Using Rosemarinic acid for deglycation

Hi Everyone

I have read that one of the main causes of aging is something called glyciation which is when glucose molecules become fused to proteins. Apparently, as we age, we accumulate more and more glyciated proteins which effectively means that we are being slowly “cooked”.

I have also read that rosemarinic acid can deglyciate proteins, thus reversing this aspect of ageing.

I would be very grateful for your opinions about this.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

This has been posted a couple times, but It’s great for glycation

3 Likes

AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts) are one aspect of aging. I’ve not heard any people saying they think its a “main cause” of aging… but there is probably someone out there saying this. Who was it that was saying this?

How much have you read up on this Rosemaricinic Acid?

This is new to me - so I see a few interesting papers:

Full paper on Sci-Hub: https://sci-hub.wf/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.06.048

This paper is also interesting… perhaps we should add it to our senolytic skin cream?

Full Paper on Sci-Hub: Sci-Hub | Glycosylation of proteins of human skin fibroblasts is changed by rosmarinic acid | 10.1007/s00210-019-01732-0

More details:

Also - we have some earlier threads related to this following:

Here: Combination therapy of glycation lowering compounds reduces caloric intake, improves insulin sensitivity, and extends lifespan

Here: AGEs — Glycation podcast planning

Here: Advanced glycation end products or AGEs?

7 Likes

" In 2016, scientists studied the town because of its unusually high number of centenarians, some 300, with 20 percent of those reaching the age of 110.[4] This longevity occurs despite the fact that many of the elderly in Acciaroli smoke or are overweight."

One of the few dietary differences between the denizens of Acciaroli and that of the region in general is that they consume prodigious amounts of Rosemary.

5 Likes

Rosmarinic Acid is an HDAC inhibitor.

2 Likes

It appears that a large amount of Rosemarinic Acid (RA) is required. Does anyone know a source that would supply about 100-300mg of RA? Looking at Selfheal tincture at the moment but feeling like you knowledgeable folks would know more. Thank you :blush:

UPDATE: found this:

LifeLink’s Rosmarinic Acid Complex | 120 capsules | Antioxidant, Anti Aging | Gluten Free & Non-GMO | Made in the USA - Walmart.com

1 Like

Hi Everyone

Thank you all very much indeed for your replies.

Thank you, @Bicep, very much for the video. To be honest, I found the religious setting rather off-putting but I am not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It is very long so I do not have time to watch all of it. I have fast forwarded it to the bit that is relevant to this thread, namely the treatments for glycation. I exracted the following treatments from the video:

Lactoferrin
Exercise
EGCG
Thiazolidinediones

I have no idea how effective at deglycation any of the above treatments are but I will do some research into them.

As I have not watched the whole video, I do not know if it mentions rosemarinic acid but I get the impression that rosemarinic acid is probably better that the above treatments at deglycation. I might be wrong though.

Thank you @RapAdmin, for all of the very interesting links.

Thank you, @Zer0th_Zero, very much for the information about Acciaroli. It seems to shine a very favorable light on rosemary.

Thank you, @John_Hemming, very much for your comment about rosmarinic Acid being an HDAC inhibitor.

Thank you, @Walter_Brown, for the information about the LifeLink Rosmarinic Acid. As it happens, before you posted this, I actually found this on eBay and I ordered some. It has not arrived yet so I can’t comment about it yet. I hope it is not fake.

3 Likes

This was an interestinv thread!

I may play it safe and distribute generous portions of oregano and rosemary in my spice cocktail.

Here are the richest sources of rosmarinic acid and the approximate concentrations they contain (2):

• Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris L.): 61,000 ppm
  • Oregano: 55,000 ppm
  • Spearmint: 43,000 ppm
  • Rosemary: 38,957 ppm

Here are a few other good sources of rosmarinic acid (2):

• sweet basil0
  • mint
  • lemon balm
  • sage
  • Spanish sage
  • marjoram
  • thyme
  • lavender
  • perilla
  • beebalm
  • wild bergamot
  • creeping thyme
  • alehoof
  • summer savory
1 Like

Thank you, @Ulf, very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, when I click on the “2” links, they both arrive at a PubChem page with the following error message:

“Unexpected token ‘S’, “Status: 40”… is not valid JSON”

The PPMs are very useful. However, are they of the extracts or of the whole plants?

