation may provide T
cell–independent protection against reinfection
by rapidly degranulating and producing cyto-
kines (31)

1 Like

Once the immune system is activated in younger individuals by SARS-CoV-2 infection, they look younger by the epigenetic clock due to a robust activation of the immune response that reflects in younger individuals (not that they are actually becoming younger).

Complementary longitudinal epigenetic clock analyses of 36 participants prior to and following Pfizer and Moderna mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccination revealed that vaccination significantly reduced principal component-based Horvath epigenetic clock estimates in people over 50 by an average of 3.91 years for those who received Moderna. This reduction in epigenetic clock estimates was significantly related to chronological age and immune cell-type compositional changes in B cells and plasmablasts pre- and post-vaccination. These findings suggest the potential utility of epigenetic clocks as a biomarker of COVID-19 vaccine responses. Future research will need to unravel the significance and durability of short-term changes in epigenetic age related to COVID-19 exposure and mRNA vaccination.

Interesting. A confounder could then be autoimmune conditions? An active immune system may be a good thing—but not if it is unnecessarily attacking healthy cells.

Could this also mean that the clock may show increased aging while on rapa (if we assume some immunosuppresion), but reduced aging soon after coming off it?

BTW, it’s interesting to me that there is much commentary about the off-target effects or the tuberculosis (live) vaccine on HSV.

But I can’t seem to find any work relating the varicella / herpes-zoster (live) vaccine on HSV.