Use of DMSO & Rapamycin for destroying subcutaneous fat cells

The following patent recently came to my attention.

Abstract

The invention relates to the use of DMSO for destroying adipocytes and eliminating cellulite and adiposities, more particularly to the concentrations used for destroying adipocytes (fat cells) and eliminating cellulite and adiposities, in both males and females, resulting in the destruction of adipocytes, or fat cells, and the elimination of fat cells, which, in turn, are affected by rancidity and contain toxins, that is, rancid fat-containing cells generate cellulite since said cells sustain cellulitic nodules, which, in turn, are observed externally as the “orange peel” effect, which is more common in women and easily identified according to the degree of cellulite, and thus, by eliminating adipose cells, adiposity is naturally reduced, and consequently, there is a decrease in localized body fat.

The Forum has lots of references and uses of DMSO - as a carrier (e.g., @Agetron’s Rapamycin hair regrowth solution, skin cream), for additive value (@RapAdmin’s tooth paste formulation & other applications), and use to mitigate the affects of arthritis.

The information in this patent leads my thoughts to a range of applications of DMSO with and without Rapamycin.

Brainstorming follows. - Contributions|suggestions|warnings most welcome.

DMSO vs subcutaneous fat

Rapamycin taken orally can significantly reduce (even eliminate) visceral fat.
If memory serves, it can certainly affect subcutaneous fat, but perhaps not to the same degree.

I’ve thought of the following N-1 set of experiments.

Background - Even with the 15 pounds I’ve effortlessly lost since starting Rapamycin, I still carry some subcutaneous fat. I also contend with psoriasis (Rapamycin seems to help a bit) that I can reasonably manage by attention to my microbiome. I additionally, have some arthritis and stenosis - some from hard use some likely from autoimmune reaction (typically linked with inflammation).

Via Perplexity

Does subcutaneous fat contribute to inflammation?

…subcutaneous fat can contribute to inflammation, although the relationship between subcutaneous fat and inflammation is complex and can vary depending on the context. The primary focus of research and discussions around adipose tissue (body fat) and inflammation often centers on visceral fat, which is fat stored within the abdominal cavity and around internal organs. Visceral fat is more strongly associated with inflammation and metabolic disorders compared to subcutaneous fat, which is stored beneath the skin. However, subcutaneous fat can also be involved in inflammatory processes. For instance, panniculitis is an inflammation of the subcutaneous fat from various causes, indicating that subcutaneous fat can indeed become inflamed and contribute to disease states…

Conjecture 1 - Application of DMSO topically around areas of subcutaneous fat reduces fat and thereby reduces inflammation and lowers systemic inflammation “load”.

Conjecture 2 - Application of a solution of DMSO & Rapamycin, would do all of this faster and more effectively.

Practicalities

I have some powdered Rapamycin in capsules, that I used in both my version of hair tonic, toothpaste, and added to Na-PCA as an alternative to skin cream. I find it dissolves readily in Minoxidil and transcutol respectively. It should easily dissolve in DMSO. I’ll try and see.

I have memories of reading and hearing about the topical application of DMSO for injuries and arthritis from Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, see Life Extension. If memory serves, they suggested that one should take oral antioxidants when using DMSO. I’ll do some additional research. Any thoughts|guidance appreciated.

Since DMSO can carry other things into your body, one needs to deliberately clean areas before applying - wash with soap and water then wipe the area with alcohol.

Questions

Rapamycin in topical use (skin cream or hair tonic) or in toothpaste uses so little that it doesn’t appear to add to systemic levels. Additionally, this type of use doesn’t likely penetrate that body very far.

Using Rapamycin as an addition to DMSO would almost certainly take it into subcutaneous fat.
What happens next?

Would the kind of flushing of subcutaneous fat from the body by DMSO carry the Rapamycin to the liver or kidneys or systemically through out the body?

Does|would Rapamycin have a far shorter half life when it engages so directly in such an application?

Does anyone have thoughts on dosing of DMSO and/or DMSO + Rapmycin?

Going further?

Beyond dealing with subcutaneous fat, would DMSO provide a better way to “take” Rapamycin than orally? No issue with stomach acid. Worth considering?

Topical application of a DMSO & Rapamycin solution might make prove very effective for (i) injuries, (ii) recovery from intense training, (iii) recovery from surgeries (torn meniscus surgery, joint replacement, repairs), and (iv) arthritis, gout, and related autoimmune conditions.

Thoughts appreciated.

3 Likes

Bad news for facial fat pads!

1 Like

Every “method” described in the patent/patent application has been used for several decades.

You real think they will have the re$ource$ to “Protect/defend themselves”, unlikely.

The Master of DMSO was Stanley W Jacob MD, his classical medical book “Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) in Trauma and Disease” should be reviewed by anyone interested in DMSO.

DMSO is almost the perfect solvent, as it will carry almost any compound topical or systemically.

A PDF copy of Jacob’s book is posted on this site.

1 Like

Hey Joseph,

The patent application had a 2010 date. I have no interest in their ability to defend it. I only care about biohacking with this stuff :wink:

No - I don’t think so. At high concentration DMSO seems rather harmful to cells. See this commentary on DMSO and other penetration enhancers from a dermatology textbook: Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation - #320 by RapAdmin

I thought some of this came not from the DMSO itself, but rather from the byproducts (e.g., oxidants and toxins) released when it does its work on tissues. Subcutaneous fat holds toxins. Break it down and the toxins get released into the body. This can have a significant toxic affect.

I have understood that one should always use antioxidants and possibly chelation agents and activated charcoal when using DSMO to offset such after affects.

1 Like