Thank you very much.

EDIT: I think that the PubChem website is broken at the moment.

Every day we find some new promising supplement, and I am not complaining, but I am already taking more supplements than I want to. It is difficult to decide which ones to choose.

The sheer beauty of rapamycin is you don’t have to take it forever to have a life-extending effect.

Most supplements you have to keep on taking forever for health-span benefits.

The people of Acciaroli most likely have been consuming rosemary for decades. The ones reaching 110, probably their entire adult life.

“benefits from consuming rosemary, as well as the other various ingredients regularly consumed in the local diet”

This is observational only. For all we know, there is something magic in the drinking water.

So, my top two supplements would be, rapamycin and acarbose, followed by cholesterol, lipid-lowering, and glucose-lowering supplements.

Because you would have to take rosmarinic acid for decades if not for life, I won’t be adding it to my “stack”, at this time.

3 Likes

I get the stack issue myself, but they aren’t consuming rosemary as a supplement, rather taste/aroma. And you can too.

Just to reiterate the utterly remarkable statistics (wikipedia math)…

Population 645
100+ 194
110+ 39

I looked up the supercentenarian numbers for here in the UK, population 67 million: ~12-18.

More than doubled by a “town” of 645.

So true, it is a basic fact, and it goes for many supplements (as well as for a healthy lifestyle). And that thinking is also important when we try to translate the results from the ITP and other studies. Interventions that show effects on biomarkers, health, and lifespan, when started late in life, is in a class of their own. Like for instance weight reduction, quitting smoking, exercise, improved sleep, traditional medical interventions, etc.

Those are basic interventions that have rather immediate effects on health as well as on biomarkers. They are, low-hanging fruits to pick. In this category I also add Rapamycin, Senolytics (like D+Q, Fisetin, and some other senolytic agents). Eliminating senescent cells might not have large (if any) effect on lifespan, but getting rid of senescent cells can have a dramatic effect on health (at least it did so on my health). To this category, I also add metabolic glucos/insulin control, Taurine and GLYNAC. This because, bringing back levels of T and GLYNAC to youthful levels has shown impressive results in primates and humans.

A commitment to lifelong interventions is not something that is feasible for most people. Not even for many biohackers. But there are quite a few very promising interventions in the pipeline. So I am hopful that I will add more interventions to this category.

Please share your thoughts on the subject.

1 Like

. I think a reasonable and realistic thing to do is to add lemon balm tea or a supplement to a sleep stack. I might try that myself, and if it improves my sleep, I get an immediate and desired positive effect on my sleep, which can translate into immediate health benefits. And then there is the option that it might improve long-term health and lifespan through other biological actions.

Oregano also has carvacrol which is an essential oil with anti biotic effects. My personal view is to go for mild HDAC inhibition effects. I drink some rosemary tea.

From the paper cited by RapAdmin, it looks promising to take rosmarinic acid for the skin.
But, it looks like it might take a fairly high dose of rosmarinic acid per kilogram of body weight. “Glycosylation of proteins of human skin fibroblasts is changed by rosmarinic acid” “Glycosylation of proteins of human skin fibroblasts is changed by rosmarinic acid - PubMed

From the paper “All used doses of RA significantly decreased core 1 β1-3galactosyltransferase mRNA and 25 and 50 μM acid significantly inhibited GalNAcα2-6-sialyltransferase mRNA”

So please, will one of you math or chemistry wizards convert this to a dose per kilogram of body weight? I tried and it made my head hurt and the answer I came up with couldn’t be right.

From “phytolab.com”, rosmarinic acid has a molecular weight of 360.32 g/mol.

Rosmarinic acid phyproof® Reference Substance | PhytoLab

1 Like

So, is it the Rosemary, or just great genetics is this group of people?

FWIW

I can not do anything about genetics.

I can take large amounts of rosemary.

Cheap insurance low cost, high pay out.

A Review of the Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Rosmarinic Acid on Inflammatory Disease

May I ask? Approximately how many supplements are you taking?

1 Like

Rosmarinic Acid and Related Dietary Supplements: Potential Applications in the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer

Therapeutic Potential of Rosmarinic Acid: A Comprehensive Review

1 Like