Urolithin A (UA) One of 4 Promising Agents 2024 by Brian Kennedy of NSU

It is one of very potent supplements for sure, in a good way. I felt great on it but couldn’t sleep on the day I took two tablets at once. The weird part was even though I only slept 2-3 I wasn’t tired at all the next day. I’m usually rekt completely when I don’t get at least 6-7 hours.

Another potent supplement is beta alanine (for me). I play golf a lot and every time I’d do 18 holes in the evening would get the muscles spasms/Charlie horse. Tried everything and some helped but didn’t cure. Since I started beta alanine I have had absolutely no muscle pains or spasms, plus I don’t get tired at all. Apparently it helps regulate acid in the muscles, and clearly that seems to had been the issue with my muscle spasms and not being deficient in minerals as it is thought.

3 Likes

Looking at Mucana Pruriens it appears to be something which feeds into quinones and that could result in electron transport chain stimulation much like menaquinone-7. I have also tended to find that ETC stimulation causes sleep problems, but also provides additional energy so the lack of sleep is not necessarily an issue.

I think I have moved on my metabolism so I can cope better with ETC stimulation, but for a while it was destined to cause sleep issues.

I have ordered some Mucana Pruriens to experiment with it when I am back onto boosting mitochondrial efficiency. I have stopped for a while because it is Christmas and I am out of my normal base. Hence I am not taking anything to boost quinones.

3 Likes

Mucuna pruriens seems to also help with Parkinson’s disease

and hypertension.

There is also the libidinal effect posted about earlier.

2 Likes

Yes it turns you into a “horse” lol

@John_Hemming what is your perspective on this - it’s seems like the company who has invested like crazy in this and has many of the patents - is primarily arguing that it supports healthy mitochondria and that it helps with needed mithophagy

They say there are hundreds of papers on this:

And link to many of the key ones here - that seem to be in high impact journals

1 Like
  1. Given the clinical study that shows that a daily dose of Mitopure leads ~6x more UA than the subset of the population that can get UA from pomegranate after drinking a full glass of 100% pomegranate juice I wonder if we would be find by just taking a quarter or even a sixth of the dose of this? (Could be done by taking on of the two “daily pills” every other day or every third day).

2. Or given that much of the mithophagy happens during the first month or two (see their web page, we should see if the papers back that up) if might be bought one takes it everyday day for a month or two and then wait another 4-6 months before doing it again (kind of like senolytics or how some of us do fasts now and then, but not all the time).

3. Or perhaps we could even combine some version of (1) and (2) above?

—-

Does anyone know if we can do any of the blood tests they did in the human studies to check our levels?

3 Likes

I looked a buying some at one stage. I coyld not then get it. Hence it remains in maybe.

1 Like

Re above cost saving strategy, some form of intermittent dosing does seems to have some merit based on this paper and post that I just saw on a different thread (though I have not read the paper yet, one of the forum said it was independent without conflicts of interest).

Does anyone know how to think about the one week on, one week off in mice could/should be translated to humans:

3 Likes

The more I look into it the more promising it seems!

See here - It may be marketed by Nestle under a different name in the UK instead of as Mitopure

For those in the US it looks like Mitopure can be bought via one other route - via the Nestle related product, Solgar brand family - @John_Hemming and others outside of US perhaps you can find that brand

https://cellularnutrition.solgar.com/cellular-strength

3 Likes

I have found Aeternum powder on Amazon. I will give it a shot. I am planning on taking Rapaycin on Tuesday so I won’t take the Urolithin A for a bit of time. I would like to see if it has any measurable impact.

3 Likes

Interesting :thinking:

Amazentis has two ongoing trials of Mitopure

The US National Cancer Institute (NCI) is also running a trial Placebo-Controlled Trial of Urolithin A Supplementation in Men With Prostate Cancer Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy, URO-PRO Trial.

4 Likes

Those who tried Mitopure (@Walter_Brown @Financial_Term_Struc @tananth and maybe others?): what were your conclusions?

@Neo: have you tried it? “given that much of the mithophagy happens during the first month or two” Do you say this based on this page and their claim “Day 30: New Healthy Mitochondria”? We need to look at research papers indeed, and most of them are published by Amazentis… I’d like to see independent studies on rodents or humans.

2 Likes

Didn’t feel any noticible difference but I found a cheaper generic available in the UK available on amazon: Aeternum UA - Urolithin A Powder - 15g : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Taking 500mg per day. Rather safe than sorry (as the saying goes :joy:)

Also - import duties were a killer.

1 Like

Thanks. Ah, I didn’t think about import duties; I might wait for Mitopure to be available in the UK then…

1 Like

Not yet, I just started really looking into it this week a little bit

This paper was said to be independent and may be one place to start and see what literature they cite:

2 Likes

This follow-up preprint from last month is very good as well: Amyloid β accelerates age-related proteome-wide protein insolubility.

In their previous rodent study, they used 25 mg/kg of UA in alternate weeks (1 week on, 1 week off) in males. ChatGPT tells me it would be about 120 mg for a 60-kg human. According to ChatGPT, humans should keep the 1-week cycle. So that’s about one Mitopure pill (250 mg) every other day for a week, then off. So about 90 Mitopure pills per year. So $125 to 200/y (as they sell by 60 and not by 90). However, in the rodent study, they started UA supplementation at 3 months of age, that’s 9 yo for a human. So this low dose may only work if started super early. Maybe you can do a first “big boost” of daily high-dose of Mitopure for one to three months and then keep the low “maintenance dose” every other day with one week on, one week off. Alternatively, ~2 Mitopure pills weekly. Or ~4 every two weeks.

2 Likes

@adssx Good find on that new paper.

Yes, something like this sounds interesting.

For me I’ll have to figure out how to combine the “waves” with my fasting periods.

Re the scaling from rodent to human - might be good to do the math outside of AI as they still can hallucinate / make things up. There are a couple of places on the forum that discuss how one can do those calcs.

I’d also triangulate it from the other direction - how much do we think should be safe and cost acceptable - and if that is higher than the rodent scaling calculation perhaps choose to dose somewhere in between the two levels.

Is the Nestle/Solgar version not available in the UK?

Does anyone know any way to test these levels - either via blood spot or normal blood testing somewhere?