Topical application of rapamycin for joint issues

I’m wondering if we applied rapamycin ointment directly on the areas of our joints with issues will it help? Is the skin able to absorb it directly into the surrounding affected areas?

Probably not In the study they did with topical rapamycin cream they could not detect any systemic blood rapamycin from the topical rapamycin cream. It wasn’t getting into the blood at all, so seems unlikely to getting into any joints or tissues. Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

So - if you’re looking to get rapamycin to joints and tissues its best to take it orally it seems.

3 Likes

In my mind the use topical use of DMSO with Rapamycin to penetrate tissue remains a possibility. Lot’s of evidence that DMSO by itself can help.

Related discussion at: Use of DMSO & Rapamycin for Destroying Subcutaneous Fat Cells

RapAdmin’s suggestion,

has some anecdotal evidence throughout the forum as well; along the lines of arthritis pain subsiding.

1 Like

DMSO definitely is more penetrant than many of the penetration enhancers used in skin creams, like transcutol. My concern is around the issue of what it might do to skin and tissue longer term. It doesn’t sound like its commonly used in skin creams, because of these issues.

just a little information I saw recently in a book on cosmetic dermatology that covered the excipients like transcutol and DMSO. See the bold comment on DMSO below. Here is an excerpt:

“Penetration enhancers

In this section, the influence of PEs on the diffusion coefficient and solubility of the active in the stratum corneum is evaluated. The use of topically applied chemical agents (surfactants, solvents, emollients) is a well‐known technique to modify the stratum corneum and also modify the chemical potential of selected actives. Collectively, these materials can be referred to as PEs. Based on the chemical structure, PEs can be categorized into several groups such as fatty acids, fatty alcohols, terpene fatty acid esters, and pyrrolidone derivatives [13]. PEs commonly used in skin care products have well‐known safety profiles but their ability to enhance penetration of an active is challenging because of the manifold ingredients used in many formulations.

Chemical enhancers

They are also known as absorption promoters and accelerants which are “pharmacological inert, nontoxic, nonirritating, nonallergic, rapid onset of action, and suitable duration of action, inexpensive and cosmetically acceptable [14].” A number of solvents (e.g. ethanol, propylene glycol, Transcutol® [Gattefossé, Saint‐Priest, France], and N‐methyl pyrrolidone) increase permeant partitioning into and solubility within the stratum corneum, hence increasing KP in Fick’s equation (equation 9.1). Ethanol was the first PE cosolvent incorporated into transdermal systems [15]. Synergistic[…]” “Synergistic effects between enhancers (e.g. Azone® [PI Chemicals, Shanghai, China], fatty acids) and more polar cosolvents (e.g. ethanol, propylene glycol) have also been reported suggesting that the latter facilitates the solubilization of the former within the stratum corneum, thus amplifying the lipid‐modulating effect. Similarly, solvents such as Transcutol are proposed to act by improving solubility within the membrane rather than by increasing diffusion. Another solvent, dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), by contrast, is relatively aggressive and induces significant structural perturbations such as keratin denaturation and the solubilization of membrane components [16]. Table 9.2 is a list of the more commonly utilized chemical PEs.”

Excerpt From Book:
Cosmetic Dermatology, Draelos, Zoe Diana;

4 Likes

FWIW

Dissolve rapamycin powder in DMSO {100%) then dilute the solution to 70%{ a 70% solution absorbs better through skin] use any oil, olive, coconut, etc to dilute

The rapamycin will penetrate through the skin.

Many posting on this(dissolving rapamycin)on this forum in other threads.

A PDF copy / linked below of the Classical Medical Book* on DMSO is posted on this forum in another thread

*Titled: “Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) in Trauma and Disease” by Stanley W. Jacob MD and Jack C. De La Torre

2 Likes

Great information.
re:

Another solvent, dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), by contrast, is relatively aggressive and induces significant structural perturbations such as keratin denaturation and the solubilization of membrane components [16].

I would think someone would use DMSO + Rapamycin for joint repair and/or pain relief intermittently rather than daily or more frequently in some kind of skin cream/treatment, reducing some of the downsides.

2 Likes

“If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late.” ~ Seth Godin

I think mine is more psoriatic arthritis as I tested negative for the other one. Hmmmm. Tomorrow I’ll get another blood test for day 7. I think the level should be low or non existent.